Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

how hard is it to cut a tyre in half?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 06:51 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how hard is it to cut a tyre in half?

nope, not the phantom tyre slasher just want to cut them from my alloys so i can take bare rims to my tyre fitters to guarantee no marking.

i would imagine they're reinforced with some metal belt or something, but is it possible?

ta
Old 20 September 2004, 07:19 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Virtually impossible, there's a steel belt all the way round the rim. You could probably cut through the sidewall both sides easier and take the tread bit off in one piece.

Not really any use though as the difficult bit is the fit of the bead, the inner bit of the sidewall, onto the outside of the rims, that's why the tyre fitting machine uses a hydraulic ram to break it. Even if you manage to cut all the rest of the tyre away you'd be far more likely to mark the rim trying to break the bead off the rim than a decent tyre fitter using the proper kit.
Old 20 September 2004, 07:36 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Virtually impossible, there's a steel belt all the way round the rim. You could probably cut through the sidewall both sides easier and take the tread bit off in one piece.

Not really any use though as the difficult bit is the fit of the bead, the inner bit of the sidewall, onto the outside of the rims, that's why the tyre fitting machine uses a hydraulic ram to break it. Even if you manage to cut all the rest of the tyre away you'd be far more likely to mark the rim trying to break the bead off the rim than a decent tyre fitter using the proper kit.
thought it might be a no-no. cheers for saving me a swearing fit and probably a trip to casualty