Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Track Days and Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 1999, 09:15 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have searched previous posts on the subject of slicks, but I'm still unsure.

I've acquired a set of alloys shod with 225/50/ZR16 Michelin MXX2 slicks (info from the tyre wall) and I have 2 questions

1. Even though I'm upgrading my standard MY98 brakes would it be a good idea to also upgrade the suspension. If so, what mods are recommended? (should this be in the suspension folder )

2. It has just crossed my mind that this size might not fit in my standard wheel arches (doh!) although they are from a Type R (at least I think it was)

My source was reputable and has been a mine of information, but I dont want to trouble him any more now the deal has been done.

Any advice greatly received.

Happy New Year.
Old 30 December 1999, 06:17 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

David,

1. Upgrading the suspension would be a good idea if you're serious about track days. As for what you do with it, that really depends on your budget :-) For normal road use plus occasional track days I'de suggest Leda B suspension (contact Pete @ Scoobysport). Works *very* well (even if, like me, you forget to up the setting before going out onto the track... d'oh! :-) It's tougher yet more compliant than the standard STi suspension.... weird but wonderful. You'de be hard pushed to find the limits of this even on a track day..... if you think you might, you can always go for the external gas reservoir option C.

2) Your slicks will not clear the struts at the rear of the car. But fear not, because with the addition of a 5mm spacer, all should be well. As for the fronts, they will clear without spacers *if* you have Brembo / AP brakes. If you're running Group N brakes, you may need a spacer. If you are serious about track days, you will want good brakes. The standard ones will fade quite quickly, perhaps even before the slicks have had a chance to warm up! Not ideal. Group N discs will help a lot, but the difference between those and the "big ******" is still very noticeable on the track!

Hope this helps,

Pat.
Old 05 January 2000, 09:37 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pat.

Jury is still out over Brembo or AP. The wife has sanctioned the money on the grounds I dont tell her mother that she got p**sed on New Years Eve

I'm having trouble finding a suitable tyre fitters that are willing to swap tyres on my 2 sets of alloys. Since my new set are refurbished and powder coated in gold, I'm rather nervous about any old tyre fitters swapping them, especially after the recent Kwik Fit postings. Can anyone recommend a fitters in the Surrey area, otherwise its a trip down to Micheldever Tyres.
Old 05 January 2000, 10:46 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

David,

Just two things of the top of my head...

One: Spacers are never a brilliant idea. They may work, but they will affect the cars geometry (re handling) and put unusual stresses on the suspension system/wheel hubs/studs etc...

Two: Slick tyres when warmed up properly on a dry tarmac track will greatly increase your grip. This increase in grip does, of course, put the car's suspension, hubs, brakes and transmission systems under unusual stresses that they were not neccessarily designed for. Be careful to check/get checked relevant bits (e.g. hub play) before and after using the slicks.

Moray