Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Which Tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2005, 04:29 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tyres?

Due to dodgy tracking - I am going to need two front tyres within a month or so. I asked for a price on eagle F1's which were £94 fitted - Is this any good? At this point they told me that most people who use them are puttin on Pirelli PZERO Assimetrico which are better and the same price.

Any thoughts?

Which should I go for?

Cheers
Old 14 May 2005, 04:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You really should change all four at once; stings doesnt it?
Old 14 May 2005, 04:38 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
You really should change all four at once; stings doesnt it?
Wont be doing that - The rears are fine - There is loads of tread on them.
Old 14 May 2005, 04:38 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

changed all four of mine recently, for RE070 fantastic best tyres i heve ever had.
Old 14 May 2005, 04:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thats up to you but do you want mismatched tyres on a car like that.....? Also, you really need the rolling radius to be as close as possible, although a small difference wont kill a Scooby like it did 4WD Vauxhall transmissions.

Simon
Old 14 May 2005, 05:07 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

Does everyone do this?

Just out of curiousity what difference does it make? At present my fronts are worn down a lot further than the rears - If I get new ones to the front it will be the opposite way round - But probably similar difference to what it is now if you know what I mean?

What problems could it cause?

Surely fronts wear quicker than backs so mosdt peoples front rolling diameter will be smaller than their rear.
Old 14 May 2005, 05:31 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thats why you rotate the tyres.....

Trending Topics

Old 14 May 2005, 05:37 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Thats why you rotate the tyres.....
Fair enough - What problems could it cause and back to the original thread which are the better of the two? Will think about four but it will break my bank!!!!! Especially since I have only had it two and a half months - Had to do front and back pads and just changed the MAF!!!!

Getting married in October and the estate agents are coming round to value our house to move to bigger better and yes more bloody expensive!!!!
Old 14 May 2005, 06:11 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people run Pirelli and are happy with them but it sounds as somebody is telling you porkies as they would rather sell you Pirelli.
What size? 215 x 40 x 17?
The best tyre I have had in that size is Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. VERY good in the rain. Soft side wall and not the best mileage on a set but certainly the best wet weather tyre so far.
Shop around and expect to pay £80 each, fitted, new valve, balanced.
These are asymetric tyres as most are at this size so you need to fit a pair on the same axle and you can only rotate them front to rear and vice versa unless you are prepared to take them off and turn them on the rim.
The circumference of Goodyears compared to other makes of similar size should be close enough to make no signifigant difference to your centre viscuous.
Old 14 May 2005, 07:20 PM
Stevie.p
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have just changed the rubber on my scoob i am currently running on PERELLI P6000 all round. I find that their a good quality tyre and they do hold the road very well in my opion
Old 14 May 2005, 07:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

has anyone else run on 070's apart from the sti mob that is.
Old 14 May 2005, 08:44 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

After extensive tests the Michelin Pilot Sports 2`s will be the best tyres in both the wet and dry you will ever buy.
trust me.
Old 14 May 2005, 08:45 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
has anyone else run on 070's apart from the sti mob that is.
The tyres are 2055016's. Although i do want a good handling tyre I would also like something that will last over 20,000miles. Any suggestions??
Old 14 May 2005, 08:49 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If you dont ragging it every where and rotate the wheels every 3-5000 miles you should be able to get 15k-20k a set.

Andy
Old 14 May 2005, 08:53 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Do the RE070 only come in one size then?

I know they come on the new STI but thought you could get varied sizes
Old 14 May 2005, 09:12 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I can recommend Vredestien UltraC. My mate has 225/35/18's on his STi and he rates them way higher than the Toyo's he had previously, or the original Bridgestones. I have the cheaper SportraC on mine, and they are good too, but not near the Ultrac. I got 4 SportraC's for 240 plus fitting, and my mates 18" UltraC's were IRO 320 for 4 from HERE.

Cookstar. I have a set of RE070's waiting in the wings for nice weather. Will let you know how they go on, but I already have high expectations as a mate is running them on his Legacy and loves them.
Old 14 May 2005, 09:26 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I have heard good things about the Michelin Sport Pilot so much so that on arron's recommendation I am inclined to try them next time around.
Old 14 May 2005, 09:37 PM
gumballer@STI
Scooby Regular

Exclamation toyos

Originally Posted by harvey
I have heard good things about the Michelin Sport Pilot so much so that on arron's recommendation I am inclined to try them next time around.
HI

Im in scotland where there is haggis lying around on the road that need avoiding.

a lot of folk here use TOYO T1R's or T1S's
I am using the R's at the moment and i have to say they are the best tyres i have ever come across!!!!!

p zero neros and the likes are known for sliding about
Old 15 May 2005, 09:23 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
I was worried that they would take the sideways fun out of my WR1 but it is still ok with the pilot sports.
They just have much stiffer sidewalls than the P Zero Nero`s which improves ride and turn in.
They will transform your car and in the wet the grip levels are nearly as good as the dry.
The best all round tyre I have found.
You wont regret it
Old 15 May 2005, 09:30 AM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gumballer@STI
HI

Im in scotland where there is haggis lying around on the road that need avoiding.

a lot of folk here use TOYO T1R's or T1S's
I am using the R's at the moment and i have to say they are the best tyres i have ever come across!!!!!

p zero neros and the likes are known for sliding about
have to say that toyo t1 s tyres have the softest sidewall of anytyre ive ever had.
They grip fairly well in the wet, other wise they are total ****e.making the car roll in hard cornering but stupid amounts.

