Proxes T1-S Verdict

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2002, 10:39 AM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hi Folks,

Anyone out there got any comments on Toyo Proxes T1-S tyres?

I had 4 fitted to a standard MY00 2k miles ago and am very disappointed.

My previous experience of these tyres was on an Astra GSi and they were fantastic on there, but on the Scoob they are horrible.

It seems to be relatedto the tyre wall, very soft and gives too much so I have tried various tyre pressures upto 34psi all round and yes it makes some difference but the confident cornering ability has gone, it seems to wallow and slide into corners rather than dig in and sit them out like the potenza's that were fitted previously.

My thoughts are burn them through as quickly as possible and replace them with the GoodYear Eagle F1.

Dave.
Old 07 August 2002, 10:58 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mine are perfect (agreeably softer sidewalls) and absolutely win hands down against the old SO3's which were diabolical. Fantastic in the wet.

They were a bit ropey for the first 500 miles but that's to be expected.

Running the Toyos a bit softer helped. 32 front 30 rear on 16"s.

Maybe you just got a bad batch of tires..

Cheers
Old 07 August 2002, 11:16 AM
Tarty!
Scooby Regular

Location: 11,000 posts in 30 days!!! - Bloody muppety post whore!
Exclamation

As Bridgestone SO2's are no longer available, IMHO I would use the Goodyear Eagle F1's instead of the Toyos.

I found the Toyos appalling, almost as bad as the PZeros! I've always inisted on Bridgestone SO2's, but was very surprised with the performance offered from the Goodyears!
Old 07 August 2002, 12:06 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Another BBS user i know doesnt rate the Toyo's on his MY01,he says they are cr*p all the time and doesnt know what all the fuss is about in regard to this particular tyre brand.

Zippy
Old 07 August 2002, 01:34 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

I've never had a problem with mine. I have found them to a very good all-round tyre. They are good in the dry and better in the wet. They also have a progressive break away when pushed hard. I know quite a few people that have them and, like mentioned earlier, apart from that initial scrubbing in period everyone rates them highly. I guess this is another one of those personnel choice debates, like I prefer mintex pads to my mate who likes ferrodo.
Old 07 August 2002, 02:40 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well the Goodyear F1 GD03 did win the EVO maagazine tyre of the year!
Old 07 August 2002, 03:51 PM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Smile

At lunchtime I tried SiPie's suggested tyre pressures (32 front, 30 rear) and it does seem to be a better setting than the 34, cheers!

When I had the Toyo's fitted they were set to 32/30, so maybe I was not giving them a chance to get settled in and went to the 34 setting too early.

I'll see how I get on with them over the next week or so, and let you know.

Thanks folks.

Dave.
Old 07 August 2002, 03:52 PM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Smile

At lunchtime I tried SiPie's suggested tyre pressures (32 front, 30 rear) and it does seem to be a better setting than the 34, cheers!

When I had the Toyo's fitted they were set to 32/30, so maybe I was not giving them a chance to get settled in and went to the 34 setting too early.

I'll see how I get on with them over the next week or so, and let you know.

Thanks folks.

Dave.
Old 07 August 2002, 05:21 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

I've been running Toyos for the last few months 215/40/17. They aren't anywhere near as grippy as Bridgestone SO2's but are still reasonable.

One thing I've noticed is that they are very slippy when pushed hard when hot - not something I experienced with the SO2s. I've recently been to the Isle Of Man and they were ok after being left to cool down but felt slightly dangerous after continuous use. Has anyone used Toyos on track and did they perform ok?

At the end of the day I paid £305 for the Toyos and my last set of SO2's were £560 so they are very good value for money. I might try the Goodyear F1s next if I can get 'em at a decent price.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 07 August 2002, 06:31 PM
mikeesingh
Scooby Regular

Location: Fastest 4 Clyinder Manual impreza 8.83 1/4 mile GT35 Billet
ive tried S02, F1 (old one) and toyo, and i prefer the toyo's
might try the new F1 next time

mikee
Old 07 August 2002, 06:59 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I went from S02 on 16" to T1-S and IMHO the Toyos are sh1te - not a patch on the S02's but that does seem to be the consensus here.

I would consider the new F1 next.

T.
Old 07 August 2002, 10:11 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

I went from 16 inch SO2's to 17 inch T1s's about 1000 miles ago after reading a thread on here where everyone was raving about the Toyos.
In the dry they are not bad(lower profile has helped I think) but I have to say I'm disappointed with them in the wet compared to the SO2's.I would say they have about 2/3rds of the wet grip.On my favourite test roundabout the SO2's would hold on upto 50 mph and so far the Toyos are 5 mph down on this.It doesn't sound a lot but it is.

