Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

SO 2 versus Toyo

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2001, 06:02 PM
petercope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I want some advice from someone who has actually tried both the Bridgestone SO2 Pole Position and also the Toyo ( I think its the TS1 Proxes)

I like the SO2 and find them very good in the wet as well as in the dry. I was also amazed at how good they have been recently in the SNOW.

However having seen great reviews of the Toyo on the BB and their much lower price I would appreciate some factual comments from someone who has actually used both.
Old 04 March 2001, 10:38 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Peter

went from oe 16" wheels to 17" toyos & then bridgestones.

Toyo's were great, much better than the oe tyres and very hard wearing. Bridgestones imho are a pole apart. Only covered 2k but the grip in the wet is amazing, the toyos were ok but the bridgestones treat it like it is dry.

Don't know re tyre wear yet, still look as good as new.

simon
Old 04 March 2001, 01:59 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only trouble with tyres that give high ultimate grip is that they let-go big time. I like Toyos 'cos they are very progressive and seem to match my RB5's characteristics perfectly. With the recent cold and icey weather we've been having I wonder how much of a handful a P1/STi/highly tuned car would be. Mine is slightly tweaked and I find the bottom end and widrange torque reasonably controllable in these conditions - something that comes in with more of a wallop must be a nightmare! Mine slides around quite a bit if driven briskly but it's very progressive and not too nervous.
Old 04 March 2001, 04:27 PM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've run both Toyes and SO2's on 16" rims also Falken FK451's ... of the three the Toyes is bottom of the list, SO2 top closely followed by the Falkens. I am currently running SO2's on 17" rims and now I know why I thought they were no 1 to start with ... no contest but ... consider the Falkens as at circa £75 per corner they have to be the best value.
Old 05 March 2001, 01:02 AM
petercope
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for that, guys.
What has always impressed me about the SO-2 pp is the grip in the wet & the snow. I think this is partly due to the very open tread.
A mate spun on snow recently on the standard Bridgestones, I had just passed over it with no problems with SO-2's on.
How do the Falkens compare in these conditions, Bob ?