Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

BK Racing Black Stainless Chrome - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2005, 12:24 AM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BK Racing Black Stainless Chrome - HELP!!

Hi there,

A couple of years ago I thought it's be a great idea to have nice big shiny wheels, so I got the black stainless chrome (not sure where 'black' comes from cos they're just shiny chrome to my eyes) BK Racing 238's.

It was a great idea but unfortunately, after 2 British winters, the chrome has corroded in places to leave nasty, unsightly red patches of resin on show.

I took the car down to Spit&Polish and they advise that it's impossible for them to refinish these wheels as they can't bond anything to this resin. They've had wheels like it before and, even with a blowtorch, have been unable to remove the resin - so I was sent away with my tail between my legs trying to work out how to afford a new set.

Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a place that may be able to do something.

Or failing that, if I have to go for a new set of wheels, does anyone know of any particularly shiny examples that won't have this problem after being attacked by a couple of years worth of road salt...

Sorry to go on so long... Thanks for any help.

--
DBT
Commercial link removed

Last edited by The Zohan; 18 July 2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 17 July 2005, 11:28 AM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

anyone...?
Old 17 July 2005, 03:24 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

Some sort of acid dip might possibly remove the resin? But any chrome finish is going to suffer over time unfortunately.

Just a thought, have you spoken to a local chrome platter about refinishing the wheels?

Last edited by mid_life_crisis; 17 July 2005 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added last comment.
Old 17 July 2005, 03:28 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I thought so, about chrome suffering over time...

Any ideas of wheels with shiny surfaces that aren't chrome - like nice stainless steel, or something.
Old 17 July 2005, 03:40 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

316 stainless wheels would be really nice but the cost and weight would be silly and 316 would probably fatigue fracture in time. 304 would probably not fracture but it tarnishes so that’s out, and the cost / weight would still be outrageous.

You could ask NASA to make you some aerospace spec titanium wheels, they’d last thousands of years but I don’t fancy the bill

Possibly the most durable / affordable material is top quality alloy, but it still needs lots of TLC to survive good old UK weather.

Originally Posted by darkblueturbo
I thought so, about chrome suffering over time...

Any ideas of wheels with shiny surfaces that aren't chrome - like nice stainless steel, or something.
Old 17 July 2005, 08:01 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I like the NASA idea :-)

Cheers for helping... I think i'll go for something nice and lightweight this time round, but nowhere that sells wheels seems to advertise their weight...
Old 18 July 2005, 08:22 AM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

I do sometimes wonder if manufacturers don’t want to publish weight since they know their wheels are heavy?

OZ Superleggera are on the light side and I think they have weights on the website. Out of interest I weighed my stock 17 x 8” STI wheels with RE070 tyres against the replacement 18 x 8” Superleggera + 225/40/18 92W, the 18” package came in at near 3Kg per wheel / tyre lighter.

Originally Posted by darkblueturbo
I like the NASA idea :-)

Cheers for helping... I think i'll go for something nice and lightweight this time round, but nowhere that sells wheels seems to advertise their weight...