Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Noise from front brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2003, 06:53 PM
GAZZER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys

I have a strange noise coming from the front of the car Passenger side brakes I think, it is intermittant but more noticeable when turning right at slow speeds.
Sometimes the noise from cold is very bad.

Also the brake pedal needs a pump to work well after a few miles.

A friend has said it might be the wheel bearing going as the pads are getting moved away from the discs as the wheels move very slightly from side to side.

Having jacked up the car there is no play as you would have expected in the wheel.

The handling also feels a bit funny at times.

Car is 01 with Leda and Brembo's.
I have a new brearing on order with dealer but not totally convinced it is the problem.

Any advise greatfully recieved.
Thanks
Gaz
Old 02 June 2003, 07:51 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hmmmm It does sound like it could be a bearing, but if it is then you must have been driving it very hard all the time for it to go so early. I have a MY98 and none are showing signs of wear yet. Take it to quickfit they do a free brake check
Old 04 June 2003, 11:50 PM
jamie123
Scooby Regular

not sure if this is relevent but had same symptoms on my impreza with standard pads and apparantly there is a piece of metal that rubs on the discs from inside the worn pads too tell you they are worn.A high pitched squealing noise under load as i remember. Jamie
Old 07 June 2003, 03:50 PM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

Gazzer - sounds like a wheel hib bearing IMHO, I had one go on my pervious scoob (MY99 Turbo 4dr) @ about 53k miles ... was done under warranty, otherwise wouldn't have been a cheap job especially as the opposite side brakes were compensating for the passenger side brakes not working properly and warped the disc.

I found the following ....

- progressively bad knocking coming from the suspension especially going slow
- same knocking when going round a long sweeping fast corner (mainly to the right)
- the brake pedal got progressively worse, there was more and more travel before the brakes started to bite ... at the end it was getting dangerous as I wasn't sure whether or not the car was going to stop ...

My advice would be to take it in to your local scoob garage and get an expert opinion, if it is the hub bearing the last thing you want is dodgy brakes on a scoob

Cheers
Phil
Old 08 June 2003, 11:18 AM
GAZZER
Scooby Regular

Goldfinger

I think your right.The symptoms are exactly as you described..

The dealer has had it once and could not find any play in the wheel so ruled it out without further investigation as they have not had one go before ?

I have booked the car in for them to change the bearing anyway and have told them that I will pay for it to be done if it is not the problem.

Thanks
Gaz
Gaz