Any Warranty Claims on STI7 Brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2003, 05:14 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi there,

I just wanted to see if I am the only person in the UK having problems with the front brakes on their STI Type UK?

Bouoght the car with about 1700 miles on the clock by 3000 miles there was some juddering through the steering wheel. I had it checked at the dealer whilst the gearbox lock was being fitted and they couldn't see a problem, suggesting that perhaps it needed a wheel alignment.

The judder got much worse - shook the whole car when braking, discs were now truely warped. They were replaced on warranty, but when they fitted the new discs it was making a scraping sound. The only solution was to have the old ones put back on and a new set ordered. The new ones were ordered and fitted straight on, brakes back to normal.

Befre Christmas the brakes started juddering again now they are as bad as before - the car is going back in tomorrow for new discs/pads and bit of an exploratory check.

The thing is I'm worried about this happening again, I don't particularly brake hard - I commute to work every day on the motorway - cruising at about 70 - 80! Also the brakes on my old WRX were never replaced (pads or discs) in the 40,000 miles I owned it!

Has anyone else had a problem with the STI Brembo brakes?

Cheers

Richard
Old 06 February 2003, 06:46 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yes we have we fitted some new discs because of juddering which cured it but it has now come back and i.m have told us to change the pads as well as new discs again
Old 06 February 2003, 09:08 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

That was my car you muppet see you tomorrow

I was just wondering if anyone outside of Oxfordshire has been affected by this....
Old 07 February 2003, 12:10 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you following any procedures for beding in the new pads/discs or just driving off as normal when they are replaced?

Si.
Old 07 February 2003, 12:23 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

When the discs were replaced I drove gently on them for about 200 miles (I was travelling up to Leeds the next day).

Apparently the warping can happen if you brake really hard and then keep your foot on the brake due to heat build up - e.g. approach a round about, brake hard and late and then wait at the traffic lights. But I don't do this, my everyday commute doesn't give me an opportunity for hard braking and there is generally a slow approach to any stops.

They are putting the new discs/pads on today and then checking for 'trueness' - hopefully this will sort it out!

According to IM I'm the only one in the country that has this problem!

Cheers

Richard
Old 07 February 2003, 12:48 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Richard,

Let's hope you get it sorted.

Si.
Old 07 February 2003, 09:48 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least they can't say "they all do that sir" about this then. Means they will have to sort it out for you.

cheers
Old 08 February 2003, 08:47 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 398 Likes on 317 Posts
the more worrying thing is that "they all do that, sir" is starting to be the norm if you follow the previous problems with this caliper set-up (albeit with slightly diff. spec disc) that "evo" owners have experienced...........
alyn - as performance
Old 09 February 2003, 08:42 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Discs and pads changed, did 250 (gentle) miles this weekend so they are well bedded in. They seem Ok so far, but I'm sure I can detect a little vibration when braking - espescially when cold.

Might just be my imagination though, not used to braking without the whole car shaking..... Time will tell!

Cheers

Richard