I now feel I have to drive on tippy toes in the wet testing the grip as I go.

The balance has also shifted more towards the dreaded understeer on wet roundabouts etc and I now have to be more careful with the power in 2nd gear corners.

Plus points are that they slide progressively,are quieter than the S02's and so far are not tramlining as much as I remember the SO2's did after the same miles.

I wish I had gone for the F1s now,never mind you live and learn

PS where were all the Toyo haters last month when I was reading up on here ho hum

Andy

Old 08 August 2002, 05:48 PM
P1DOG
Scooby Regular

Cant say I rate them that highly after all the fuss on this BBS. I fitted 215/40 ZR17 on my P1 and found they were on par with PZero in the dry and slightly better in the wet in that the slides were more progressive than the all or nothing of the PZero
Problem is now that I need some more boots for me Scoob and dont know what to go for. Hey ho!

Old 08 August 2002, 10:02 PM
Haggistrap
Scooby Regular

I will be needing new tyres soon and was going to get the toyos (16") as they have had nothing but good reviews on this forum.

Are they really as bad as waht this thread says??
Old 08 August 2002, 10:44 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Toyos?...my experience,

Toyo T1-S 205/40/17 - excellent turn-in, much taughter handling (lower aspect ratio), bags of cornering confidence, bigger gaps under arches, but loved em!

Toyo T1-S 215/40/17 - bit more protection for me alloys, but wasn't overly impressed with the handling regardless of pressures, less confident in corners - not sure what the car was gonna do!

At £95.70 each for 215/35/18 I think I will be buying another set when I get me new wheels!
www.mytyres.net

Take into consideration that my car is fitted with MRT front and rear (adjustible) anti-roll bars, anti-lift kit and Eibach Pro Kit!

Hope this helps,

Kev

[Edited by K9VYN [Kevin W] - 8/8/2002 10:51:53 PM]
Old 08 August 2002, 10:54 PM
555 ADY 555
Scooby Regular

Smile

At the moment i'm running so3's they are very grippy and i do give them some pain in the dry, but can't comment too much in the wet because i havn't had chance to really push them, The wear rate seems to be less than the RE010's also, unless i'm not driving hard enough, but they do take about 1000 miles to bed in. Having said all that, pram tyres grip better than RE010's. I can't comment on any other make because i havn't tried them on a scoob.
Old 09 August 2002, 12:40 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

dhayzen,

What car are you driving? Is it a UK Scoob or a JDM car, standard suspension or not?

I ran Goodyear Eagles, Bridgestone SO1's & 2's & Toyo P1' on my UK wagon. Toyo's wre the best in terms of wet grip and better breakaway characteristics.

The Goodyears were sh$te and I was ambivalnt about the Bridgestones. Even with 4 wheel alignment and care with tyre pressures I got uneven wear from the SO2's.

I use Toyos on the STi7, sitting on 18's. have to say that they are on light forged wheels and the handling is pretty good so far.

Tyre choice is a personal thing, tied as much to your driving style as the type of car, suspension, etc.

If you want some good, impartial advice talk to Mark at Tyres Northampton. He is well known on the Scooby circuit.

Cheers

WB
Old 09 August 2002, 08:21 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I guess it's down to driving style as much as anything - after fitting Toyos I booked myself onto a drift training day specifically to kill the b*stards ASAP. I found them v.imprecise compared to Falken FK-451's. Good for lurid tail slides in the wet though....

However, Pete Croney (from memory) considers Falken's trade name to be called 'Ditch Finders'

Horses for courses really - I need to try something with a harder compound next time, 10k km's isn't long from a set of road tyres....

Richard
PS: if you lose grip after pushing it, just means the tyre's over-cooked due to over inflation. When I run road tyres on track, I run around 3-4psi less cold pressure (but depends on track) - this makes pressure similar under abuse.
Old 09 August 2002, 09:05 AM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

wacky.banana

I'm running a standard Impreza MY00 on 16". The Toyo's fitted are 205/50/16. After setting the pressures to 32/30 I have found some improvement, but still feel a lack of turn in and confidence when cornering. The rear doesn't feel quite so happy to slide now, but still finding I am backing off on corners that I used to be extremely confident with on the Potenza's. The wet handling of the Toyo's does seem to be as expected, very good but I've not had a real chance to push them to the limit as yet.

