Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Motorway Puncture - Spacesaver Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2001, 09:50 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Picture the scene, its 8:30, and I'm on the M4 making reasonable progress, a little late for work, but nothing too drastic. Suddenly the car starts to judder, I slow down and the judder reduces... Easy. Services are about 2 miles away, so I continue slowly and pull in. There is no extra noise and the handling had not got noticeably worse, I was fearing for the suspension. To my complete surprise one of the back tyres was completely flat! Anyway, assuming it could be a slow puncture and I could get it fixed very nearby and try to inflate the tyre to get me off the motorway to a nearby garage, anyway I get to about 15psi and the tyre goes bang - the sidewall at the back had split, can anyone explain!

So out with the tool kit and spacesaver, nice and easy job I thought. Well the jack had nothing to turn it so a quick bodge with a screw driver soon sorted that, next I found the wheel nut wrench was too big for the nuts, after stopping half a dozen motorists one finally found the right size wrench for me (from a VW Bora) and the spacesaver was fitted...

Anyway as my car is a Jap WRX with a 16" spacesaver, I would be interested to know how far and how fast I can run the car on the space saver for? Also is it likely I have damaged the rim?

Thanks

Jon
Old 30 July 2001, 10:40 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Jon,

Had a similar experience myself. Had a rear tyre go flat whilst coming down the M5 to work. Pulled over, put the spare on and went to get the blow out fixed.

Like you, I hadn't travelled far on it, but when the fitter reinflated it the sidewalls had great cracks and scuffs in them - the tyre was scrap. His explanation was simply that they just aren't built to take that sort of treatment.

Running with collapsed sidewalls causes them to overheat and damage happens quickly apparently!

Mine's a UK car with 16's, I just got the handbook out and it says not to exceed 50 mph and make sure it's at least 60 psi.

Wouldn't recommend travelling with it further than you have to, but there's no actual statement of who far is too far in the book. It just says it's for temporary use and a full size wheel/tyre should be used asap.

BTW, I hadn't damaged my alloy's rim, but both the fitter and I gave it a good look over just in case.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steve

[This message has been edited by spider (edited 30 July 2001).]
Old 30 July 2001, 11:33 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think you may have made the same mistake as me. I couldn't find anything to turn the jack with, so bodged with a screwdriver. Afterwards I discovered the 'jack turny thing' under the big bit of board that sits on the floor of the boot (i.e. over the wheel).

Ran at about 50 mph for 60 miles with the space saver and there was hardly any tread left on it
Old 30 July 2001, 11:43 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

I've Done 10miles at 60mph and it is so far as good as new...

Just hope it will get me home tonight (40 miles)

Jon
Old 30 July 2001, 11:57 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Question

Jon, just a thought, but if you work along the M4 from Bristol I guess you're somewhere in the Berkshire area?

How about posting a 'help' request in General and see if anyone's got a full size spare you could borrow until yours is repaired?

Just a thought as there seem to be loads of folk on Scoobynet in that area (unfortunately I don't have a spare set of wheels for trackdays yet or I'd have offered you mine)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 30 July 2001, 01:01 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
A word of warning - spacesavers aren't designed for large mileages. The one on my last car (an Alfa, now replaced with guess what!) was not to be used for more than 200 miles in total, and at speeds not in excess of 50mph. Oh and it wasn't supposed to go on a driven wheel (bit difficult for a Scooby).
Old 30 July 2001, 02:06 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

That only gets 50% better for the Alfa!! What were you supposed to do if you got a puncture on the front tyres then? They might as well have not fitted a spare tyre at all!

Trending Topics

Old 30 July 2001, 02:19 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

DavidRB -- jack up the back, remove a rear (good) wheel, put space saver on, lower car. Jack up the front, replace damaged wheel with good one removed from back. Lower car.
Old 30 July 2001, 04:47 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks for the help, hopefully I will make it home and put my old 16"'s back on while I continue to get some quotes for 4 new 17s (was going to get the front 2 done soon anyway and since one of the back ones has punctured looks like I need all 4 now so anyone knowing of any good prices for 4 215/40//17's please advise me)

When I put my 16's back on should I put all 4 on or could I get away with just doing the back 2 for a 120 miles or so? (Damn, didn't think so!!!)

