Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Silver Police Evo VIII in Sussex

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2006, 07:16 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver Police Evo VIII in Sussex

Has anyone else seen this ? I've only ever seen it hovvering around the A24 but yesterday it was crawling along the hard shoulder of the A23 with its hazard lights on then sprinting after anyone slightly over 70. It only has LED's in the front grill so its very hard to spot, but i've heard they are likely to entice you into going after it then banning you on the spot. I'll keep an eye out for the registration next time, but i felt it was a good idea to let fellow scooby owners know.
Personally when i see a silver EvoVIII anywhere now i take it easy until i can see who's inside.

Sussex Police are taking a hard line on dangerous and anti-social drivers on the roads of Sussex.
In a bid to curb the increase in drivers who drive at excessive speeds and in a way which causes alarm and distress to other road users, Sussex Police have drafted in a number of different unmarked, high-performance vehicles that are able to deter a hardcore of motorists who insist on putting people’s lives at risks.
High performance vehicles such as the Mitsubishi Evolution, Mercedes C Class and Skoda Superb are amongst a diverse fleet of unmarked vehicles that are currently patrolling the Sussex road network.
Not only that, but due to an agreement with neighbouring forces such as Kent, Surrey and Hampshire it means that there’s an even larger fleet of vehicles of every type – so you really can’t guess if the vehicle behind has a police officer sat inside!
With some vehicles capable of achieving in the region of 152mph top speed, there really isn’t much that’s going to get away – and that’s the message Sussex Police want to get across.
At any one time there will be a number of unmarked vehicles patrolling a different part of the road network. They could be anywhere, but you can never tell exactly where, and forget about looking for large saloons with two aerials – these vehicles are much more sophisticated. They have all the kit to show that they mean business and you would be hard pushed to identify an unmarked police vehicle day or night.
Whilst some may think that it’s an expensive way to deter anti-social driving, it really is a small price to pay. For every fatal road traffic crash that happens in Sussex, it costs at least one life and the taxpayer £1,000,000.

*If you don't have anything constructive to say please don't post, if you are intending to flame me in any way for any grammar or spelling mistakes please don't post*.

Last edited by 94impreza; 04 July 2006 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04 July 2006, 07:44 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

yes he popped into the Sussex meet on Sunday & said hello !
Old 04 July 2006, 07:45 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

but i've heard they are likely to entice you into going after it then banning you on the spot
And how may i ask do they ban you on the spot being as it is a court of law that only has the power to do that?
Also, you say "i've heard", is that a chinese whsiper kinda heard whereby it is total pish, or is that from a friend who it happened to?
And apart from that, i cant fault em having ell them cars, they are needed in this day and age. There are enough nutters out there to warrant it imho.
But you only have to remember this one simple little fact, when someone is up your **** pushing you down the road, have the common sense to ignore the daft ****s, and then if they do happen to be the police, you will never get caught out. Its simple really tbh.
Old 04 July 2006, 08:11 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Yes i was told, thats why i used the phrase "I've heard...". If it isn't used to entice people into breaking the law why isn't it stickered up ? Apparently and i'm not saying its true they followed a friend of a friend (yes i know) in his 1.9GTI (lol) to the point where he put his foot down to get away. Then pulled him over.
Whereabouts are you Fulham 71 ?

Last edited by 94impreza; 04 July 2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04 July 2006, 08:14 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

surrey
Old 04 July 2006, 09:10 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94impreza

Only looks like a 260 , now if it was an FQ...........
Old 04 July 2006, 09:12 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

according to him its a std bottom of the range one & not quick at all !
Old 04 July 2006, 09:14 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Red face Patronising or what.

Originally Posted by stupid journalist
For every fatal road traffic crash that happens in Sussex, it costs at least one life
NSS
Old 04 July 2006, 09:14 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fulham71
according to him its a std bottom of the range one & not quick at all !
my sentiments exactly
Old 04 July 2006, 09:28 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

somebodys going to throw their teddy in a minute.
Old 04 July 2006, 10:13 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by speedking
NSS
NSS= No sh*t, Sherlock?????

