Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wheel Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2004, 03:21 PM
trance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wandering if anyone has come across problems with the weights staying on antrhacite wheels. I have a set of 17" OZ prodrive anthracite wheels. The wheels have been balanced at least 5 times in the past few months. The problem is the weights keep coming off the wheels, and obviously knocking them out of balance again. The wheels have been properly cleaned and emeryed down and still refuse to stay on. I have tried various garages and still to no success. Is there a stronger glue that anyone knows off that can be used??. Starting to really pissing me off now, is there anyone who runs a wheel place that has come across this type of problem before?

any help would be apreciated

cheers

Mods:- tried this in the wheel forum, thought maybe someone in here might be more helpful. cheers
Old 24 January 2004, 03:26 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Smile

why not try heating the wheel with a heat gun/hairdrier and sticking them on with some silicone sealer?
Old 24 January 2004, 03:35 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

y dont u tell the guys at the garage to put those other weights which they hammer into the back.soory if this sounds ro obvious
Old 26 January 2004, 11:49 AM
trance
Scooby Regular

Tried them as well mate, was told that they were not to good. Lost the clamp on weights within 30 minutes of leaving the garage!!.
Old 26 January 2004, 12:06 PM
garethbrunt
Scooby Regular

This seems very strange! I balance wheels quite regularly and this is only caused by a wheel still dirty or cleaned with a non solvent cleaner. I must point out that the weights are stuck using double sided tape, not glue. Cheap weights stick less well. Our local porsche garage uses the best weights i have personally seen although i am unsure of their supplier. Try cleaning the backs of the wheels your self: Remove the wheels and clean with a soft acid based cleaner( do not know the names of those commeriacally available)then dry and clean again with a solvent cleaner such as brake cleaner. Once dried any reasonable quality weight should stick!!
Old 26 January 2004, 02:58 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
This sounds crazy. I am very picky about wheel balance, and sometimes get them redone as the tyres wear but have never had weights fall off any of my three sets of wheels, including P1 OZs.

I think they use paint thinners or brake cleaner to ensure good sticky. It's not difficult!

Do you have a big brake kit where the caliper runs close to the weights? Maybe if you have some bearing wear, the wheel is moving a bit and clipping them?

It's all I can think of!

Richard.
Old 31 January 2004, 04:28 PM
trance
Scooby Regular

Cleaned the wheels with acid and this seems to have done the trick. The wheels were wiped down and emeryed before, but this does not seem to have removed the deep down grit. The acid has worked a treat.

cheers guys.