Thanks

Jon
Old 30 July 2001, 05:40 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by carl:
<B>DavidRB -- jack up the back, remove a rear (good) wheel, put space saver on, lower car. Jack up the front, replace damaged wheel with good one removed from back. Lower car. [/quote] *chuckle*

Bet it wouldn't be half as funny if you had to do it in the rain though!
Old 30 July 2001, 05:43 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by polarbearit:
<B>When I put my 16's back on should I put all 4 on or could I get away with just doing the back 2 for a 120 miles or so? (Damn, didn't think so!!!)[/quote]Wouldn't recommend it. Personally, if you have a full set of four 16's and they all came off the car at the same time, then I'd put them all back on. Otherwise you're looking at tippy-toeing around for 120 miles.

Of course, I don't fancy changing four wheels by hand in this heat!

Old 30 July 2001, 09:32 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

So guys, am I wasting time by thinking I can put my spacesaver 16ins wheel on when a blowout occurs on one of my 4 17ins wheels?
Polarbearit doesn't mention what size his other wheels are - mines an import WRX too

Matthew
Old 31 July 2001, 02:15 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Polarbearit ,

If you have a spare set of 16" wheels why don't you carry one of them in the boot as a spare instead of the silly space saver ? Then you wouldn't have to worry about driving slowly if you get a flat .

Derek
Old 31 July 2001, 08:58 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidRB:
<B>
Originally posted by carl:
DavidRB -- jack up the back, remove a rear (good) wheel, put space saver on, lower car. Jack up the front, replace damaged wheel with good one removed from back. Lower car.
*chuckle*

Bet it wouldn't be half as funny if you had to do it in the rain though!
[/QUOTE]

Nowhere near as funny as having the drivers side windscreen wiper arm break while driving down the motorway in the rain...

Old 31 July 2001, 09:25 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by TURBO7379:
<B> Polarbearit ,

If you have a spare set of 16" wheels why don't you carry one of them in the boot as a spare instead of the silly space saver ? Then you wouldn't have to worry about driving slowly if you get a flat .

Derek[/quote]

Because I had been trying to sell the 16's!!! Also the spacesaver fits in the space, the 7" wide 16's would not, I don't think

Jon
Old 31 July 2001, 09:30 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Matty B:
<B>So guys, am I wasting time by thinking I can put my spacesaver 16ins wheel on when a blowout occurs on one of my 4 17ins wheels?
Polarbearit doesn't mention what size his other wheels are - mines an import WRX too

Matthew [/quote]

Mine are 17's too and the space saver is 16", it doesn't drive too badly and I guess subaru give 16" space savers out whether the car has 15" or 17" wheels on it anyway, as I believe 15's were OE on my car!!
I certainly wouldn't try driving anywhere near the limit or too far in the wet!

Jon
Old 31 July 2001, 10:17 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Can i just suggest that should you get a puncture - call out the breakdown people, saying you have no spare. they'll take you on a transporter to a garage - and you can get the tyre fixed / replaced without the potential damage of a trip with the space saver.

If in doubt, say the space savers flat!!

I did on my old car and they got me going in 1 and a half hours.

Far cheaper than a knackered car !!!

Jza
Old 31 July 2001, 04:18 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ah, I didn't think to say I had no spare, I did call the RAC and was told that I'd have to pay for the tow as they don't cover punctures!

Not too worried about the damage to the car, the rolling circumference is the same whether the car is on 16" spacesaver or 17" wheels... Especially given the 50 mph limit!

Anyway new tyres being fitted tomorrow £302 for a set of 4 Goodyear F1's

Thanks for the help/suggestions

Jon
Old 02 August 2001, 09:54 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by polarbearit:
<B>
I guess subaru give 16" space savers out whether the car has 15" or 17" wheels on it anyway, as I believe 15's were OE on my car!!
Jon[/quote]
Now you've got me wondering - when I get my Scoob back next week I'll check the spare's size - it could be a 15" or 16" as you say, 'cos it could be the original from new.
So...... does this mean a 15" is no good as an emergency spare if the others on the car are 17" ????????

