Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Just got my P21S already have dirty wheels

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2002, 04:46 PM
Gary A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 quick questions for those who have already used:

1. I also got a wee bottle of orange liquid in with the wheel cleaner looks like stuff for the old windscreen bottle, correct??

2. Only got the bottle of P21S no Spraying dufer I assume routine is to pour it into a plant spay type affair and apply??

Lastly

3. Apply onto wet or dry wheels?

Might appear to be straight forward questions dont want to knacker my 18 in Oz's though
Old 23 August 2002, 05:44 PM
H7
Scooby Regular

1. It'll be their CW1:100 Super Washer Fluid. Dilute to make 2½ litres (1:100 ratio) either in your washer reservoir or in a bucket. Supposed to remove flies, grime, etc. but I haven't tried it yet. Can be used on paintwork.

2. I guess a plant sprayer will be fine. I bought the spray bottle one

3. Instructions: Before washing car or driving through a carwash, spray wheels with P21-S and rinse off using a sharp stream of water, alternatively drive through carwash. In case of extremely soiled wheels, allow P21S to stand on wheel for up to four hours.
Do not apply in bright sunshine or to wheels while warm.
Note: P21S is made for the use on painted or eloxated light alloy wheels. Do not apply P21S to unprotected, gloss-polished light alloy wheels (also often used at moto-bikes). In case of uncertainty, please test the cleaner to material compatibility.

[Edited by H7 - 8/23/2002 5:50:46 PM]
Old 23 August 2002, 10:08 PM
JohnS

The best way to use it is as follows:

1) Put it into a spray container if you have one. If not just pour a small quantity into a container and apply to the wheels with a brush. It's a gel format, so it clings to the wheels rather well, and you don't need to go mad trying to work it in before it evaporates.

2) If the wheels are very dirty (like mine usually are ), then leave on the wheels for 20 minutes or so - ie wash the rest of the car (can be left up to 4 hours), then agitate the stuff on the wheels with a suitable brush, or a small sponge. It will go all black, and horribly gooey, but it's still working. I found a baby's bottle brush was ideal for cleaning in behind the spokes.

3) Simply hose off the cleaner now (90% of it will simply wash away), and then go over the wheels quickly with a sponge a clean water to remove the surface film. If you have a jet-wash, then you'll find you can get almost all the cleaner and underlying brake dust off.

4) Drive the car forwards/backwards so that the wheel foes arounf half a turn. With the sponge and clean water, clean up any patches that you missed (I always seem to miss out a few spokes!).

Whilst not being the most agressive cleaner on the market, the fact that it can be left for several hours on the wheels, and won't even tarnish the lead balance weights, means it makes life a lot easier when cleaning your wheels. You don't need to work hard and quickly to use it, and then rinse off before it dries like most other cleaners.

John

PS The SIDC have now arranged a discount deal with the suppliers, so you can save even more money on their full range of car care products (the insect cleaner is particularly good!). See the announcements section at http://forums.sidc.co.uk for more info.
Old 24 August 2002, 03:02 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I prefer stuff that works faster, so you just spray it on, pressure wash the car and then rinse off the wheels. If I leave the stuff on for 20 minutes, people waiting for me to finish my car to wash theirs would beat me up!