Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

OZ Superleggaros

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2002, 11:09 AM
graham pritchard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to remember seeing some comments about there being a problem of these being too soft and suceptable to dented rims.
My recent 17" matt anthracite set has been on for 3k and I have just noticed a slight kink in the n/s front rim, obviously from a high speed pot hole!
Have OZ got a problem, which they will admit to or can anyone recommend a repair for them - the paint is still intact.
Old 07 August 2002, 03:06 PM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

Cool

My OZ Super-L 17's have been perfect for 20k kilometers so far.
Old 08 August 2002, 12:01 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

They have refurbished lots for free on Evos but they just become the same again after a while...
Old 09 August 2002, 12:48 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Graham,

My understanding is that to make the Super L's as light as they are they have to suffer a trade off with the lack of internal strength. You need to remember that these are a cast wheel, as opposed to a forged one, and are therefore relatively thin in structure in order to get the weight down.

The word on the streets (allegedly) is that some owners have found their wheels have become oval after a period as the Super's aren't strong enough to handle the kind of G forces a Scoob can generate when being pushed hard.

I also understand that owners have had to foot the bill themselves as this kind of damaged is not covered by warranty (allegedly). Nice (not).

In the end I went for forged wheels even though I had to take out a 2nd mortgage to do so!

HTH

WB
Old 09 August 2002, 10:50 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

dnb,

I don't know the answers to your questions in terms of failure rates, etc. I understand that in some instances the damage has been caused through everyday use, eg hitting a pothole hard at night because one failed to see it.

You probably need to seek the advice of some of the tuners/retailers that frequent this board. Like I said, the analysis I undertook and the (admittedly) anecdotal evidence I was presented with convinced me that on the balance of probabilities, it was worth incurring the wrath of my missus and bank manager and investing in forged items. I appreciate that not everyone can, or would want to go down this expensive route.

However my rationale was spend the money once and get peace of mind rather than have to pay for replacement Super's out of my own pocket every so often , and get thoroughly cheesed off with the whole experience while I'm at it.

HTH

WB
Old 09 August 2002, 11:12 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Thanks WB.
Old 08 September 2002, 10:23 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Just wondering how hard you have to push to oval your superLs?
Are we talking track day pushing, or "normal" fast road use?

They were on my list of wheels that I liked - I don't know whether to get them or not now.

Are we talking about the same sort of percentage failures as "big end no.3" or is it more prevalent?

[Edited by dnb - 8/9/2002 10:25:43 AM]