Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2001, 12:39 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the re\r two pots of my car be upgraded to a brembo or AP kit?

I dont see why this would not be possible since surely it is only the diameter of the disk and the mounting location that affects things.

Will the brmebo calipers from the evo fit on?
Old 31 July 2001, 01:39 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

There is no real need to majorly uprate the rear brakes. Uprated pads, or for the the ultimate pads + discs, will be as much as is needed as the car is very much front-brake biased. Just higher spec pads on the rears will cause the car to 'squat' more than 'dive' under hard braking.

After a spirited drive, feel the rear brakes - there is comparatively little heat from them!
Old 31 July 2001, 01:47 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

gary,

take your point, but you should know being an absolute whoos that I woudl be doing it for cosmetic reasons too.
Old 31 July 2001, 02:28 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well your standard 2 pots are nice looking already - you just need to colour match front and back now - So, red AP 6 pots upfront, or black subaru two pots in back...which is it gonna be?
Old 02 August 2001, 07:39 PM
John H
Scooby Regular

Adam,
Gary C is spot on with his advice. If you do increase the diameter of the rear dics then you will encourage the rear of the car to lock up unless you reduce the hydraulic pressure in the rear brake-lines.I believe the WRC's run similar size discs front and rear but their (very different )transmissions are much closer to being locked ( front to rear ) than the average road car.It might be possible if you uprated the centre dif. but I haven't tried it myself so can't speak from experience. Just as a matter of interest it's possible to improve the braking on a car by fitting a lightened flywheel but that's another story..

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,
John
Old 03 August 2001, 09:56 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

john,

I can lock my centre diff by flicking a switch but it wouldn't corner too well!

Also I already have a lightened fly wheel (I think) and I assume you are talking about engine braking! which isnt that strong even with the flywheel in place.
Old 04 August 2001, 04:17 PM
John H
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam,
The engine braking on Subaru's isn't too hot is it ? However that's more to do with the engine's low compression ratio required on turbo-charged cars. No a lightened flywheel has less inertia and therefore can be accelerated ( and decelerated ) quicker than the std. item. So if you do have a lightened flywheel fitted the engine will drop rev's faster and during the initial braking with the foot pedal the stored energy in the flywheel will be less likely to end up as heat in the braking system.However this improved performance will be short-lived and then the braking from the engine ( I believe ) is a function of compression ratio,friction,parasitic losses etc.

Regards,
John

Old 05 August 2001, 01:22 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

AP don't do a rear brake conversion for the Impreza. Especially not a "cosmetically motivated" one.
Old 05 August 2001, 11:02 AM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Adam,you couls always take off the rear discs and get them cross drilled or grooved!!
Hi spec engineering in Dartford do this for about £12 a disc!!

Cheers
Darren