Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

*****HELP PLEASE*****

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 12:49 PM
Phiroze
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I have an Sti Type, which is making a squeeling noise from the front N/S wheel. I jacked the car up last night - and ther seems to be an awaful lot of play in the wheel. Does this mean that the bearings need replacing?

If so, are they expensive - any reccomendation would be very welcome.

Also, i seem to have a problem with the brakes, the car certainly stops, however, the pedal travel varies each time you apply pressure, -it could be right at the top or quite far down.

I thouhgt there may be an air lock in the system somewhere, but have jsut had the brakes bled and it has not made any difference - is this normal??

If anyone has any suggesstions, please could you email me on pb@optimumconuslting.uk.com or call me on 07971 289 581.

Many thanks
Old 29 May 2002, 12:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
sounds like the wheel bearing has failed, go see a garage.

The brake pedal problem is down to the wheel bearing, sort the bearing and your brakes will be fine.
Old 29 May 2002, 01:04 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

If it is the wheel bearing then.......can't speak for STI, but my my99 had rear wheel bearing replaced last week by local sub dealer and bill was £204.95. (£65 for bearing, 22.50 for 3 oil seals and something else and the rest labour + VAT).
Then 100 quid on top of that for new handbrake shoes...going to query that with dealer as it wasn't my fault the car needed to go back in. Labour would have been minimal had they had the parts when doing the bearing in th efirst place!!!

Best of luck with it
Old 29 May 2002, 01:09 PM
Phiroze
Scooby Regular

many thnaks
Old 29 May 2002, 01:29 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Si

'New handbrake shoes'. Hmmm - my Sti V has a cable operated handbrake that acts on the normal rear disk brakes. It acts directly on the existing pads...

£65 for a bearing is, err, significant - maybe they put in two, and gold ones at that!
Old 29 May 2002, 02:33 PM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

£65 for a rear bearing....that's cheap !!!

£100 +VAT for wheel bearing kit MY94....

Steve
Old 29 May 2002, 02:55 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Think £65 is cheap as my mate (mechanic with Glenvarigal Porsche)I priced it himself and couldn't get it for less. Presume handbrake mech different on STI.
Handbrake definetely doesn't work on existing pads (according to dealer). Apparently pushes out like similar drum shoes on interior of hub. No idea myself as that's what I pay these robbing ******* for! Would love to correct them if they are wrong, but have printed invoice in front of me for 'handbrake shoes' and the dealer has been top notch so far and actually saved me quite a few quid on discounted parts and advised me against some mods that I would have asked them to do... so no real reason to suspect anything dodgy going on....!
Old 29 May 2002, 03:44 PM
JohnS

All Imprezas have a drum handbrake mechanism (well apart from the WRC cars!). There are small shoes behind the discs/hub.

I had mine changed on my old car last year, as one disintegrated when they took the rear discs off (to replace). I was charged an hours labour to do the job, which included replacing the rear discs at the same time. I think the shoes were about £40 for a set.

John
Old 29 May 2002, 03:47 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

JohnS

Thanks for clearing that one up...appreciated

Simon
Old 30 May 2002, 03:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Diesel in 'talking bollox shocker"

Must have missd that little handbrake drum then - was having a good nose under the car the other day (checking for shredded rear ARB bushes, having just replaced the fronts), and noted the handbrake cable going to the caliper, or so I thought! Mmmm - baby brake shoes and handbrake manouvers dont mix - that Autotest at Prodrive Live may have me reachin for me shoes and wallet!

I'll stick to tellies

D