Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

When to replace 2 or 4 tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2004, 06:03 AM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When to replace 2 or 4 tyres?

Having recently bought a car with part worn tyres, I'm keen to know when you should replace all 4 tyres, versus a pair.

The previous owner has evidently not rotated them much, if at all, and the geometry was a mile off until recently (now set up to fast road spec by TSL - thanks chaps, best "mod" ever!).

The result: the front tyres are totally gubbed (2mm max, 0mm on inside edge) and the rears have approx. 4-5mm left across the full width.

Given that a new tyre has perhaps 8mm, should I replace all 4, or could I save some cash by changing just the fronts?
Old 12 November 2004, 09:04 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Im in exactly the same situation, bought a car last week with part worn tyres, all worn on the inner side.

This time of year with slippery roads and crap weather, its not worth taking any chances, get the maximum benifit out of the all wheel drive and fit new tyres in every corner.
Spending a few hundred quid could be the difference between spinning off the road or staying on.

Keep the old ones that are part decent, you could always put them back on next summer if your into track days etc.

Get as many prices from tyre dealers as possible, the cheapest option is probably to buy 4 tyres off the net, get them delivered and then get a fitter to fit and balance them, prob looking at £10 a tyre for fitting and balancing.

www.blackcircles.co.uk

There are loads more sites, but cant think of them at the mo, will post them later.

Cheers
Marc.
Old 16 November 2004, 02:36 AM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply mate. Point taken on need to maximise traction on slippery winter roads, etc., but my real question is should I replace the rear tyres which still have 4-5mm of tread left across the full width?

I accept that the fronts are scrap, but I don't want to change the rears if running them with a new pair of the same tyre type on the front axle will be ok.

If new tyres have 7-8mm of tread when new there will be approximately a 3mm tread difference between front and rear tyres - will that be a problem?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 20 November 2006, 09:51 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I'm in the same dilema, but all my tyres have about 4mm left but one has a puncture that isn't repairable - I was going to get a pair for the axle but now I'm wondering if I need to buy 4?

Looking back through the search on here it has been mentioned that Subaru suggest a max of 1mm tread difference but surely the diffs aren't that sensitive?
Old 20 November 2006, 11:27 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I have changed 2 tyres all the time as i have been rather unlucky where punctures are concerned on my car. I have always changed the 2 on the same axle but not all 4. And the difference has been 4 mm between new and old i would say.
At the moment i have yet another screw in a rear tyre, i think someone dislikes me, but i would only change the 2 unless the others are well worn.
Old 21 November 2006, 01:29 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Depends on whether you want to carry on using the same type as are already fitted. If so I would be inclined to leave the 4/5mm ones on the rear anf fit new fronts. If you want a different tyre I would change all 4. Mixes tend to be interesting to say the least and you probably won't get the best out of either tyre.