Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Grooved disks fitted wrong way...?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2003, 04:59 PM
Harps WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few months ago now I had my standard front disks replaced with EBC Turbo Groove jobs. They seemed good coupled with the genuine subaru pads but I never really took the car out for a good thrash. The pads have now been replaced with EBC greenstuff, and after a little bit of heavy use they are juddering like mad.

Thing is I have noticed that the garage have fitted the disks with the grooves going the opposite way to how they are supposed to (the direction the fitting instructions specifically pointed out). Will it be anything to do with this or are greenstuff pads just crap?
Old 07 May 2003, 05:01 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not used EBC pads myself, but I've only heard bad things about them.

You could sway the discs around yourself if you have axle stands and are handy with a spanner.

Stefan
Old 07 May 2003, 06:08 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

EBCs should rotate so that the groove in the middle of the disk is ahead of the groove at the edge of the disk (if that makes sense).

I had a set of red stuff on mine (they were given to me to evaluate ) and I found they wore quickly and once they got more than 1/2 worn, when they got hot (on track) the brake judder was incredibly violent. I thought they wer ewarped so I put a part worn set of Ferodo DS2500 in et voila, brake judder gone! Bear in mind that this will happen sooner with greens than with reds due to the pad compound.
Old 08 May 2003, 05:58 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

I had EBC discs & pads on my STI & IMO they were useless, Ok for toodling around but not much good for anything else & also a lot of droning at low speeds, probably due to them being drilled & grooved. I found the answer was a trip to Godspeed for a set ot Ians discs & some decent pads, I actually gave the EBC bits away as I could not bear to charge for them
Old 09 May 2003, 08:35 AM
Harps WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps much appreciated. God damn useless things they are. Think I am going to ditch the pads and keep the disks, even though the pads have only done about 400 miles.

Buggar

(anyone recommend what type of pads to use this time? Looking for (v)fast road use)
Old 09 May 2003, 08:50 AM
liteboy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had the same experiance as TaviaRS, the disc's were fine but the EBC pads crap. I have Ferodo DS2500's also and they are excellent, done about 10,000 miles and they will need replacing soon.
Old 09 May 2003, 10:51 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

If your grooved discs are fitted the wrong way round, don't be tempted to swap them over. The grooves wear to form a very slight step shape and your pads would last a no time at all with the step chewing lumps out of them.
Old 09 May 2003, 12:39 PM
HOUSEQUAKE
Scooby Regular

Juddering you say? I changed over to EBC Greenstuff pads on my UK spec, after a (short) while, Juddering galore...reason being the pads had warped the disks. Was not a happy chappy.
Old 09 May 2003, 12:48 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

DS2500's, agree they are excellent pads, no judder and great performance, hot or cold.
Old 09 May 2003, 07:29 PM
Harps WRX
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Pete, I see what you mean. From what I am hearing I think the Ferodo option is the way to go so cheers to everyone who replied.

Wish I'd asked for advice on pads earlier...
Old 09 May 2003, 08:46 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Running EBC TGDs with Pagid blues on four pots and not had any problems what so ever, unlike some other discs I had for a short while with DS2500 [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

JIm
Old 10 May 2003, 11:26 AM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

I have also EBC disc + EBC redstuff on mine .
no problem at all,and i have had the disc glowing red ,and flames from the pads ,lots of times on track ,and still no problem.....

Skassa
Old 13 May 2003, 05:19 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Standard discs and ebc red stuff on mine. No problems and they have even done a trackday without any fade

[Edited by Charlie H - 5/13/2003 5:20:48 PM]
Old 05 September 2003, 07:51 PM
JPR
Scooby Regular

There was a note with my EBC TGDs stating not to use the green stuff pads with them, it referred brake juddering and possible disc warping if I remember correctly. "F'in great" I thought as I'd bought the greenstuff pads at the same time. I was in a situation where I had no option but to use them and I still have them on whilst I'm waiting to get a whole brake upgrade. I've had no problem with them, the combination is OK but certainly not great and I have done some very hard braking with them, I just refrain from doing a series of hard braking incase they do warp.

What gets me, is why EBC would make a disc that is not suitable for use with their own pads?

[Edited by JPR - 5/9/2003 7:55:35 PM]