Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Anybody's wheel lacquer been stripped by wheel cleaners?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2001, 04:22 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody suffered this?

Some makes, such as Jaguar, Range Rover and Renault seem to have alloy wheel lacquer that peels off easily, and leaves the wheel looking awful.

Anybody suffered a similar effect on a Scoob, either from neglect or prolonged use of an acidic wheel cleaner?

Thought i'd better ask now before it's too late!!

ta
Terry
Old 16 March 2001, 05:32 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

It will only happen if you use Acid based cleaner (ie wonder wheels)

Best wheel cleaner is Wax Wizards wheel cleaner, non-acid so kind to wheels, and more effective than any acid or non-acid based products I have ever come across.

Even better still, wax your wheels and the most stubbord brake dust and grime just washes of with normal soapy water
Old 17 March 2001, 01:01 AM
schuey
Scooby Regular

Wonder wheels for me.
I used it on my MR2 T-Bar for 4 years, with no problems.
I've used it on the scoob for 16 months no problems.
I've used the stuff that came with the wax wizard pack and it won't even remove 4 day old brake dust
The rest of the wax wizard stuff that i have is brilliant.

Jon
Old 17 March 2001, 08:43 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Schuey - use wonder wheels at your peril It is ACID

It is fine(ish) if the paint/lacquer if 100% intact, but if it has the slightest blemish/chip/kerb etc it will eat the wheel - literally. I had a slightly kerbed OZ (forged) super T. I couldn't even tell the wheel had been damaged, but within 2 months it had eaten away a 4cm stretch of the wheel

If the WoW didn't shift brake dust you must have had a duff bottle. Speak to Mark about it. It is more effective than Wonder Wheels when used properly, and doesn't damage the wheels

If you do get any tar spots/stubborn marks, either use a clay block, or polish the wheel to remove.

Either way, the best way to keep wheels clean is to wax the wheel (when clean) ever other week - the brake dust rinses off
Old 17 March 2001, 11:01 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Gary,

Thanks for your advice. In fact, what i'm using at the moment is Mark Underwood's specially formulated acidic version of his wheel cleaner, intended to be used on REALLY stubbornly ingrained wheels. And it is better than any other wheel cleaner i've used, including Wonder Wheels and Autoglym's professional version of Clean Wheels. But, you have to ask yourself, if it's this effective at removing stuff from a wheel, what's it doing to the metal if there are scuff marks etc.
When i spoke to Mark, he assured me that it had been extensively tested on a VW Passat, which is fine, but in the six years i've owned a VW Golf, absolutely nothing has damaged the wheels' appearance, so i assume VW either use an acid-proof alloy or have some other way of preventing this type of corrosion.
I was just wondering whether Scoob wheels fell into this category or whether you do have to be careful with them. As you say, i think the answer is to take the wheels off the car one day, blitz them with the strongest stuff to hand, and then thoroughly wax them to prevent future buid-up. If only it would stop raining to allow me to do it...!

Terry
Old 18 March 2001, 12:21 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by schuey:
<B>
The WW wheel cleaner that I have is Sonnax (I think that's the correct spelling ) and it is f***ing useless.
I will contact Mark for his thoughts.

Jon[/quote]

That explains it..

Wax Wizard Wheel Cleaner is Wax Wizard Wheel Cleaner - own label, own (white) bottle

Sonax Wheel Cleaner is Sonax Wheel Cleaner - which is also sold by Wax Wizard, and to all reports, is nowhere near as effective.

Use the genuine WW article but use acid at your own peril
Old 18 March 2001, 12:34 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

I know several people who have warned against Wonder Wheels, but I and a few other local scoob owners have found that nothing beats it. ( MY99 with origonal wheels )
The WW wheel cleaner that I have is Sonnax (I think that's the correct spelling ) and it is f***ing useless.
I will contact Mark for his thoughts.

Jon