Another which tyre thread... 450hp wet/dry

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2019, 09:44 PM
SteveKozy
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another which tyre thread... 450hp wet/dry

So. I'm in the midst of upgrading the car

Power levels on completion will be roughly 450hp.

I want to upgrade the tyres to go along with the power. I currently run Toyo Proxes t1s. 225 40 r18 92y.

They grip well but feel a bit overly squishy on the sidewall when pushing on in corners at the current 350hp.

I want a tyre that grips equally as well in wet and dry (as much as that is ever possible). But one that also gives good feedback and strength in a straight line. As well as strong turn in / cornering grip.

I've done a fair bit of research and come across the vredestein ultrin sessanta but that seems an older tyre(?) as I can't find them for sale.

These are my only wheels so it's an all round tyre in after. I wonder what tyre recommendation(s) people have for me. Go!
Old 22 October 2019, 11:00 AM
SteveKozy
Scooby Regular

I realise tyres are subjective, but does anyone have any personal recommendations?

Thanks
Old 22 October 2019, 12:44 PM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are a good wet and dry tyre, soon as I have worn out my crappy Bridgestone 050 I will be moving back to them
The following users liked this post:
Old 22 October 2019, 01:01 PM
SteveKozy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusti
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are a good wet and dry tyre, soon as I have worn out my crappy Bridgestone 050 I will be moving back to them
Thanks. 1 recommendation is always helpful. The PS4's have come up on many different performance car forums as being a good all rounder and the prices of them currently only being about £100 a corner is pretty good so i was leaning towards them.

At least some has tried them. Worth knowing. Thanks.
Old 22 October 2019, 01:45 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 644 Likes on 470 Posts

Personally for any higher power impreza, I would run summer performance tyres like Michelin super sports, Yoko ad08r's, or Bridgestone re070s, or similar, and then run something like rainsports or a dedicated winter tyre in the colder months. Tyres are where it all starts, and a general purpose tyre is just a compromise over the year. You will get so much more out of your car in the summer.
Old 22 October 2019, 01:58 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

+1 to hedgecutter's suggestion
Old 22 October 2019, 02:55 PM
Jon T
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ps4 on all my cars cant fault them
Old 22 October 2019, 03:12 PM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rainsports are a good all rounder (and cheap) but I have not tested at that power level. I use Michelin PS4's on my M135i and i went from poor wet grip (with PSS's) to a great all year round tyre. I have also used Eagle F1's on my old Forester XT and they came on my Type R when i got it and these were also a good tyre, although they did perish over a winter when the car was stored. I now use Toyo T1R's as the car only sees nice whether and they are very good value

So my overall recommendation would be the Michelin PS4's.
Old 22 October 2019, 03:44 PM
SteveKozy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Personally for any higher power impreza, I would run summer performance tyres like Michelin super sports, Yoko ad08r's, or Bridgestone re070s, or similar, and then run something like rainsports or a dedicated winter tyre in the colder months. Tyres are where it all starts, and a general purpose tyre is just a compromise over the year. You will get so much more out of your car in the summer.
Fair comment. Thanks.
Old 22 October 2019, 03:48 PM
SteveKozy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by averyp2
Rainsports are a good all rounder (and cheap) but I have not tested at that power level. I use Michelin PS4's on my M135i and i went from poor wet grip (with PSS's) to a great all year round tyre. I have also used Eagle F1's on my old Forester XT and they came on my Type R when i got it and these were also a good tyre, although they did perish over a winter when the car was stored. I now use Toyo T1R's as the car only sees nice whether and they are very good value

So my overall recommendation would be the Michelin PS4's.
Thanks for the information.

There seems to be a lot in favour of the PS4's and they are 106 per corner fitted locally so far, that is within budget.

I like the idea of a two sets winter/summer but practicality, use of car, storage etc all dictates a good all rounder for my needs.
Old 25 October 2019, 09:29 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just fitted the new Goodyear eagle supersport 225 40 18 to my classic sti in the 330 bhp region.

Nice stiff sidewall so turn in and response is brilliant. If this makes sense, very point and go.

Haven't really had chance in wet grip but anything like the older eagle f1s it be fine

Was 10 less each that the ps4s that I got on the daily. But there also brilliant

Ps4's
Eagle f1 supersport
Potenza reo7r
Yokahama ad08r ( got them on 17s and certainly more summer focused )

Uniroyals riansports are okay for winter

Personally nokians are far better as the uniroyal have such soft sidewalls you loose a lot of steering response and turn in
Old 26 October 2019, 11:45 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 for PS4s.

