Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2003, 04:48 PM
P80SJW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Dear all, I own a 99 Impreza turbo wagon. Im currently looking into upgrading the standard brakes. Ive looked at two deal so far one from scooby sports which includes Pagid disks and pads, the second is from prodrive (via my local dealer) which includes uprated disks on the front and harder pads. There is quite a price difference between the two Im not to worried I just want the best kit. Has anyone fitted either kit, any comments suggestions would be gretfully received.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 16 January 2003, 05:11 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Pagid setup has had quite good reports on here. Someone has recently went from the Prodrive/Alcon £1500 setup to the Pagid and was just as impressed (if not more so).

Midland Impreza are doing a Pagid Disc/Pad setup for around £300, which is a whole lot cheaper than SS for the same kit.

Stefan
Old 17 January 2003, 10:10 AM
P80SJW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Stefan, Ive spoken to the guys at Midland Impreza, and its booked in for two weeks time. Pagid disks and pads all round, braided hoses, fitting and VAT for just over £650 !!!

Has anyone got any good tips for bedding the brakes in properly ?
Old 17 January 2003, 11:17 AM
Mike Stokes
Scooby Regular

The Pagid bedding in instructions are quite good, if a little, shall we say, interesting. 110mph to 60mph with at least a few hundred metres between each!

I'm sure your fitters will tell you how, but it's essentially the same as bedding in any new brakes. My Pagid setup is superb, I've been very impressed. In fact, having driven a standard car at the weekend, I'm amazed I didn't crash prior to having them on the car!
Old 17 January 2003, 05:47 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'm shortly going to be having a SS Grp-N+ pack fitted to my Scoob. I asked SS about bedding-in and their response was as follows. Take it easy for the first hundred miles - nothing too harsh. The second hundred should be the same but with half-a-dozen or so decent heat cycles put into them. Say, brake from 70 down to 20, and allow to cool properly before doing the same again. During this time you'll feel the brakes getting better.

After that (i.e. ~ 200 miles) you should consider them run-in and "normal".
Old 19 January 2003, 09:21 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
200 miles to bed-in brakes Supposing you need to stop a bit sharpish after 2 miles?

Find a quiet, straight bit of road where you can turn around easily and get it done in half an hour. Check out www.apracing.com

Richard.
Old 20 January 2003, 09:38 AM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Morning all,

I am the legendary man who's changed from the Alcon setup to Pagid all round (courtesy of Midland Impreza - say hello for me!!!)

The brakes are simply superb. Graham from Midland Impreza gave me the tips for bedding in - use lightly for the first 200 miles (if possible! If you have to stamp 'em, they WILL work!!) then give them a damn good thrashing.

Brakes have done 500 miles now and are simply brilliant. Inital bite superb - not too noisy and haven't suffered any fade yet.