Dave
Old 09 August 2002, 11:08 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dhayzen,

Have you had 4 wheel alignment and tracking done on your car recently (just re-read the thread, you don't mention this)?

When I changed my wheel/tyre combination recently someone in the trade told me that 4 wheel misalignment can cause the car to behave in an unpredictable way at or near the limit. My understanding is that some of the STi7's, for example, that were being tested by, say, Autocar, had the backend stepping out because no one had bothered to align the wheels first before throwing the cars at the press!!

Having seen how far out my alignment was (brand new car, 2 days old) I would suggest you get this done if you have not already. Should make a difference (to your tyre wear at least, if nothing else).

HTH

WB
Old 09 August 2002, 12:01 PM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Wacky.banana

I had the 4 wheel alignment done as part of the pre-delivery stuff, and then again about 6mnths later when I noticed uneven wear patterns. I have not had it done since I fitted the Toyo's.
It is due a service soon, so I'll perhaps get it checked out... thanks.

Dave
Old 09 August 2002, 01:58 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dhayzen,

Word of warning... Most Scooby dealerships aren't set up to do 4 wheel alignment. They can tell you what your tracking is doing but precious little else. I know because every Scooby I have had has had the alignment out and there's no way this would be the case if the dealers could sort it. My own dealer recommended Autolign to do the work, time before last!

Go back to whoever did yours or talk to TSL (Nottingham), Autolign (Northampton) or (I think) Scoobysport.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

WB
Old 09 August 2002, 02:57 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All,

Had TS-1's put on after my P1's had worn badly (had Laser Align @ dealer - has full kit - watched them do it too!) and they DO squirm more, due to side wall. They also understeer quite alot on roundabouts (mayb me going in too hot ? ) and in the wet I feel they are not as confidence building as I'd like, although they are progressive in the slide/breakaway.

but overall they are a good tyre for the price (think I payed £90 a corner)

Need something a bit more confidence building next time. Scoob's are ment to handle well, but really they are 'an average handling car with lots of grip!' (read that somewhere, but no idea where!!)

Steve
Old 09 August 2002, 05:24 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

I'm suprised some of you didn't like the SO2s in the wet.I have been through about four sets and found their wet grip to range from very impressive to quite unbelievable .

The Toyos are a mile behind.For example today on the way home from work,I floored it across a mini roundabout in first gear and all four wheels spun.That never happened with the SO2s on a full on hard launch.

Quote "The Impreza is a c**P handling car with lots of grip"
Couldn't agree more,the problem is that now I've got no grip, I'm just left with the c**p handling LOL

Andy
Old 09 August 2002, 07:39 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

The Toyos suit my driving style, I like their predictability and progressiveness.

I have used them on track days too and think they are fine.
Old 09 August 2002, 07:43 PM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Doesn't lower tyre pressures at the rear help to check understeer?
Old 10 August 2002, 08:26 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Talking

Kevin,

Probably. Tyre pressures are important, probably more so, depending on your driving style.

Different tyres have different physical characteristics, ie sidewalls with more flex, softer compound treads, etc. If you tie that myriad combination to the same variety in tyre types you ultimately get the "these Toyo's are good/cr$p" debate, just like the one we are having now.

My Toyo 18s seem to handle quite differently to my Toyo 16's. There's very little sidewall on the 18's and I'm virtually certain that they are therefore much stiffer, to withstand the G forces on them, and to preserve the overall integrity of the tyre. Whether they are better handling than the 16's or not is too early to tell (ask me again in a few thousand miles)

However for my driving style (slow in, fast out, balanced not jerky, mechanically sympathetic not a$$ kicking, 8 tenths rather than 12 tenths, use of most of the road because I've paid for it rather than chopping corners, etc)they are just fine.

I appreciate that for some, 8 tenths is wuss territory; however it saves my car, saves me unecessary bills, etc, and I still get to hustle shedloads quicker than most things out in the sticks where I live.

WB
Old 08 September 2002, 06:36 AM
K9VYN [Kevin W]
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dhayzen/Wacky.banana,

Agreed... didn't find the SO2's much cop in the wet. And on a damp/drying Cadwell Park circuit the back end tended to get a little wayward when the tyres got some heat in them - Toyos have performed the best on track for me. Progressive understeer was simply controlled/corrected by more lock and extra right boot..

Kev

[Edited by K9VYN [Kevin W] - 8/9/2002 6:37:30 AM]