Just fitted two on the front on mine replacing my old favorites, the Goodyear Eagle 3s.
Total transformation in steering feel! Absolutely brilliant.
They're good in the wet here in rainy, green Wales too.
Looking forward to changing the rears soon.
Running 405 bhp.
Old 26 October 2019, 05:05 PM
Staurossim
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can vote sava intensa uhp 2 on 225/40R18.Im impressed with them on wet wear like iron and dont brake the bank.But I will go for a second tyre for summer action(ad08r)because in the dry they get greasy very fast if you drive spirited.But as an all arounder is good tyre.I can vote goodyear asymmetric 2's that I had on a previous car and were good.
Old 31 October 2019, 12:34 AM
SteveKozy
Scooby Regular

I've gone with the PS4's, booked in for Friday fitting, 109 per corner. Not cheapest but everywhere i ask its the most common answer. So i'll give them a go and swap out a summer tyre in the drier months.

Thanks all.
Old 05 December 2019, 10:31 AM
Fable1521
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had PS4 and they are total crap, I really don't know how people say they are good. They are good only on brand new asphalt and wet roads, with excellent wear mark, but on dry roads, they are terrible, they have really poor stopping power, my ABS was constantly locking. I have now Kumho PS71 and that tire is very good, especially when you consider the price.
Old 05 December 2019, 03:05 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 385 Likes on 307 Posts

any one done a proper comparison with the Michelin cross climate - very rated in poorer conditions but how do they cope with (dry) summer weather
Old 05 December 2019, 03:50 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 672 Likes on 521 Posts

What are peoples thoughts on the nankang ns2r tyres? I usually buy Bridgestone potenza re070 but thought I'd try these instead
Old 05 December 2019, 04:04 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by johno01
What are peoples thoughts on the nankang ns2r tyres? I usually buy Bridgestone potenza re070 but thought I'd try these instead
I like them a lot very good tyre my wife has been running them on her Subaru for the last 2 years.SJ.
Old 05 December 2019, 04:17 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
I like them a lot very good tyre my wife has been running them on her Subaru for the last 2 years.SJ.
Are they a good alrounder? The Bridgestones were awful in the wet but the car was running 450bhp odd
Old 05 December 2019, 07:10 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Are they a good alrounder? The Bridgestones were awful in the wet but the car was running 450bhp odd
It's funny that you mentioned those tyres,I found a thread that I started back in the days:https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...ang-ns-2r.html,when I drove my friends car when he first fitted the Nankangs and I fitted Yokohama AD08R tyres....Later I found out that Yokohama and Nankang have a long history working together and got developed by the same technical team.SJ.
Old 05 December 2019, 10:06 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can highly recommend the new Goodyear eagle supersports.

225 40 18 on a v5 sti running circa 340 bhp. Brilliant in the dry and even the horrid greasy wet roads up here in Aberdeen
Old 06 December 2019, 04:10 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
It's funny that you mentioned those tyres,I found a thread that I started back in the days:https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...ang-ns-2r.html,when I drove my friends car when he first fitted the Nankangs and I fitted Yokohama AD08R tyres....Later I found out that Yokohama and Nankang have a long history working together and got developed by the same technical team.SJ.
Great reviews by all accounts. Nice one
Old 07 December 2019, 01:54 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Tyre feel is very subjective. Road holding and stopping distances are more easily quantified. I read the various tyre reviews online. They're written by experienced testers backed up with measured values where possible. It can't be a coincidence that the same tyres come near the top in all the tests.
Old 08 December 2019, 10:59 PM
G10
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm interested to hear how this thread pans out as I am looking for new tyres in about 6 months. I have Uniroyal Rain Sport 3 XL on each corner and the wall collapses too easily on 17 inch wheels with uprated suspension. They have loads of grip but the collapsing of the tyre wall means I'll be looking elsewhere. I reckon I'll get about 35k miles on them.
Old 08 December 2019, 11:35 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by G10
I'm interested to hear how this thread pans out as I am looking for new tyres in about 6 months. I have Uniroyal Rain Sport 3 XL on each corner and the wall collapses too easily on 17 inch wheels with uprated suspension. They have loads of grip but the collapsing of the tyre wall means I'll be looking elsewhere. I reckon I'll get about 35k miles on them.
100% right very soft sidewall. Had a set for two days frightened the life out of me in the corners. hankook ventus v12 evo 2 went with in the end good tyre. But sizes limit me.