Just curious!

I'd like to see a breakdown of that 1 million figure too!

Ns04
Old 04 July 2006, 10:13 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

i would like to know the legality of where the police would stand on this one. for instance, im a relatively new driver (about 4 months) and yes i drive an impreza. now if i saw an evo right up my jacksee looking at driving aggressively (without knowing its the police) and i then make a mistake, and say had an accident from being under pressure with a lack of raod experience, would the police pick up my funeral tab?

im looking at this from a serious point as more and more people are buying powerful cars younger these days due to the prices dropping (yes i know me included). besides booking people for speeding what do police expect to gain from this if indeed it is true.

the police are trained to be able to meet difficult driving conditions in pressure situations, but i am not, so if one is up my **** end (an unmarked police car) and i dont realise it is a unmarked car, he/she would react a damn site more quickly then i would had have more experience on what to do than me.

does anyone else feel the same on this as a genuine concern? it kinda worries me that they would use this tactic to entice law breaking.

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 04 July 2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04 July 2006, 10:25 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It's quite legal, although it is totally unacceptable.
Old 04 July 2006, 10:47 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Its a form of entrapment however you look at it. Personally i would love to have the opportunity to face the same tests and training as the police do before they are handed a 260BHP car but this is not offered no matter of cost to the general public. To say on one hand people are driving irresponsibly and then denying them the right to under-go the same extensive training is the highest form of hypocracy (spelling).
Old 04 July 2006, 05:19 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I got pulled in the City of London by an unmarked Astra Diesel one night. He'd apparently spotted me on my phone, then decided to sit right up my ****, trying to get past me. So I dropped it and he pulled me. Had bags of attitude but my argument was he was driving far too close to me and I obviously didn't expect the police to behve like that. He checked car and licence and gave me a "warning". Real attitude problem and very unconstructive policing.

I find it hard to belive the police will try and bait you in general, I'm sure it is not a tactic that is approved and it actually doesn't make any sense. The police, as far as I am aware, aren't on commission and would the driver rather be filling out forms at his desk for eight hours or tanking around in an Evo? IMO I would be surprised to get pulled by one of these unless you are making serious headway. IMO.
Old 04 July 2006, 08:21 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

There is an Octavia VRS in Stafford that I have personally seen pulling a chavved up Saxo on a friday night, and there is also a modded (Max Power) Omega 3.0 that does bait people, then sticks on the blues. Its a proper modded car, tinted windows, Lexus lights (or the equivalent), totally not the kind of thing you'd expect unmarked police to use. My mate had someone trying to bait him in his Impreza (94 JDM wrx) and this Omega then baited them, and pulled them.

Totally unfair IMHO, but I also understand that the nature of driving offences has changed so the police methods must change.

Dan.
Old 04 July 2006, 08:21 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive seen the police Evo loads of times in Sussex, been baited a couple of times as well.

The last time was on the M23

James
Old 04 July 2006, 09:46 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

seen it a few times aswell on the m23. i work in london alot so i am always aware of it it did pull over a silver celica, that had been driving up my *** on the slip road from the m25-m23 once. the celica roared pass me up the hill. as i got to the brow i saw the evo giving chase after him. "oh what a shame" i thourght a couple of miles down the road , the old bill had caught up and were in the middle of given him a bolloking!!
Old 05 July 2006, 08:55 AM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

It was sitting on the A24 at buckbarn lights last night, just parked up watching the traffic go by. The EVO is an easy spot, the white C Class estate is a little less obvious, and I haven't seen any skodas yet.
Old 05 July 2006, 09:16 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I'm always careful when I see another 'performance car' approaching me from behind.....
Old 05 July 2006, 09:27 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

well a friend of mine was in his dads 3.2 ltr TT one night going down M55 when a black car came up behind trying to entice him. it then pulled up by the side and had blacked out windows, my mate shat it and floored it at over 140mph to next junction and did one. his dad got a visit fro police next day about it and after taking to my mate, his dad (who is a soliciator) rang the traffic police at preston and blasted them for putting his sons life in danger and for not identifying themselves as police, my mate thought he was going to get car jacked. 11 months later still no summons.

