Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Vibration through car / steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2004, 07:00 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration through car / steering wheel.

Hi Guys, looking for some advice. I have just changed my WRX for an ex-demo Legacy Sports Tourer 2.5SE. Before I bought it I borrowed it from the dealer for a few days. It was a revelation, so smooth, quiet but decent handling and performance.

A change in circumstances meant I needed more space and comfort for long journeys, so the Legacy was to me a good solution.

The car went back in for the day because it needed its service and also the wheels were to be changed because the had all been kerbed. When I collected the car as soon as I got on the motorway not only did the car feel rougher and noisier but from about 70 - 90 there was a vibration through the car, you could feel it through the steering wheel, seat, floor and pedals.

I took the car back the next morning and they rebalanced all the wheels and swapped them back to front. The problem was still there. They then decided it was possibly a problem with one of the tyres so changed the Bridgestones ( the same type that was on the car in the first place ) for some Toyo Proxes. They took the car out and said it was fine. I drove home as normal and the problem was still there. Back today to the garage and they came out with me in the car, they could reproduce the problem but could not understand why.

As it stands the car is in the dealers while they wait for the original legacy that they put my old wheels on, so the could swap them back and see if the problem is solved.

I am struggling to understand how the car could be transformed from a super smooth cruiser to what I can best describe as a bone shaker, my WRX had a smoother ride. Don't get me wrong I am more than happy with the service the garage is giving, they have dropped everything on each occasion to try and sort out the problem, and are as frustrated as me. But three 100 mile round trips in three days is IMO a bit much.

Any ideas from anyone ?
Old 25 September 2004, 11:22 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

2 thoughts. 1 maybe their balancing equipment is wonky try somewhere else.
2 maybe 1 of the rims is bent.

Pat
Old 25 September 2004, 11:55 PM
prana
Scooby Regular

is your rim warped ?