Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Which brakes????

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2002, 03:52 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which brake kit would you recommend for my MY00 scoob. Would prefer it if they would fit under the standard 16's but not that bothered, as i could sell these instead of using them for winter.

Currently running 18's.

Dont want silly sugestions and no mental costs please
Old 31 August 2002, 04:30 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I copied this from another post of mine

The definative brake upgrade post

There are loads of options, it depends on what you want to spend and what your going to use it for.

Best to start at the front.

Cheapest is to just upgrade the disks and pads for better quality stuff!!!

4 pot caliper upgrade is the place to start on a budget. You can get 2nd hand kits(caliper,disk and pads for £250-300 (or new GGR £700, if that's what they are on about above??) This comes with the std 297mm disk. This leaves you room to upgrade further if you want to in the future.

Or you can go for the Godspeed 308mm conversion for about £500 (This is a non-Subaru caliper with a 308mm disk and pads to suit).

Or Godspeed can supply Subaru 4 pot Calipers with your choice of disk size 297 or 335mm with Ali bells if you want. You may want to find out more about Hi-spec in Kent, they offer a simalar upgrade.

Or if you have money to spend an AP 4 pot conversion will give you the weight reduction of Alloy calipers and bigger disks with a more capable track day set up.£1600
Though if your feeling really flush the ultimate has to be AP 6 pots. These are awesome but came at a price. £1800

There are alot of other brake kits available e.g. Brembo,KAD etc
It depends how deep your pocket is!!!

Upgrades for the rear are limited to better disks and pads unless your willing to change the hubs for the STI/type R hubs!!! cost=$hit loads

If you are upgrading your brakes it may be worth considering upgrading the brake fluid to DOT5.1, this resists the ingress of moisture and has a higher boiling point than the std fluid. cost£8 per 1/2 litre (you need 1 litre as you need to flush the old fuild out first) Total Cost under £20

Also cosider fitting braided hoses, this gives more feel to the pedal as old rubber hoses can expand slightly under pressure. cost £55

There are also master cylinder brackets that stop the flexing of the bulkhead as you put pressure on the pedal, again should give better feel. cost £50'ish

Wheel size can dictate what brakes you can fit

Subaru 4 pots will only fit under 16" wheels(and not all 16" wheels at that)
Godspeed 308 kit are made to fit under 16" wheels
Godspeed 335 kit will only fit under 17" wheels (even that is a tight fit!!)
AP 4's (Not sure here) I think they will fit 16" wheels
AP 6's Only fit 17" wheels

Though if you have 18's call Scoobysport and get the biggest disk you've ever seen

This is my opinion and I don't care what yours is!!!!!
Iain.
Old 31 August 2002, 05:41 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two piece discs with a separate bell and Pagid RS14 pads, high wet boiling point DOT 5.1 brake fluid and steel braided brake hoses as a cheap option.

For ideal braking, front and rear Movit brake kit with RS14 pads and bigger master cylinder (you could get the master cylinder right now btw).