Sticking brakes and spongey pedal

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2020, 03:18 PM
Mrheadsocket2014
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking brakes and spongey pedal

Hi all,

My brother has a 2006 Subaru Impreza Rx 2.0 with 132,000 miles and has been having numerous problems with the brakes. When he first got the car we quickly found that the rear passenger side pads were down to the metal and had damaged the discs. I replaced both the discs and pads (both sides) but the brakes still stuck on the rear passenger side. A garage diagnosed both front calipers were bad and replaced those, as well as the front discs and pads. Fast forward 10,000 miles and the same happened, the rear passenger side pads were metal on metal.

I've now replaced the discs and pads again (the pads move freely in the carrier), as well as replaced all the brake hoses and rebuilt the rear passenger side caliper, and bled all four corners completely but the sticking is still occurring albeit nowhere near as bad.

The other issue is the pedal has always seemed spongey or had some travel in it, but this could be air..

We're swiftly getting irritated, and don't want to keep throwing money at it!

Apologies for the long post, thought I'd get as much detail in as possible! Anyone got any ideas?
Old 19 March 2020, 09:09 AM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Your rear brakes were sticking so the garage replaced the FRONT ones?????
Check the rear caliper pistons aren't siezed.
If you've bled the brakes, air shouldn't be an issue. It could be a master cylinder problem. They can introduce strange symptoms. Easily changed though.

Last edited by John 37; 19 March 2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 19 March 2020, 09:52 AM
Mrheadsocket2014
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by John 37
Your rear brakes were sticking so the garage replaced the FRONT ones?????
Check the rear caliper pistons aren't siezed.
If you've bled the brakes, air shouldn't be an issue. It could be a master cylinder problem. They can introduce strange symptoms. Easily changed though.
Yep! They said that the front caliper was sticking and overheated the front discs. After that it was still sticking so they replaced the other front caliper instead and it still got stuck...

Both rear calipers are fine, I rebuild the rear passenger side a few days ago as well. How easy is it to change a master cylinder?
Old 19 March 2020, 11:23 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrheadsocket2014
Hi all,

My brother has a 2006 Subaru Impreza Rx 2.0 with 132,000 miles and has been having numerous problems with the brakes. When he first got the car we quickly found that the rear passenger side pads were down to the metal and had damaged the discs. I replaced both the discs and pads (both sides) but the brakes still stuck on the rear passenger side. A garage diagnosed both front calipers were bad and replaced those, as well as the front discs and pads. Fast forward 10,000 miles and the same happened, the rear passenger side pads were metal on metal.

I've now replaced the discs and pads again (the pads move freely in the carrier), as well as replaced all the brake hoses and rebuilt the rear passenger side caliper, and bled all four corners completely but the sticking is still occurring albeit nowhere near as bad.

The other issue is the pedal has always seemed spongey or had some travel in it, but this could be air..

We're swiftly getting irritated, and don't want to keep throwing money at it!

Apologies for the long post, thought I'd get as much detail in as possible! Anyone got any ideas?
This doesnt mean the pistons are ok though,
10k for scoob rear brakes is mental, so unless you have totally removed the issues it will boil your brake fluid again, which suspect is the spongy feel after the caliper HAS been binding,
Once all the calipers are all working freely Id swap out the fluid, brakes binding will have boiled your old fluid . . . twice by the sounds of it.
hth
Old 19 March 2020, 11:51 AM
Mrheadsocket2014
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
This doesnt mean the pistons are ok though,
10k for scoob rear brakes is mental, so unless you have totally removed the issues it will boil your brake fluid again, which suspect is the spongy feel after the caliper HAS been binding,
Once all the calipers are all working freely Id swap out the fluid, brakes binding will have boiled your old fluid . . . twice by the sounds of it.
hth
I've rebuild the passenger side rear caliper including a new piston, which is the side that has been sticking. I am going to change the fluid entirely this weekend as the colour of the old fluid is orange (like the amber on a traffic light) and as you say, most likely boiled. I haven't wanted to put loads of fluid through it in case it was the master cylinder
Old 19 March 2020, 11:40 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I've not changed a Subaru master cylinder but, unless there's something I don't know, they're an easy job. Simply unbolt yours, rebolt new one and bleed the brakes.