Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Changing front discs and pads (+ recommendations)

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2001, 12:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers Gary, I think I'm looking for a disc upgrade too though.

I'm surprised to see that I've worn about 0.5mm off the discs and that there's a large "lip" right on the outside. Is this just me being paranoid?

Nick.
Old 14 March 2001, 12:47 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nick

I meant my Pagid N+ Disks as well. An AP upgrade would be everything, calliper, bigger disk, different shape pad, etc. Might even be able to throw in my Goodridge braided lines (front only though).

That groove doesn't sound too bad, my MY98 Disks lasted 45K but had a groove of about 1.5mm (maybe even 2mm) by that point. There are minimum thicknesses to the disks but I don't know what that would be.

Gary
Old 14 March 2001, 08:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm after a bit of advice. How hard is it to change the discs and pads of an MY00 and what is involved?

I'm a novice at this mechanical stuff and want to know what I'd be getting myself in for...

Also, could anybody recommend a cost effective upgrade at the same time? I don't do track days but am finding more and more that the standard brakes are not quite capable enough - particularly in Milton Keynes, home of the small straight and roundabouts...
Old 14 March 2001, 09:17 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chiark,

It is very easy to do. Here is how.

1) Loosen wheel bolts
2) Jack car up
3) Remove wheel
4) Undo the x 2 bolts (17mm I think) that hold the calliper on. They are on the other side from the side you will be looking at.
5) Pull of the calliper and rest it on something (to stop the rubber hoses stretching)
6) Pull disk off (it's not held on with anything and will just fall off.
7) take of metal spring clip in centre of calliper
8) undo the 2 x split pins from the calliper and remove the two long bars that hold the pads / anti squeel shims in.
9) Pads will have dropped on the floor
10) Apply copper grease to the back of the new pads, and both sides of the anti squeel shims.
11) Put the pads, shims in. Push the two rods back through them and insert the split pins.
12) Undoe the brake fluid reservoir cap
13) Stick a big bar in the calliper between the two pads and gently apply force, keep doing this until the pistons are fully compressed
14) If you moved the pistons enough, the calliper should just fit nicely over the disk
15) Do up the two bolts that were holding the calliper on
16) Put wheel on, nick up studs
17) Jack car down, tighten wheel nuts.

For step 5, you might need to do 12 + 13 as the pads will probably have worn a groove in the old disks.

I will do this better and with photos possibly this weekend.

Gary
Old 14 March 2001, 10:07 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oh sorry, yes recommendations

I fitted last month Pagid group N+ disks and Pagid RS2-4 (Blue) pads to my car. They are excellent for road use, and are a massive improvement on standard on the track (I still only stay out for about 15 minutes though).

Bought the lot from Scoobysport, from the website

pads = £192 (inc)
disks = £220 (inc)

Nb my first set of these pads I used with standard disks ... uh bad move, cracked the disk on my first track day. From my experience - if you are fitting a high performance pad be prepared for a warped / cracked standard disk or upgrade the disks at the same time.

Ps this might be a bit overkill just for the road, you could get EBC Greens / Ds2000 / Mintex 1144 etc (have no experience of any).

Pps I could offer to sell you my set as I am in the process of purchasing an AP upgrade. Only thing is that leaves me with a set of 4 Pots with no disks and pads to sell which doesn't sound easy.

Gary
Old 14 March 2001, 01:10 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Aha - I could be worrying about nothing. Having fitting 17" P1 wheels, I can now inspect the brakes much more easily

Group N+ discs interest me, having looked at the Scoobysport site I've bought the sell hook, line and sinker...

...mind you, I've heard what you do to brakes :0
Old 14 March 2001, 02:03 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Hold tight
I'm getting front and rear DS2000 pads tommorow and replacing the disks with Prodrive grooved disks.

It sounds like you are in a similar position to me in that track days are not for me and think that the standard brakes are ineffective.

I'll post something here after the works done if it'll help.

Jason
Old 14 March 2001, 02:14 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yes you are right but luckily they have only been with me for one track day and about 1K miles so far Price will of course reflect the condition of the pads / disks.

I am impressed with the kit, but then there are some *substantially* cheaper options around (Diamond black disks / EBC etc). I can't comment on these of course, but I cannot see how you could want anymore than my set up for road use.

The pads are legendary of course, I had them before and the reputation is well deserved IMHO (Shame you pay for it !). I only went for the disks as Pete C recommended them to go with the pads and I think he knows what he's talking about.

My passengers have all been mighty impressed as well. Have had some choice comments
Old 14 March 2001, 04:49 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

I've got EBC discs and Green pads - better than standard and the only on-site option after I trashed my discs/pads at Donington

I'm thinking about upgrading further though...Gary, is it the AP 6 pots you're going for? Any reason why you're going for them rather than the Prodrive/Alcon setup?
Old 14 March 2001, 04:59 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Kryten - cheers. Any recommendations on suppliers?
Old 14 March 2001, 07:48 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Chiark,
I read Gary's reply to your question..the only thing he seems to have missed is that when you push the pistons backinto the calipers,the displaced fluid will spill out of the brake master cylinder unless it is quite low in level...which I doubt it is in your car...so you have to remove the excess before it spills into the enine bay...I use a small syringe that a kind nurse friend of mine gave me for the purpose...then discard the old brake fluid safely...it shouldn.t be reused....Hope this is of some suplementary help to Chiarks comments.
Old 14 March 2001, 08:37 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Crushers right about that, thats exactly what happened to me Doh ! scared the life out of me when I saw fluid dripping off the sump (till I realised).

I'm going for AP 4 Pots to fit under 16" Rims - well possibly, depends on Stef actually selling them to me.

I have to say though I am sort of getting tempted by the Hi Spec big disk upgrade using the standard Callipers. Decisions Decisions.
Old 16 March 2001, 03:20 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gary Foster:
<B>I have to say though I am sort of getting tempted by the Hi Spec big disk upgrade using the standard Callipers. Decisions Decisions.[/quote]

Please tell more!! I've often wondered what is the point of going Brembo or AP if the standard 4-pots could be mated to bigger discs.

Steve

Old 16 March 2001, 04:26 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Steve,

yes me too ! whilst I'm sure the after market callipers are far better, I still think theres mileage in a disk only upgrade. I would like to know whether an AP / Brembo etc disk could be used in place of the Hi spec one though.

try this
Old 17 March 2001, 01:40 PM
DesG
Scooby Regular

Pps I could offer to sell you my set as I am in the process of purchasing an AP upgrade. Only thing is that leaves me with a set of 4 Pots with no disks and pads to sell which doesn't sound easy.

Gary

Erm, I would Buy the calipers only off you if you went that route. Only problem is time, I have to make a decision on what to do ASAP

Cheers, Des
Old 17 March 2001, 07:58 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Can't make a decision, sorry. Waiting on the seller to tell me whether he's still selling. Will post them in the for sale section as soon as I know for certain.
Old 17 March 2001, 09:44 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Gary' have been thinking of the SS Group N upgrade myself.I know this is a difficult question but as a percentage could you say how much your braking power was i
ncreased.