Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Airfield day worn Bridgestones vs New F1's/Toyos

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 05:10 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, changed my wheels over today in preparation for Brands Hatch on Friday, followed by Bedford the following Saturday.

Off went new (1500 mile) F1's road wheels and on went (airfield worn) trackday wheels shod with original bridgestones.

Can't believe the difference in grip...the Bridgestones (on normal roads) are a nightmare! BUT...

Should I stick with the worn Bridgestones for the upcoming trackdays (and suffer lack of grip) or bite the bullet and run the risk of running some new F1's or Toyo T1S's on the trackdays (worried about 'chunking' and squirm with the brand new tread blocks).

Any thoughts?
Old 28 January 2004, 10:36 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stick with the old ones, unless its raining, in which case use the road tyres. Big sheet of builder's plastic and all four will fit across the back seat.

It's not about which tyre is quickest on a trackday really, it's about which is the most fun.If it's dry you'll kill your new road tyres, whereas you won't do any appreciable damage to the scrubbed ones, (and anyway S02's are the best )
Old 28 January 2004, 11:56 AM
Silverback@work
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that was my kind of thought, just wondered if the F1's suffer less 'chunking' because there are no small 'islands' of rubber due to the V groove design?
Old 29 January 2004, 11:43 AM
**GOD**
Scooby Newbie

It's not so much chunking (ie losing chunks of tread), it's that the outer edge of the tyre will be completely boogered, killing turn in back on the road, and that the rest of the tread will overheat rapidly from block squirm - after a couple of laps it feels as if you're driving on a greasy surface - which you are- molten rubber!You'll basically take about 5K of the road life of a new tyre with an average track day, whereas a baldy just doesn't generate the same heat issues. Bridgestone Re010's are lethal/ lots of fun, but scrubbed S02's are great track tyres.
Old 29 January 2004, 03:39 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've seen other people report that F1s get very hot on the track and dissolve, may well destroy a set, cal
Old 29 January 2004, 11:13 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks, looks like I'll stick with the Bridgestones (RE040's) for the track days and invest the money in a set of studded ice tyres instead!