so not sure on how legal this tactic is
Old 05 July 2006, 09:28 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by phil_wrx
well a friend of mine was in his dads 3.2 ltr TT one night going down M55 when a black car came up behind trying to entice him. it then pulled up by the side and had blacked out windows, my mate shat it and floored it at over 140mph to next junction and did one. his dad got a visit fro police next day about it and after taking to my mate, his dad (who is a soliciator) rang the traffic police at preston and blasted them for putting his sons life in danger and for not identifying themselves as police, my mate thought he was going to get car jacked. 11 months later still no summons.

so not sure on how legal this tactic is
Maybe just lucky?.... but goes to show how careful you need to be!
Old 05 July 2006, 09:31 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danwrx1980
There is an Octavia VRS in Stafford that I have personally seen pulling a chavved up Saxo on a friday night, and there is also a modded (Max Power) Omega 3.0 that does bait people, then sticks on the blues. Its a proper modded car, tinted windows, Lexus lights (or the equivalent), totally not the kind of thing you'd expect unmarked police to use. My mate had someone trying to bait him in his Impreza (94 JDM wrx) and this Omega then baited them, and pulled them.

Totally unfair IMHO, but I also understand that the nature of driving offences has changed so the police methods must change.

Dan.
entrapment is still illegal, its just a story to make people think before racing down roads.
Old 05 July 2006, 09:32 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

entrapment is still illegal, its just a story to make people think before racing down roads.
Yep... like I said earlier... I'm always super careful nowadays!.......
Old 05 July 2006, 09:33 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Maybe just lucky?.... but goes to show how careful you need to be!

yeh i said he is one lucky person but yes he has learned a lesson, theres nothing like thinking u will lose your licence to slow you down
Old 05 July 2006, 09:34 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

yeh i said he is one lucky person but yes he has learned a lesson, theres nothing like thinking u will lose your licence to slow you down
Yep, it's certainly a great wake-up call
Old 05 July 2006, 11:40 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
I got pulled in the City of London by an unmarked Astra Diesel one night. He'd apparently spotted me on my phone, then decided to sit right up my ****, trying to get past me. So I dropped it and he pulled me. Had bags of attitude but my argument was he was driving far too close to me and I obviously didn't expect the police to behve like that. He checked car and licence and gave me a "warning". Real attitude problem and very unconstructive policing.

I find it hard to belive the police will try and bait you in general, I'm sure it is not a tactic that is approved and it actually doesn't make any sense. The police, as far as I am aware, aren't on commission and would the driver rather be filling out forms at his desk for eight hours or tanking around in an Evo? IMO I would be surprised to get pulled by one of these unless you are making serious headway. IMO.
Why you find it hard to believe Police won't bait you? They are human first police second so what ever low life you find in society it's present also in the police, the hospital, the army, everywhere. So will police bait you? Some most definately will!!
Old 05 July 2006, 11:56 AM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon

Unfortunately it IS a tactic the police use, and often.

A trip to Max Power live proved this years ago, when the police had a red Porsche patroling the motorway and even enticing modded cars to race him.
Old 05 July 2006, 01:19 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Sh*t police tactics if you ask me.

Had an un marked do this to me some time ago. An emergency stop deterred him quite quickly. Yes I got pulled over but when I asked him why he didnt see the dog I had to brake hard for he just smiled, after all it was my word against his.

They drive up your back side, you brake, they hit you, who's at fault?

Being pulled for speeding is one thing but being enticed into it is way out of order. They do it again, I brake harder.

Daz
Old 05 July 2006, 01:23 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap Import
Unfortunately it IS a tactic the police use, and often.

A trip to Max Power live proved this years ago, when the police had a red Porsche patroling the motorway and even enticing modded cars to race him.
how exactly was he enticing you. By what winding his window down and shouting you wanna race? Remember these cars aren't really their's and so they're just angry they don't have one (well thats what I like to think) ....

Quick Reply: Silver Police Evo VIII in Sussex