Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

17" Black Rota Tarmac II alloys - Good or Bad??

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2005, 09:18 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17" Black Rota Tarmac II alloys - Good or Bad??

I like the look of those Black Rota Tarmac II 17" alloys available on that very well known auction website the Bay of E, are they any good? I've checked past posts on here only thing thats mentioned is they are USA made. Anyone got them on their Classic's (MY99-00) or any pics of them on classics?? Regards
Old 07 February 2005, 09:55 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by movi-star
I like the look of those Black Rota Tarmac II 17" alloys available on that very well known auction website the Bay of E, are they any good? I've checked past posts on here only thing thats mentioned is they are USA made. Anyone got them on their Classic's (MY99-00) or any pics of them on classics?? Regards
If it's any remote help, from the same Ebay shop (i'd imagine) I have some Rota Redlines turning up tomorrow so I'll let you know what I think. I haven't heard anything bad about them though.

James
Old 07 February 2005, 10:06 PM
S2_Neo
Scooby Regular

I am also interested in finding some more out about these wheels, as I want some for my Impreza!

(doesnt the black look good!)

Peter
Old 07 February 2005, 10:09 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

I'm a tart and seen as mines a classic, I had to get the gold ones! I spoke to the fella on the phone to pay and upgraded my tyres to 215 40 17 toyo proxes from the 205's that are listed in the wheel type package. The price was still excellent for what you are getting

James
Old 07 February 2005, 10:35 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

yeah the black ones look great, 4 alloys + new toyo's for under 500 golden coins is very tempting, would be interesting to hear from those who have them.
Old 07 February 2005, 11:04 PM
duSTI
Scooby Regular

Rotas are huge in the states and from what I can see from american Subaru forums are the prefered choice for most Scooby owners out there.

Check out www.subydude.com for info and If you would prefer to buy them from the official UK distrubutor then call Julian @ www.rarerims.co.uk.

Jim
Old 08 February 2005, 12:11 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rota Redlines in Hyper Silver.... I'm happy!! I went for the 215's though, the 205's are a bit skinny, especially on a 7 1/2 inch rim!! cost me 535 , but would be plus delivery!!
Old 08 February 2005, 07:44 AM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

looking at that pic of yours i'm glad in my choice of the redlines, can't wait for them to turn up. I also made the wise choice of 215's

James
Old 08 February 2005, 09:49 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

being a newbie to tyres please explain the 205 and 215 to me please.
Old 08 February 2005, 09:56 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

I had some Rota Tarmac 2's in steel grey which is pretty well same as the PFF7 colour.
They are made in the Philippines, nice quality although not quite up to the same standard as the OZ Prodrive wheels they immitate, which Is what I have now, but then hell of a price saving!.
Only things to watch are wheel nuts, you need new ones as the seats are not same as OE Subaru and if you use new ones with the same diameter head as the OE nuts they are an absolute bugger to fit without scuffing the nut recess, really you need a smaller head on the nuts or use the McGard spline drives. And check what centre caps you are getting, the standard ones I had were pretty nasty, there are flat ones available though, which look nicer IMO.
Great thing about them is that they are 7.5inch width so they fill the arches out much better than the OE 7's and you can run 225 or 215 tyres.
Give Julian a call, nice guy, good prices, I also had tyres from him which were cheapest I could find anywhere.
Old 08 February 2005, 09:59 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

oh yeah, mine were on a newage, dont know how you would go on with 7.5" & 225's on a classic.
Ron - those Redlines look superb - perfect style for a classic!
Old 09 February 2005, 12:15 AM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

My redlines turned up today and they look superb, for the price you can't go wrong, and the extra grip and handling feel from changing from Pirelli p6000 in 205 50 16 to toyo proxes 215 40 17's is incredible!
Old 09 February 2005, 08:45 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little_idiot
My redlines turned up today and they look superb, for the price you can't go wrong, and the extra grip and handling feel from changing from Pirelli p6000 in 205 50 16 to toyo proxes 215 40 17's is incredible!
where did you buy them from and what have you done with your old wheels?
Old 09 February 2005, 09:55 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

I have them fitted on my sti,the alloys are superb quality and as said big in the states
I bought mine from turriff tyres in scotland,the same company thats selling on ebay
I paid Just over £800 for them in 18 inch size fitted toyo tyres including shipping/bolts/locking wheel nuts etc

TOP WHEELS,TOP COMPANY Nuff said really
Old 09 February 2005, 09:57 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li

www.turrifftyres.co.uk
Old 09 February 2005, 01:26 PM
sadam
Scooby Regular

Wink Roto wheels

These are good quality wheels and represent a good value/quality alternative to OZ's and Speedlines.

I got the full Wheel/Tyre (T1R's)/Special Wheel nut combination from Julian at Rarerims for my 03 Spec C STi. (Halfords supply the McGard security wheel nuts to suit these wheels)

Julian supplies all the Roto wheel options (17 & 18 inch) and had my wheels delivered, with the tyres fitted and balanced, the next day. Try him on sales@rarerims.co.uk

I fitted the 18 inch Tarmac II's (Ten spoke wheel) that suits the new age impreza with the Brembo brakes.

For the price of the wheel tyre combination you might just about be able to buy a set of OZ or Speedline wheels.!!!

PS if you are interested I can e mail the photos of the wheels fitted to the car.
Old 09 February 2005, 01:35 PM
David MY99
Scooby Regular

The only thing i found out was that all the wheels aren't complete straight, which can be solved with propper balancing. The maximum was 60gram on one off the wheels
Bought them bij subydude and had them 4 days later
Old 09 February 2005, 05:28 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
go to www.ebay.co.uk and search for 'subaru wheel'

what you will eventually come across is loads and loads of Rota's, different styles, colours and tyres. all packages are with 205 tyres but i bought the wheels and then rang them up to pay and upgrade to 215's

It's midland wheels that are the seller, the guy i spoke to is an imprexa owner himself which is why they sell a lot of scoob wheels. but they are doing a good offer on Rota's as they bought **** loads of them.

they look sweeeeeet. I'll get some photos once the car is clean as it's disgraceful at the mo!

as for my old wheels, they are in a pile in the garage waiting a damn good clean. I'm going to keep them as a spare set as there is still 5 or 6 mm left of tread. winter wheels for next year or if we have any snow soon i think!

James

Last edited by little_idiot; 09 February 2005 at 05:31 PM.