Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Anti Rattle Shim & Spring Kit for WRX

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2014, 04:39 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Rattle Shim & Spring Kit for WRX

Hi people, need your assistance...as the title says I need a set of anti rattle shim and spring kit for my 53 plate WRX. I had a replacement set of discs and pads fitted to the front by the garage I bought the car from and it seems they didn't replace the kits on the front calipers which I have been told won't affect the performance of the brakes and for the past 6 weeks hasn't caused me any problems but I am getting really hacked off with the clunking when reversing and driving forward and rattling when on un even tarmac

My calipers at the front currently look like this.. apologies for the blur I was kneeling in an awkward position but should give you an idea..

Also, I imagine they are relatively simple to fit but can someone give me a quick step-by-step as to how to fit or if there is a topic somewhere else covering it, ping me the link

Finally....whilst we're on the subject of 'Wheels, Tyres & Brakes' what do you knowledgeable folk think of these...

http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-disc...rake-kits.html

With having a black scoob I like the idea of matching discs

Many thanks in advance
Old 06 September 2014, 09:44 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Just rebuilt my 4 pots, Brakes international do most parts.

springs come with pad fitting kit £12.79: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item3cd6908837

These are one size fits all shims, I re-used my old ones so can't comment what these like £6: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREMTECH-A...item4d1b875a0a

I also use Ceratec Anti-Squeal Grease instead of copper grease on back of pads
Old 06 September 2014, 10:29 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
Just rebuilt my 4 pots, Brakes international do most parts.

springs come with pad fitting kit £12.79: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item3cd6908837

These are one size fits all shims, I re-used my old ones so can't comment what these like £6: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREMTECH-A...item4d1b875a0a

I also use Ceratec Anti-Squeal Grease instead of copper grease on back of pads
Cheers for the reply, are these easy to fit...any specific way of doing it?? What do you think of the quality??

I found some earlier on import car parts which totalled about £100 for both sides so £12.99 is a winner if they are good
Old 06 September 2014, 10:56 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

doddle mate, the spring clips just fit under one pad pin and over the other. You'll also need to push the pad pins out (after removing retaining clips) and slide pads out, clean the pad backs with brake cleaner and stick shims on. May need to push pistons back in slightly as shims will make pads a little thicker.

These kits are as good quality as any other fitting kit, certainly don't need to spend £100!
Old 06 September 2014, 11:33 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by modrich
doddle mate, the spring clips just fit under one pad pin and over the other. You'll also need to push the pad pins out (after removing retaining clips) and slide pads out, clean the pad backs with brake cleaner and stick shims on. May need to push pistons back in slightly as shims will make pads a little thicker.

These kits are as good quality as any other fitting kit, certainly don't need to spend £100!

Many thanks again, will get some ordered, do you think the shims will need cutting into shape or will the rectangular shape be ok? Will keep you posted as to how it goes
Old 11 September 2014, 06:25 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Ok...spring kit turned up with pins and some other clip...question is how do i fit as I'm looking at them scratching my head
Old 11 September 2014, 06:44 PM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX 2312
Ok...spring kit turned up with pins and some other clip...question is how do i fit as I'm looking at them scratching my head
Other clip is prob a little wire one ? Goes on the back of the slide pins to stop them falling out

Just pull your old slide pins out ,, fit new slide pins ,,, put one end of wire clip in hole of each slide pin at rear of caliper ,,,, pop spring clips on ,, think they clip under one slide pin and on top of the other

Check pads are unrattly by trying to move with finger ,, if still easy to rattle bend clip a little so it touches pads

Bobs your uncle

Trending Topics

Old 11 September 2014, 06:54 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyskool
Other clip is prob a little wire one ? Goes on the back of the slide pins to stop them falling out

Just pull your old slide pins out ,, fit new slide pins ,,, put one end of wire clip in hole of each slide pin at rear of caliper ,,,, pop spring clips on ,, think they clip under one slide pin and on top of the other

Check pads are unrattly by trying to move with finger ,, if still easy to rattle bend clip a little so it touches pads

Bobs your uncle
OK I havent looked at my calipers yet so probably make more sense when I do... I purchased the £12.79 ones from the link above, is that everything I need?
Old 11 September 2014, 07:04 PM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

