Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

18" Radius R3 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 10:43 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put a set of these wheels on to replace the 17" ST2's and am using the nuts supplied with the R3's which are sleeved.
Do I have to have new locknuts to suit or can I use the original locknuts supplied with the ST2's which 'aint sleeved?
I re-checked the torque settings of the nuts after fitting and the lockers seem to be the ones that were looser than the rest but it's early days to see if this is going to re-occur.

A

P.S. My brakes look tiny now and need an upgrade along with lowering 'cause it looks pants with all that air under the arches....oh how do I convince the wife of that lot?????

[This message has been edited by AlanG (edited 11 March 2001).]
Old 11 March 2001, 05:31 PM
phd
Scooby Regular

Smile

18" RADIUS?!?!
Sorry, couldn't resist it..
Must have been one hell of a job modifying the wheel-arches.
No wonder the brakes look tiny.

Pete
Old 11 March 2001, 08:25 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
LOL, phd!

Alan, I've got 17in Radius wheels and fit them with sleeved nuts and the same lock- nuts (un-sleeved) as came new with the car. No probs on that score at all. Can you get sleeved lock-nuts? Never seen any.

But one word of warning. This may be coincidence but there have been more than a few posts on here about Radius R3 wheels being a bit soft.

I wrecked two of mine when I hit a piece a wood at about 70mph - flat spots on the front and the rear buckled - it didn't seem like that much of an impact at the time to damage the wheels. Tyres seemed fine, but I replaced them anyway as a safety precaution. With 18in wheels and extra-low-profile tyres, watch out for those pot-holes!

Richard Hopkins

PS Lovely looking wheels, though M8

PPS Edited to add this comment. New wheels always require frequent checking for tightness of the nuts. There's paint over-spray on the mounting face and on the seats for the nuts. Check the torque every day if you can, over the first couple of hundered miles.

[This message has been edited by Hoppy (edited 11 March 2001).]
Old 11 March 2001, 10:22 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Cheers Hoppy

Yeah I heard they were soft as well from another R3 owner (17's), but a friend in the wheel business tells me they are some of the best quality wheels on the market.
Time will tell I suppose....
Right about the potholes...dem dare rims on 35 series rubber are darn close to that there tarmac!!!

A