Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

tryes for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2003, 10:44 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guy's,
I've just sourced another set of 17's for the track, so i'll be needing some tyres soon, are there any tyres which better, or just cheap, that work well on track, or should I put my half worn F1's on them and get new tyres for the road?
Also, whats the thought's on using a 45 profile 17" tyre for the track, I know it's a bit off, for the road, but would they work on-track. Tyresonline have some Avon ZZ1's for 65 each, or economy for 51each.
cheers.
Ron.
Old 08 May 2003, 08:32 AM
stormy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run 205/45s on and off track, no problems, use Pzeros as they
are non directional i.e you can swap sides to "share the ware".
So as the road ones wear I just move them onto the track wheels
simple.
Old 08 May 2003, 02:13 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
You don't want new tyres for the track. They'll get ripped to shreds and give poor grip. Even new 'track' tyres have reduced tread depth for this reason. Your old road rubber is just fine. Lower profile works best but track days are not a race - it's about you, your car and the track, and not about how many people you overtake (unless they're Evos, of course ).

I used to run slicks on track days, but apart from the expense and hassle of getting them in Scooby sizes, they actually weren't as much fun. I'm glad I tried them (when warm the grip is just astonishing and probably buggers your bearings) but now I run any old crap I can find

P-Zeros are fine, and great fun in the wet

Richard.

PS If you want track day fun, get some good brakes. Really good. Standard brakes won't last five minutes and are can be really scary
Old 08 May 2003, 10:26 PM
topdog
Scooby Regular

RON
Have you checked that the ST2's fit over your godspeed 335 brakes as I have got these wheels and brakes and they didn't fit over the calipers so I had to fit washers to move the calipers in a touch

Dewi
Old 09 May 2003, 12:13 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DEWI,
I don't have the 335's yet, I have regular size Godpseed two piece discs, but I am going to get them in time, I'm suire I've seen a pic on here of a car with them fitted,
How did you work out that, firstly, I have godspeed brakes, and secondly that the 17's I now have are the ST2's?????

RON
ps, just ordered 8 new Goddyears, so that I can use part worn tyres that I know on the track, I'll wait til they're 3/4's worn, and then track-em!
Old 09 May 2003, 06:44 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Kuhmo's sport tyres are a *really* hard compound - an absolute bugger until they're very hot (don't know why anyone would use them on the road!), but then grip, and wear, surprisingly well

Richard