Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New pads or not?

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2003, 06:43 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a track day coming up and I am not sure whether to change the front pads. I have done about 5k miles since new so the originals are not that worn.

If I were to change what would be recommended.

Tony
Old 29 October 2003, 06:47 PM
Jap Imports
Scooby Regular

I would get some Racing pads in it for that. Like Red Stuff ones or something, Less brake fade as well.

Old 29 October 2003, 06:47 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

cane them - then replace!

Weava
Old 29 October 2003, 07:30 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

MW,
Thats what I was thinking of doing but a bit concerned that they may not last the meeting. (indy circuit at Brands).
Also if there is life left in the existing pads seems a shame to waste them. I assume that its not advisable to change pads then change back.
Old 29 October 2003, 07:36 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Thats what I was thinking of doing but a bit concerned that they may not last the meeting
Whether they "last" the meeting is secondary to their performance during it.

OE pads (if that's what they are) don't work particularly well when new, and if significantly worn, will overheat rapidly, worsening their performance still further.

If I were in your shoes I'd fit some decent pads the day before the trackday, bed them properly, do the event, then swap back to your normal pads after, using them til they're gone.

Probably also worth adding that if your discs are also well worn, it'd be worth putting new ones on for the trackday as well.
Old 29 October 2003, 07:51 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Thumbs up

Tony - DS2500's are the popular choice, and will make a noitceable difference to the standard brakes. Sadly the standard discs and calipers aren't up to track days so don't do more than a few laps without cooling em down. Brands isn't *too* bad on brakes, only two really hard / fast braking points.

Be good to catch up there, this will be my last event for a while as I'm selling the Scoob
Old 29 October 2003, 08:00 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Ed,
I assume you mean the meeting on the 10/11. If so will be good to see you. Can't believe you are selling after all the work you have done.

As far as the discs and calipers, intend to change next year when I upgrade to 18" wheels.

As far as fade is concerned If it gets too bad I can always take advantage of the track brake (or gravel to those that didn't see me last time).

I may get another set of pads and put the old set back in after. Are the pads you recommend better than EBC or Pagid etc.
Old 29 October 2003, 09:58 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Tony, yeah the 10th.

As for my motor, neither can I. Not 100% decided but pretty much.

Some people swear by Pagids, but that is on a grooved disc, I've never used them on a standard disc. The general consensus on standard discs is DS2500's.

Will take you for a couple hot laps in mine if you want, the Prodrive brakes work nicely
Old 29 October 2003, 10:24 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I'm currently using the Pagids on a plain disc Ed, they work great. Personally (and strictly IMO), they give better feel and thus more confidence than DS2500, although I'm using a non-servo, non-ABS setup.
Old 30 October 2003, 08:55 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 388 Likes on 308 Posts
ds2500 is not strictly a track-day material (more hi-performance road) and as such would not normally use them, unless of course you're not particuarly hard on brakes............

4pot scooby discs and calipers will cope with track days no probs as long as you fit the correct components (just ask the various production race & rally customers that we have who are 'stuck' with no option of upgrading!!!! and who's cars take a awful lot more abuse than a track day with no complaint.......)

if its a pad you want to work for road & track as a compromise then i would probs recomend Pagid rs4.2 "blue", enough temp. ability to cope with a reasonable level of use without high disc wear or needing any pre-heating........

alyn - asperformance.com

[Edited by stockcar - 10/30/2003 8:56:46 AM]