Yup looks fine ,, was the first and only thing i had to do on my scoob so far ,,, came with rattly pads cos a clip was missing ,,, piece of cake to do mate ,, dont bother pulling the pads out just fit the clips as is and it truly is easy
Old 11 September 2014, 07:20 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyskool
Yup looks fine ,, was the first and only thing i had to do on my scoob so far ,,, came with rattly pads cos a clip was missing ,,, piece of cake to do mate ,, dont bother pulling the pads out just fit the clips as is and it truly is easy
Awesome cheers, did you fit shims or are they not really necessary?
Old 11 September 2014, 11:32 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

a picture tells a thousand words, heres mine:

Name:  7_zps81bb6e7a.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  80.3 KB
Old 12 September 2014, 09:47 AM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Jackpot! Thanks very much I'll crack on with them this weekend :-)
Old 17 November 2014, 10:28 PM
bugeye269
Scooby Regular

hi

ive recently had my calipers reconditioned and I have this same rattling noise, especially when reversing. since then ive replaced the discs twice as they keep warping. I also replaced the pads at the same time as the caliper being re-conned.
also had a new pad/pin kit and this hasn't had an effect either.

do I just scrap the lot and buy new calipers/pads/discs ??

I can easily move the pads with my finger inside the caliper, only 1 or 2mm but still that's not right is it??

01bugeye wrx

any help would be great
Old 18 November 2014, 09:25 AM
modrich
Scooby Regular

who reconditioned the calipers and how long ago was this?

what pads & discs are you using?

Have you got everything fitted as the picture above? Can you take a picture with the wheel of as above?

Who is diagnosing warped discs and what symptoms are you getting? Have the brakes been bleed after fitting the calipers?

when you say the pads can move, do you mean they can slide back and forth along the pad pins between the disc and piston?

You will get a slight clunk at slow speed braking as this is the pads moving slightly, this is normal but may disappear as the pads bed in.
Old 18 November 2014, 02:07 PM
bugeye269
Scooby Regular

Apec discs and pads as all I could afford.
The garage I used sent them away for me so not sure who did it but I know they were a repeatable company.it was about 6 months ago.

When installing the new calipers they snapped the inside half so replaced it with another reconned half, with out consulting me. Not used that garage again.(chelford Autoservices)

Yea the pads slide up and down .

Yes the system was bled with new brake fluid used

I get massive vibration of the steering wheel only under braking. All ball joints and track rods are practically new so shouldn't be those casing the vibration!

Cheers Alex
Old 18 November 2014, 04:17 PM
scoobyskool
Scooby Regular

I had big issues with apec disks and pads on another marque vehicle recently ,,, might be worth trying a better quality set of pads
Old 18 November 2014, 06:32 PM
bugeye269
Scooby Regular

Yea I'm definately staying away from apec from now on. Really annoyed with myself for being talked in to using them. Any suggestion for pads calipers discs hoses would be great
Old 18 November 2014, 11:03 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

I've refurbed my 4 pots myself with new pistons/seals/pad fitting kit and new brembo drilled/grooved discs and Godspeed pads and I'm very happy with the stopping power, nice progressive feel and near instant bite. I did have some issues (soft pedal) to start with but after bleeding them several times (once is rarely enough when fitting calipers) following the correct procedure all was fixed.

My gut feeling is that your calipers aren't working properly, maybe the pistons on one side of the caliper are seized meaning pads only contact properly on one side causing uneven heat build-up/pressure and warping the discs. Just a wild stab in the dark. You need to jack the car up and get the wheels off, get some one to press the brake pedal and look at what happens. Check that all 4 pistons are moving and see if either pads can be moved with brake pressure on them, they should be rock solid, no movement.

I would like to see some pics of these 're-conditioned' calipers, some people seem to think that a lick of paint is all it takes...sound like they are just second hand rather than rebuilt.
Old 18 November 2014, 11:44 PM
bugeye269
Scooby Regular

I know that my calipers were in a pretty awful state before the referb. Is it possible they were beyond repair? Any they have just had me off.
I will send pics as soon as I can but might not be till the weekend.
What calipers would you suggest I can replace these with?
Old 07 January 2015, 12:05 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Sorry to revive an older thread but just finally fitted the anti rattle kit and seems to have done the job, still need to road test but certainly less movement.

I have never done such a simple DIY...it was easier than cleaning the car