Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Does anyone else get fed up with the ABS

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2003, 09:51 PM
Andy WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The delights of scooby ownership are a relatively new thing to me but already I have had a number of heart stopping moments when the ABS has kicked in with only the slightest provocation under moderate braking (small pot holes, man hole covers, dusty road).

It is meaning that I either have to release and reapply (if I have the time and the confidence to do it) or just dump the brake pedal into the ground to stop in time.

I'm getting used to it now but does anyone have any suggestions?

Andy
Old 19 January 2003, 09:57 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
ABS on my UK00 car is superb (except in snow/ice ) and I would not be without it. Sounds like summat's wrong.

What car? Suspension? Mileage? Best get it checked.

Richard.
Old 19 January 2003, 10:13 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Andy are you in a bugeye by any chance? I've had exactly the same feeling a number of times, and its undriveable in the snow / ice.

Seems oversensitive to me, although its my first abs car so I have nothing to compare it with.
Old 19 January 2003, 10:31 PM
Andy WRX
Scooby Newbie

Richard

I thought there was something wrong too so I took it to a dealer and left it with them for the day (I wont say which one because they all seem to be on this site - but thanks for leaving the two scratches on the boot and then denying it ! it my bloody pride and joy, I am bloody certain they weren't there 6 hours earlier).

The dealer said there was nothing wrong with the car and proceeded to belittle me with questions like - Have you never driven a sports car before?

I got the car at 1500 miles old and it has been happening ever since I had it and it is now on 11k

Andy
Old 19 January 2003, 10:38 PM
Andy WRX
Scooby Newbie

Edcase

Yep its the bugeye one (she's a looker alright !!)

Thank God someone else is having the same problem. Oversensitive is exactly the right description. I've driven ABS cars for the last 5 years and I've never felt anything so sensitive.

Re the snow, couldn't agree more - it simply will not stop in the snow. I drove to work the other day in the snow and had to get the train home because I knew I wouldn't get the car home in one piece until the snow had cleared !!

Anyone else find the ABS too sensitive and is there an easy solution ?
Andy
Old 19 January 2003, 10:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Andy, 11k? Tyres? Pressures? Are the rears locking and triggering the system? Get some decent new rubber anyway Good tyres will make a huge difference all round.

Suggest you repost under 'Brakes etc' for better response.

Richard.
Old 20 January 2003, 01:35 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

ABS sucks. I junked mine. took it off completely, hoses, sensors, ECU, everything. I almost crashed once due to the damn ABS. Try braking on roads with a little sand from roadworks or on wet surface: grrr grrr grrr grrr lots of noise, just no braking! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 20 January 2003, 01:50 AM
p0rt
Scooby Regular

I have never had any problem with the ABS...I also have a bug eye impreza...
Old 20 January 2003, 08:21 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Trade it in for a typeR. The Japs realise most people who want high performance cars also want true braking and didn't fit ABS to these models.
Old 20 January 2003, 09:51 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

I find exactly the same on my UK 95 but then it has 2 pots up front rather than the 4s - would imagine it's more to do with the ABS sensor anyway but on damp, bumpy roads the ABS is a little too keen for my liking.

Paul
Old 20 January 2003, 12:03 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

What happens to ABS if you upgrade to a big brake kit BTW?
Old 21 January 2003, 08:26 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

I also have a bug eye and find ABS to sensitive as u say u brake and just catch a bit of dirt etc on road and its banging away under ur foot-if anyone does know a cure i'd like to hear it
Old 21 January 2003, 09:47 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Edcase, nothing.

Others, if your ABS triggers over bumps, sand, mud, gravel etc, what do you think your wheels would be doing without it? Locking up, perhaps?

Richard.

PS Edited to add, if you don't like it, have it removed. Then pray you don't have to stamp on them hard in a wet-road emergency and kill someone. Sorry to preach - eath to their own

[Edited by Hoppy - 1/21/2003 9:49:33 AM]
Old 21 January 2003, 10:37 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Wasnt it 5th gear that did a review on ABS. The only real benefit is on wet surfaces as it allows you to control the car whilst braking more efficiently. Any abnormal surfaces like gravel, sand, ice etc are made worse by ABS as the tyres wont dig in to the loose surface.

Looking at the average conditions in the UK I think I'll stick with my ABS. In fact the ABS in my MY00 Turbo is by far the best Ive used. It very rarely kicks in unless its wet and I really stamp on the brakes.

