Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

need advise changing pads on AP 6 pots

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2002, 03:35 PM
Johnny Bence
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I posted a topic yesterday asking if the above was something I could do, to which I've attempted this morning. But I seem to have run into a problem. I've removed the two bolts holding the pads in place, I've replaced them with the new pads (Ferodos DS2500 I think) which required a lot of fiddling and sanding small amount from each pad to squeeze them in. Finally I got those in snuggly complete with those backing plate thingies. The trouble is the bolts dont seem to sit properly over the hole closest to the outer edge of the caliper, the metal sleeve is just resting on the the top of the pad metal by a fraction of a mm, and it just wont go in. I got the first bolt in by combination of sanding the surface clean and wiggling it in with a lot of luck, but the second one refused even with those attempts, I've currently got the bolt sitting in the freezer - see if I can shrink it a little? Any ideas or advise would be greatly welcome, especially as I've still to do the other brake tomorrow!

Cheers
Johnny
Old 20 July 2002, 04:22 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Try taking the first bolt out and put them in together. The 2 caliper halves might sit at an angle, if you know what I mean (ie. tight on say top and at a distance from the disc at the bottom).

Whatever you do, dont attempt to drive the car before you are ABSOLUTELY SURE everything is ok!
Old 20 July 2002, 06:12 PM
Johnny Bence
Scooby Regular

Yes, the bolt goes through now and my task is almost complete... BUT - now one of the bolts with its sleeve do not align accurately enough with the screw hole on the far side caliper, I can put some pressure on the sleeve to push that over the hole but then I can feel the screw inside locked rigid so it cant be screwed into the hole! How can I get around this? Do I need to enlarge the inner diameter of the sleeve perhaps? Trouble is now I cant be sure if I put the old brakes on to take it to a mechanic that the bolts will align for those old pads either.
Any suggestions?
Johnny
Old 20 July 2002, 09:13 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I cant see why the bolts wouldnt fit anymore after changing the pads? Best thing is to let someone do it who does it all day. Go to a Kwik fit and talk to someone, give them 20 quid to come to your place after work or something.
Old 21 July 2002, 11:37 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

kwik fit???????????
Why not go the whole hog and go to Halfords!