Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

brake fade or glazed pads?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2005, 02:33 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake fade or glazed pads?

couple of local stretchs of dual carriageway with about 3/4 roundabouts along, aproached at speed, hard on the brakes gradually lost braking power to the point of no fookin brakes at all when i had to stop at the lights

i'm assuming this is brake fade? never encountered this before and although i've read about it and it's obviously not a unique experience, can anyone give advice?

is it the pad (they're only cheapy apecs) or could it be the way i've bedded them in that's the problem?

they seemed ok once they'd cooled down a bit, but i think a better set may be needed, any suggestions?

ta
Old 15 May 2005, 02:36 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 398 Likes on 317 Posts

when you say "lost the brakes" exactly what were the symptoms............various issues dependant on exactly what happened???

no doubt it will be that you over-cooked the replacement pads, not particuarly hard to do............

alyn
Old 15 May 2005, 02:39 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
when you say "lost the brakes" exactly what were the symptoms............various issues dependant on exactly what happened???

no doubt it will be that you over-cooked the replacement pads, not particuarly hard to do............

alyn
just had no braking at all, foot flat to the floor and it felt like someone had poured oil on the discs and they were just sliding round with no grip to them.

make any sense? (not the most descriptive when it comes to anything technical)
Old 15 May 2005, 08:12 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 398 Likes on 317 Posts

if you lost the pedal then you experienced "system fade", this occurs when the fluid overheats...........you probably would of got a slightly longer pedal on each occassion until finally it gave up.............

although the pads are probs not the best, it is actually poor quality or old fluid which is the main issue, when was it last changed??? normally recomend at least every 2yrs and more often if used aggressively or for track/competition use.........

alyn
Old 15 May 2005, 08:33 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
if you lost the pedal then you experienced "system fade", this occurs when the fluid overheats...........you probably would of got a slightly longer pedal on each occassion until finally it gave up.............

although the pads are probs not the best, it is actually poor quality or old fluid which is the main issue, when was it last changed??? normally recomend at least every 2yrs and more often if used aggressively or for track/competition use.........

alyn
using 76 racing 5.1 fluid that was put in when the front discs and pads were changed about feb/march, using braided lines aswell.

was never pleased with the additional pedal travel that occured when the system was bled through(not sure why this happened nothing else was changed), to be honest i'm not that taken with the pads either.

when i was running oe pads and discs the pedal feel was alot better than it is now, i think maybe a change of pads and another bleed of the system may be a way forward? any addition advice on this alyn?