The T1 Rs are much much better.and cost nearly the same.

Dont waste your money on the S.
Old 15 May 2005, 10:23 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Dissagree with that. Maybe increase your tyre pressures a little bit!
My toyo T1s tyres (which I was abit concerned about, regarding some peoples opinions) are far more stabke than the bridgestone so3's that I had before. I havn't tried them in the wet yet, but I am very happy and impressed with their performance in the dry.
Everyone has their favourite corner, and mine is a left hander 180 degree corner coming of a motorway onto a duel carriage way. The bridgestones started to slide at around 90mph (very quiet at 1am), where as the toyos have failed to slide on me yet!
Didn't have the bottle to go past 105mph!
Old 15 May 2005, 10:32 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Arron: I will post up on here when I get a set of Michelin. They will have to be very good to outshine the F1 GSD 3 Goodyear in the wet. (Pun intended)
As I have a recent set of T1R on the WRX Wagon and a new set of F1 waiting to go onto the STi Wagon it could be the Autumn before I make the change.
Old 15 May 2005, 10:49 AM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

OK anyone know the cheapest place in or around middlesbrough to get a set of F1's? If I can get them for £80 each I will probably just get all four done. I think I will go with them as it sounds like they have a very good reputation.
Old 15 May 2005, 01:50 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stuartjw
Due to dodgy tracking - I am going to need two front tyres within a month or so. I asked for a price on eagle F1's which were £94 fitted - Is this any good? At this point they told me that most people who use them are puttin on Pirelli PZERO Assimetrico which are better and the same price.

Any thoughts?

Which should I go for?

Cheers
I went from P Zeros to GSD1's...F1 is grippier in wet and dry. Can't comment on longevity and I found them to be a touch noisier. Bob
Old 15 May 2005, 09:09 PM
robby1
Scooby Regular

just had 4 michilin ps2`s fitted to my p1 a few weeks ago ,had pirelli p zero assimetrico before,which they dont make anymore.
the ps2`s are incredible in wet and dry conditions,also get far less road noise than before,and they dont tramline as much.
there abit more exspensive, but well worth it
thanks rob
Old 16 May 2005, 01:05 AM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuartjw

Any thoughts?

Which should I go for?

Cheers
I would steer towards the F1's rarther than the assimetricos. I have 4 p-zero assimetricos on my P1 (factory spec tyre i believe) and they are pretty slippy in the wet. Ok in the dry but not worth the money. The F1's are supposed to be excellent in the wet. If you want true cornering ability and feel then buy some tyres with hard sidewalls...i.e. toyo proxes T1R's they are also a very good wet tyre (rumour has it that they are not quite as good as the F1's in the wet). The T1R's are a soft compound tyre and will be very sticky in the dry but this means that they will wear very quickly (5-10K miles quickly!!!!). Incidentally I am changing all 4 of mine to some T1R's very soon and can't wait!!! .... give the p-zero's a miss..... Also I agree that the michelin pilot sport 2 is a **** hot tyre!!! bit more expensive but it is the daddy.
Old 17 May 2005, 01:17 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Robby, are you running standard wheels on your P1 and therefore 215/40x17 tyres? I couldn't get Pilot Sport PS2s in that size, although I think they used to be available before the PS2s came out.

I got F1s instead, and they are good, for sure.

Would also like to try Bridgestone's RE070 some time.
Old 17 May 2005, 11:00 PM
robby1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Robby, are you running standard wheels on your P1 and therefore 215/40x17 tyres? I couldn't get Pilot Sport PS2s in that size, although I think they used to be available before the PS2s came out.

I got F1s instead, and they are good, for sure.

Would also like to try Bridgestone's RE070 some time.

no mate running 225/35/18s,didnt no they didnt run these PS2s in 17s.
f1s were my second choice,think these won some awards last year.
thanks rob
Old 17 May 2005, 11:30 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The RE070's are excellent in the dry, surprisingly good in the wet, but a little 'lively' in the damp. Very stiff sidewall, crap ride as a result, but at the end of the day they aren't a tyre of compromise.

I tend to steer well clear of all pirelli's- not saying they're not excellent tyres, its just that every, and I mean every, major moment I've ever had has been on pirellis. don't care for michelin much either, with the exception of the pilot sport.

I tracked an STi5 RA at Oulton on T1s's and tbh it was shocking, considering everyone rates them so highly. They were fairly new though, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm told the T1r is an awful lot better.

The F1 is the way to go. They're an excellent all round tyre, and my tyres of choice for what my opinion is worth, and aren't too expensive from the likes of www.mytyres.net. I'm currently running RE050 Bridgestone at the moment, and they're pretty good too.

If you're looking for a cheaper tyre, try the Falken FK451, which has the goodyear GSD patter, wears faily well, and grips like crazy.

startjw, if you're looking for a 20k plus tyre, you've chosen the wrong car, sorry matey

simon
Old 17 May 2005, 11:32 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, if you really only want to replace two then buy exactly the same as on the other axle. Spirited driving with different tyres front to rear will end in tears.

Quick Reply: Which Tyres?