Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Have you painted your calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 01:25 PM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iv'e had the paint for time now but hav'nt got round to the job, because of the weather.
Its not a bad day today so is their any tips you can give me if youv'e already painted your calipers?....
I wanna keep the SUBARU in white so do i try paintin around it OR should i go over it and try finding some white paint suitable fo caliper painting(if there is any)...

thanks in advance!
Old 27 January 2004, 01:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
You can paint calipers with just about ANY automotive paint, mine were done with Hammerite.
Personally, I'd paint the entire caliper base colour, then pick out "Subaru" in white hammer4ite or engine laquer.......even Humbrol enamel would work.

Alcazar
Old 27 January 2004, 01:35 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

I painted my 4 pots red, but with hindsight would go for black.
Make sure you give them a good clean first with some sort of heavy duty cleaners, and a toothbrush.
Easier if you take them off completely, but you dont have to.
Just paint on two coats if its hammerite smooth, and go over the letters (the paint will wipe of as the white paint is very smooth).
Old 27 January 2004, 02:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Halfords sell a dedicated caliper paint which is easy to use and is thick so you get a good finish. Best to paint it all and then pick out the letters in white or something. Just need to brush the loose grime off with a wire brush.

Les
Old 27 January 2004, 03:21 PM
Oatcake
Scooby Regular

Paint all the caliper first, making sure you give them a good clean first, then to do the subaru lettering use white paint (hamerite is good) applied using a stiff sponge, dabbing it onto the lettering.

oatcake
Old 27 January 2004, 04:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

I painted mine gold with the Folia-Tec stuff. It's two part stuff so it sets harder. I Got it on mail order. 3 year later and still no rust.

Although a few coats Hammerite smooth works very well, I did the brake discs with hammerite (not the braking surface - of course ) as I could see the rust through my wheels. It's just started to flake off now.

The key thing for it to last is cleanliness. ALL rust, grease and dirt must be removed. I used one of those wire brush thingies on the end of a drill to clean the calipers

I removed the caliper brakets so I could clean them up on the bench grinder (with the wire brush wheel). And removed the stainless steel guides. I bolted them back in place to paint them - so I could use them to support the calipers

If you do the discs, I found it easier to remove them. Make sure you mask off and avoid getting the wire brush on the braking surfaces. Plus don't get them mixed up - mark which side they are off - same goes with brake pads.

The Foila-tec paint takes forever to dry and harden. So be prepared to leave your car for at least 12 hours before re-assembling. Hammerite takes just a few hours to become touch dry, but be careful not to scratch it as it will still be very soft.

I painted the calipers and brackets whilst they were on the car, But I removed the discs and pads. So I had the to leave it on axle stands overnight to allow it dry properly.

Bit of an **** I know, but - if you want a job done properly...
Old 27 January 2004, 04:47 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

You know that once you have painted them you will have to take the wheels off every time you wash the car. My red Hammerite ones are black at the moment.

You don't really want to be painting them when it is this cold outside, paint will take longer to cure, unless you have taken them off the car and are doing it in the garage or as I did the living room table(Domestic services were to impressed, but there was something I wanted to watch on the telly!!!!!)
Old 27 January 2004, 06:41 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i used a black engine laquer on the callipers and for the lettering i used red hammerite, matches nicely the red classic with P1 alloys.

tip i picked up for the lettering is to paint a flat peice of wood and then press this onto the raised letters, it worked a treat.
just don't drown the wood in paint as you can go over it again when it's dried if you're not happy and don't let the wood slip when you press it against the lettering.

painted mine about a year ago and they still look as fresh as the day i did them.