Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2005, 08:50 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre help needed

Well it's been 4 days into Subaru ownership and I guess I'm about to start to find out about the cost of ownership.

Picked the baby up on Saturday with 4 lovely 225/40 zr18 PZero Nero Pirellis on. Heard a bit of a noise whilst driving along today had a look and there's a small nail embedded in one of them.

Seems to be not causing too much of an issue but don't really want to chance it as I'll be on the motorway this weekend -so I need some advice as I know pretty much zilch about tyres.

I appreciate they're going to be expensive but should I get another one of these or is there a cheaper alternative? Also do any national chains stock these? I've just had a check of Kwik Fit's site and they seem to only do the 17". Or if any locals to Leeds are reading this - do you know anyone you could recommend?

Appreciate any help.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:03 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
Well it's been 4 days into Subaru ownership and I guess I'm about to start to find out about the cost of ownership.

Picked the baby up on Saturday with 4 lovely 225/40 zr18 PZero Nero Pirellis on. Heard a bit of a noise whilst driving along today had a look and there's a small nail embedded in one of them.

Seems to be not causing too much of an issue but don't really want to chance it as I'll be on the motorway this weekend -so I need some advice as I know pretty much zilch about tyres.

I appreciate they're going to be expensive but should I get another one of these or is there a cheaper alternative? Also do any national chains stock these? I've just had a check of Kwik Fit's site and they seem to only do the 17". Or if any locals to Leeds are reading this - do you know anyone you could recommend?

Appreciate any help.
You may be lucky and the tyre can be repaired. I had a screw in one of my 17" Bridgestone Potenzas, but the guy at KwikFit could not repair it as it was too close to the outside wall. In the end ended up buying 2 x Bridgestone tyres at £144 each! (They had to order them specially) As I was advised to keep the tyre tread the same on both the back corners as it is four wheel drive. The moral is to shop around if you can.
Old 10 May 2005, 10:17 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=jpor]You may be lucky and the tyre can be repaired. QUOTE]

Yep just spoke to someone else and think I'm going to give that a go first, my mate reckond they'll probably be able to fix it - I hope so!

No doubt they'll say it needs new ones and it can't be fixed but if that's the case I'll say I'm off to buy them elsewhere and see if they change their tune!
Old 10 May 2005, 10:27 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=scg]
Originally Posted by jpor
You may be lucky and the tyre can be repaired. QUOTE]

Yep just spoke to someone else and think I'm going to give that a go first, my mate reckond they'll probably be able to fix it - I hope so!

No doubt they'll say it needs new ones and it can't be fixed but if that's the case I'll say I'm off to buy them elsewhere and see if they change their tune!
If you do need new ones. Then it's best to stay with the same make and model as the others. Not good to mix brand of tyres on the impreza. Do a search on the subject on this site for more details.
The cheapest tyres I have seen on here are the Toyo proxies. At around £80 each. I hope it doesn't come to that. Good luck.
Old 11 May 2005, 01:13 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Try http://www.mytyres.co.uk or http://www.blackcircles.com

Stay well clear of Kwik Fit .......

Fingers crossed!
Old 11 May 2005, 01:41 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Well good news! Took the nail out and the guy reckons it'll be fine. Not able to repair but didn't seem to go to far in or at a bad angle. Took it to Hi-Q in the end and they were decent and friendly - I'd been warned by a million and one people about Kwik Fit!

....now I've just got to smart about me scuffed alloys ;-)
Old 11 May 2005, 02:46 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
Try http://www.mytyres.co.uk or http://www.blackcircles.com

Stay well clear of Kwik Fit .......

Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the links MadMark. I'll bear this in mind if it ever happens to me again (hope not ).