HELP!

Matthew
Old 02 August 2001, 11:01 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rolling radius that is important. Example - my wife's Pug 406 came with 205/60R15 but they were upgraded to 205/55R16 and one of the original alloys kept as a spare. I think you might struggle if going from 15 to 17 unless the profile went down suitably - if OEM were 15, presumably it was a 55 profile, and is now 45 on 17 so roughly same rolling radius?
Old 03 August 2001, 10:49 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

I would guess the rolling radius would be almost exactly the same, the Space saver is 135/70/16, and yes the other tyres were 205/45/17 from 205/50/16 and previously 205/55/15 all of which have very similar rolling radiuses, see
Old 05 August 2001, 08:38 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Blimmin' 'eck, do I need a tape measure or wot

Thanks guys, I'll check it out on Weds and work it out on my ready reckoner

Matthew
Old 06 August 2001, 10:04 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

I work in Swindon, tyres were £302.92 from Mark @ Bathwick (01793 527380) in Swindon, tell him Jon with the Red impreza recommended you, alternatively call the Bristol branch and say Swindon will do them for £302.92.

Price was fully fitted and they collected and returned the car from work within an hour, all without even asking for money! Just told me to call the office later and pay with my card!

Anyway usual stuff about no connection with bathwick etc, just a happy customer. I have always found tyre prices vary enourmously and a little bit of haggling helps, I have been quoted £550 for the same tyres elsewhere!

Jon
Old 06 August 2001, 12:30 PM
KENT SMITH
Scooby Regular

<B>I would guess the rolling radius would be almost exactly the same, the Space saver is 135/70/16, and yes the other tyres were 205/45/17 from 205/50/16 and previously 205/55/15 all of which have very similar rolling radiuses, see
Old 06 August 2001, 11:28 PM
KENT SMITH
Scooby Regular

<B>I work in Swindon, tyres were £302.92 from Mark @ Bathwick (01793 527380) in Swindon, tell him Jon with the Red impreza recommended you, alternatively call the Bristol branch and say Swindon will do them for £302.92.

Price was fully fitted and they collected and returned the car from work within an hour, all without even asking for money! Just told me to call the office later and pay with my card!

Anyway usual stuff about no connection with bathwick etc, just a happy customer. I have always found tyre prices vary enourmously and a little bit of haggling helps, I have been quoted £550 for the same tyres elsewhere!

Jon[/quote]
JON***THANKS FOR THOSE DETAILS..ARE YOU GOING TO THE STAR ON THE A370 ON THE 19th.IT WILL BE GREAT TO MEET SOME MEMBERS,AS ITS ONLY MY 2nd MEET,I WENT TO WORCESTER ON SUNDAY THE 5th,THAT WAS GOOD,ENDED UP BUYING A SET OF 17 INCH SPEEDLINES FOR MY98**KENT**
Old 07 August 2001, 07:27 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hello fellow member of the one yellow wheel club....

I found I had a rear puncture today and now have an eye-catching new feature.

At times like this, you wish air guns hadn't been invented when trying to get the bl**dy nuts off....

I'll have to wait until the weekend to change it (only need the car for about 10 miles a day until then, thankfully).

Thanks

Gavin
Old 09 August 2001, 10:26 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

Jon, thanks for the info earlier on the spacesaver size etc etc.
Have now got my scoob back and checked - its same as yours, the 16inch version with Japanese hieroglyphics around the sidewall
Lets hope its not needed (it looks unused still)

Matthew
Old 10 August 2001, 09:45 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

After an argument with a kerb last weekend where I damaged two wheels and scragged one tyre, I made the trip up to Northampton Tyres on Wednesday morning to get Toyo's put on a new set of 17" wheels.

This involved a trip of about 95 miles on the spacesaver, along the M4, M25 and M1. No problems as such, but damned frustrating being overtaken by everything on the road! I made up for it on the way home though!

Pete