Simon.
Old 21 January 2003, 10:49 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Only issue I have (my00 with gt3 porsche brakes) is on track - ABS takes too long to de-activate it seems to me. You can get off the brakes and back on and it's still pulsing.

However, a choice between that and no ABS is no choice. I've lost count of the number of times my friend in a non-ABS'ed Evo has blown it due to late braking lock-ups.

Richard
Old 21 January 2003, 02:37 PM
Andy WRX
Scooby Newbie

All wise words

I guess you are right I better off with them than without
Old 21 January 2003, 06:08 PM
lesmess
Scooby Regular

My MY01 bug eye WRX has the same problem, it has been well documented on this bbs. My dealer said there was nothing wrong i insisted it was documented that i had complained on there sevice history cards. On normal good quaility roads there is no problem they work really well, however on bumby roads with lots of small pot holes or bumps the ABS often kicks in to early. It feels like you are trying to break on ice or snow, if you keep your foot planted they eventualy sort themselves out but you do get that heart stopping moment.
Old 22 January 2003, 08:10 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Guys, I have had the same problem on my MY02 - the ABS is way too sensitive, even over small bumps when you feel in perfect control while braking. It's just a symptom of the car.

I've found out three things:

1.) stamp harder on the pedal when it's juddering and it soon stops messing about
2.) check the tread on the front tyres
3.) get your springs sorted out - I swapped mine for MY02 Eibachs, which lowered and stiffened the ride, and for some reason haven't
had the trouble at all since (3 months ago )
Old 23 January 2003, 02:15 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

A few more comments:

Yes, we know if you're on gravel, sand or loose surfaces etc ABS is better turned off. In reality, what we are talking about is the debris on the outside of a corner when you over-cook it. And it's a very clever driver that can brake both sides of the car differently as ABS can.

If you are getting frequent ABS activation, check suspension, tyres/pressures, brake balance. If a car is bouncing over the surface, of course the ABS will activate. Sort your running gear (as above).

How many cars are sold without ABS? Is every manufacturer wrong? Heaven help anyone with a big brake kit and no ABS who has to do a real emergency stop, without any warning

Richard.
Old 23 January 2003, 10:38 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Getting Eibachs tomorrow....will be interesting to note any difference. I'll let you know if it follows DaveR's trend and helps eliminate overactive ABS. I suspect (and hope) it will.
Old 23 January 2003, 11:34 AM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Strange thread this, I drive my car quite hard (I think!) but i've never ever experienced much problems with my ABS at all, i've got a Leda equipped MY99 STI-V 4-Door with AP 4 pots, maybe the 01> has more sensative ABS?
Old 23 January 2003, 02:31 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate it that much Im thinking of removing it.
Old 23 January 2003, 08:49 PM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

Is it not possible just to take the fuse out? Or is this too simple?
Old 24 January 2003, 03:21 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is but Id rather have some more room under the bonnet...

David
Old 24 January 2003, 05:39 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

But that's why you hate it, right?!

Richard
Old 24 January 2003, 06:24 PM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

yes mine comes on if you go over rippels in the road entering a bend under braking does not enspire confidence.............MY02..................CHRIS
Old 25 January 2003, 10:23 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Legacy seems fine, extra weight, different ABS computer, different ABS system as a whole (older, so maybe they cut down it's features to make it cheaper), whos knows. It works exact as it should for me?

Old 25 January 2003, 11:59 AM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with DaveR. It is agressive but normally I now find just pushing the peddle harder brings the car to a halt. It is still a pain if it come on when travelling quite slowly but at higher speeds the temptation is to release and reapply, whereas pushing the peddle harder seems to unlease really good stopping power.

Piers LoFi
Old 25 January 2003, 03:44 PM
Imprezive
Scooby Regular

Talking

Found i have more probs with abs activation now i have fitted better pads/ discs and T1-s all round, i like the fact i know it's working,lol.

B.
Old 27 January 2003, 02:24 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Wink

Have to agree with Daver...I've got the MY02 with standard 17s and it scared me too often for no real reason...even very slow speeds over bumps. Had prodrive suspension fitted and much improved - only had the heart stop once since (almost 7 months ago).

Stonking hard on the brake pedal seems to sort it out in the end.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else get fed up with the ABS