Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Fast road pads for AP CP5200

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2014, 09:42 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Fast road pads for AP CP5200

Right, new brake pad time! Basically I have Godspeed discs and Bluestuff NDX pads on the OEM WRX 4pots at the moment and while for the majority of day to day brisk driving they're fine, I've seriously struggled a couple of times when the pads just overheat and fade to nothing which isn't ideal. Worst case was trying to make Applecross for dinner last september over the Bealach n'Ba when they were cooked before even getting to the top of the pass, letalone the drop back down to the seaward side...

Anyway, I know you can make the brakes work at high temperatures for rally use but this then has a knock on effect of killing low speed performance day to day. With the calipers also needing a bit of a refurb I've elected to go down the route of CP5200 AP calipers on 330mm discs.

So the question therefore is which pads? I'm of the feeling that the Bluestuff are in a bit of nomans land with these brakes, especially given the breadth of pads available and how cheap they are. I've got in my head EBC Orangestuff (£75ish) as a possibility, Pagid RS4's (£60ish), the good old faithful Ferodo DS2500 (£90ish) or Mintex M1155 (£75ish), all of which seem to come in at favourable prices. I haven't checked out anything CL or PF.

Now don't get me wrong, I can be very hard on brakes but I'm generally not, and that means that lower temperature performance is just as important to me as the high temp capacity. Partly I'm thinking that something like the Orangestuff would still be ok over the Bluestuff (which are fine from cold) given that the brakes themselves are bigger and therefore have greater clamping power which would offset any slight decrease in friction coefficient when cold...although that said they may also take longer to heat up!

No trackdays, just fast road driving in a 300bhp WRX...

Does Ian (Godspeed), or anyone else have any input?!

Cheers!

Last edited by ST-X; 14 April 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 14 April 2014, 11:31 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

ferodo ds2500 is what come as standard on the AP BB kits , I would try Pagid as well
Old 15 April 2014, 07:45 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speak to Alyn at ASP, he'll have some good options on pads. Although he's on holiday at the moment, so maybe wait a week or so, then give him a call.
Old 27 April 2014, 10:45 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluestuff are poor on AP's,
Old 28 April 2014, 06:45 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Frankly I wouldn't touch EBC brakes again end of.As has been already said by Bighead the Ferodo DS2500 come standard with the AP calipers and are more then adequate for your intended driving use,So I don't really see a need to change from the Ferodo but if you have to I would opt for the Performance Friction pads there brake pads and disc are Superb,I have Been running them for the last ten years and they have been faultless,contact Alyn from ASPERFORMANCE or Ian of Godspeed for prices and options.SJ.
Old 28 April 2014, 07:48 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the ferrodo DS2500 on my AP4pots and they cope with everything, I need a new set as well and will probably have them again. I don't do track days but i'm out in the "mountain" region of Croatia so they get a pretty good work out when I'm in the mood, they last pretty well too.

I had EBC blue stuff on my STI Type R with subaru 4 pots and think they aren't up to much, the pads started to dis-intigrate as they got low too, so I didn't get the last 5/6mm out of them like I can with the ferrodos.

There might be cheaper pads that work just as well but if they don't give good wear it starts to get expensive changing them every 6 months as opposed to every 18months. These have lasted about 13,000 miles and still have a couple thousand left. Mixed driving.