Brake problems, please help

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 09:23 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Dearest Scoobynetters,
3 months ago I had a very loud squealing/rubbing noise coming from the driver side rear wheel. I took the car to a dealership who found all the clips had snapped off and the backing plates had actually come away from the pads (Pagid FR), so new pads (standard ones) where fitted and no explanation of why this had happened was given.

When the new pads where put in I noticed a noise from the suspect wheel, which sounds like an alarm bell ringing, only very faint and only notice it with the window down and driving close to parked cars. Must be cause there new I thought, but now the pads have 3K on them I would have thought they were worn in by now. And now I get a very loud squealing (like an old iron gate being opened and closed), when reversing.
Anyone had the same/similar problem or any ideas to what it could be and what I could do to fix it would be great.
Cheers.
Ian.

MY96 UK Turbo - Standard brake setup.
Old 29 May 2002, 11:13 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

I'm I the only person to have brake problems?, surely not.
Old 29 May 2002, 12:44 PM
Phiroze
Scooby Regular

Hello mate,

i also have a few problems, but they are slightly different. I have an Sti Type, which is making a squeeling noise from the front N/S wheel. I jacked the car up last night - and ther seems to be an awaful lot of play in the wheel. Does this mean that the bearings need replacing?

If so, are they expensive - any reccomendation would be very welcome.

Also, i seem to have a problem with the brakes, the car certainly stops, however, the pedal travel varies each time you apply pressure, -it could be right at the top or quite far down.

I thouhgt there may be an air lock in the system somewhere, but have jsut had the brakes bled and it has not made any difference - is this normal??

If anyone has any suggesstions, please could you email me on pb@optimumconuslting.uk.com or call me on 07971 289 581.

Many thanks
Old 29 May 2002, 12:53 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Play in the wheel can only be the bearing really, unless the wheel nuts are loose, get it sorted straight away if the bearing locks at speed you could find your self in trouble. If it is a loose bearing then that could be effecting the brakes.
Mine doesn't have any visible problem so having trouble diagnosing the problem still.
Old 29 May 2002, 02:10 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Old 30 May 2002, 07:59 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 31 May 2002, 01:17 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
HelloM8, always err on the side of caution with brakes and get them professionally checked out. Okay?

You obviously had a problem that was sorted, but maybe there's something else going on?

Maybe a servicing issue. Squealing rears is common when reversing and probably not terminal nor related to the first problem.

Get your rears looked at and checked for lazy (sticking) pistons, application of copper-grease etc. Maybe they just need pulling apart, checking, and reassembly. I had mine done recently and now they work fine, pad wear is even side to side, and they don't squeal.

Richard.
Old 31 May 2002, 10:04 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

where did you get your brakes serviced?
Old 01 June 2002, 12:15 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

If it is a ringing sound at the rear, it is probably something loose within the handbrake drum. Subarus have discs and calipers on the rear, and within the hub a small drum brake which is operated by the handbrake cables.
I used to experience this sort of thing all the time on my golfs when the little used parts started rusting and splitting when used.
Old 01 June 2002, 09:53 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Its extremely rare for any pad to delaminate. The only times I have known it happen is when the car is on track and the pad is down to the last 25% of material.

The heat gets into the backing plate, which expands so much that the pad material cracks away. In this case, the pad is well beyond its designed operating temperature.

The ringing noise will either be something to do with the handbrake, or one of the anti rattle clips may not be seated correctly and may be contacting the disc.
Old 01 June 2002, 04:58 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i've seen it on a few scoobys the backing rusts and the friction material just falls apart usally the calipers are really cruddy and everything is seized and you have to file the rust away on the carrier and new discs as well dont know about the noise though unless they bent the shims that the pads sit in and it's touching the disc.
Old 05 June 2002, 01:07 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've booked her in at Gatwick Main Dealer next week.
The handbrake does tend to lock the rears up over night so I don't use it, I'm guessing this could be the prob then.
Poor service from Spring Park a dealer shouldn't bodge the brakes and assure me everything is OK.