Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

does anybody still use forecourt tyre preesure gauges ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2001, 12:14 AM
22b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

stopped at a esso garage the other day after a race meet and saw a guy with a scoob doing his tyres and was about to drive off with flat tyres !

checked his pressures with our gauges and found the forecourt meter was 12psi over - he was running 19 when he thought 31 and that was with warm tyres !

does anyone still use these gauges ?

Old 13 March 2001, 12:40 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Not for a long time now - too inaccurate i fear, OK, only as a last resort!
Old 13 March 2001, 12:43 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Forecourt gauges?? Never ever, they are always so far out its ridiculous Buy a gauge yourself and use it always.

That way you always have the same datum to work from, thus your pressures will always be the same

M
Old 13 March 2001, 12:51 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Halfords do a decent sized, BS marked gauge which is graduated in 1/4PSI markings for about 10 or 12 pounds.

I usually over inflate with the air line, and then bleed down to the right value with the hand-held gauge.

I've got a cool gadget which monitors tyres pressures and temperatures remotely, so I only need to do this about once every two-three months or so, or when the outside temperature changes significantly .

Cheers,

Alex
Old 13 March 2001, 07:35 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I've always used them,I did'nt realise there was a problem!!Thanks for that, I'm going to go and buy a gauge from Halfords tommorrow.
Old 13 March 2001, 09:09 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Talking

I've got a little digital gauge, bought it from B&Q a couple of years ago for £10ish.

I always like to compare the forecourt gauge readings to my own, usually they are miles different.

Stuart

Old 13 March 2001, 09:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was just thinking the same earlier on this evening when I checked my tyre pressures at the local garage. Just for the record, I checked my tyres with my digital gauge after using the garage airline - I run my 17" 40 profile SO2s at 34/32. This is what I put in according to the garage air line. The digital gauge was reading 36/34.

I've taken to doing what Alex does - over inflate the tyres, take the car home, leave the tyres to stand for a few hours (I think you're meant to do all readings when the tyres are cold) and then adjust the pressures.

Chris
Old 13 March 2001, 11:10 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

A BP garage around the corner from me has a very smart pump. Its digital and you type in the pressure you want, and if you have too much it sucks the air out untill correct.

I checked the pressures with my digital gauge and they were spot on.

'and it was free'....... i was very impressed
Old 14 March 2001, 07:32 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

what about
Old 14 March 2001, 11:25 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

I have a halfords digital gauge and just invested in a halfords auto inflator (ie cigarette plug powered inflator). Too my complete surprise the inflator rads exactly the same as my digital gauge !!

Would you credit it. Useful for overinflating at track days as well and no more expensive than a manual foot pump.

Gary
Old 14 March 2001, 12:00 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RB5SCOTT:
<B>A BP garage around the corner from me has a very smart pump. Its digital and you type in the pressure you want, and if you have too much it sucks the air out untill correct.

I checked the pressures with my digital gauge and they were spot on.

I used one as the one you mention at a Teco FC and it was way out.

Yeah everyone should have their own gauge I bougth a Woolys digi one for £7 and it's spot on

Moe
'and it was free'....... i was very impressed[/quote]

Old 14 March 2001, 05:10 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Erik,

That is what is fitted to my car. It is a very good system.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 14 March 2001, 10:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Guys, PLEASE don't rely on forecourt pressure guages! At best, you're likely to end up with uneven or heavy tyre wear, an uncomfortable ride, or even a dangerous car.

As has been said above, Halfords do a good analogue guage for about £12. Digital guages are widely available and slip easily into the glove box.

Personal view: tyres have a greater effect on handling than any other component. Get the best rubber, look after it, and by experimenting with pressures you can dramatically improve grip and the balance/handling of the car. Lots of complaints about understeer etc can be fixed by simply altering pressures.

Richard Hopkins
Old 15 March 2001, 10:18 AM
BT52
Scooby Regular

Hmm I bought a pump from Halfords, checked and changed all the pressures on my Elise to the recomended figures, but it didn't feel right.

Used a Tesco's forcourt pump and it said they were all over inflated. Adjusted accordingly and it feels much better!

Weird, I guess I should use the Halford's one to find out what they actually are at the moment and just use the pump to keep it at that. Must be pure luck that the Tesco's one got a nice pressure.

The Elise is SO damn sensitive to pressure changes you wouldn't believe it!
Old 18 March 2001, 09:52 AM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Having had a totally inaccurate Halfords digital guage (over-read by 7psi) I invested in a Longacre analogue guage with pressure release. These are £30(ish) or £40 fluid damped and worth every penny.

For safer handling and saving tyre wear a good guage is a worthwile investment.

Ken
Old 19 March 2001, 05:23 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Bought myself a Halfords digi guage after reading this thread and all my tyres were wayout!!Thanks guys.
Old 19 March 2001, 09:37 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I normally use the pump from my local garage....it's less hassle than getting the air compressor out!

I have a slow puncture on one of the front tyres (good for reminding you to check your pressures frequently!) and tend to just check the front two tyres. I know that the pressure of the 'good' tyre should never be more than 1psi out, and so pump up the other to match.
I occasionally check all the tyres with a decent gauge - and they have never been noticeably out.......

Obviously I'd never add 10psi all round or *deflate* my tyres to match a forecourt gauge!
Old 20 March 2001, 08:45 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I use a Halfords analogue guage attached to the foot pump I use the pump the tyres up.

Remember that the pressures quoted are supposed to be from cold so if you've driven anywhere then the reading is not going to be accurate. Setting them at home before you go anywhere is the best bet coupled with a decent guage (and you can do this whilst your car warms up )

Matt