Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Strange Tyre Wear and Tyre Options

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2004, 05:24 PM
Dave Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Tyre Wear and Tyre Options

Friend of mine has got a standard bugeye with REO11s - and the fronts are bald on the inside third of both front tyres after fewer than 10,000 miles. He's had the tracking checked and double-checked - nothing wrong there. Tyre pressures are fine (not that that should make any real difference on this part of the tyre). What could cause this level of wear? Geometry settings? If so, how do they get kicked out of alignment (no knocks or bumps he's aware of, but his wife does drive (flame suit on...))?

Once we know and can get it sorted, he's going to need new rubber. I'm trying to convince him NOT to get 2 more Bridgestones but keep the rears as spares and get new tyres all round. The question is, which ones?

I'm a big fan of Toyo Proxes. Mytyres.co.uk have 215/45/R17 87Ws for £80.40 a corner. Then there's the Eagle F1s GS-D3 (91Y XL - does this matter?) for £94.50. Out of interest, the REO11s are £97.90 each - same price as RE050s (are they OK?).

Be grateful for any quick replies - the bugeye is a family motor and he's got a youngster to cart around and he doesn't want to drive until it's sorted.

Thanks
Old 13 September 2004, 08:53 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the goemetry reset will let you know how much they're out by in present state, which could be a lot. Manufacturer's tolerances are so wide that there could be huge variations from the 'ideal' settings even straight from the factory, so doesn't necessarily need to have been knocked out by potholes, etc. For the £60 it's prob worth a try as even if it doesn't fix the wear issue it might improve the handling. Works wonders on the classics.

Don't forget Toyo have a new tyre out - the T-1R. Could be worth a try. Those F1 XL are supposed to be the correct tyre for the weight of the scoob, though I've only tried the regular version.

I'll prob try some Yokos next, something like the AVS Sport, if I can get the right size.
Old 13 September 2004, 09:03 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a proper 4 wheel alignment done - it will cost a bit but it will improve the cars handling and you will save the money in tyres. My step dad had his bugeye done with less than 10k miles on it (this was due to the insides of the tyres being bald whilst the outer edge was fine) - std suspension and never kerbed etc and the factory alignment was way out!
I have had my classic done to and it transformed the car and evened out the tyre wear