Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Noise from EBC discs/pads

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2005, 11:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Noise from EBC discs/pads

Fitted some EBC discs & Redstuff pads a couple of weeks back. Bedded them in and now they have a good 500 miles under them, I've been pushing them a bit hard.

I've noticed a gushing sound coming from them. They are the dimpled, grooved ones and I though this may just be some gasses escaping. They also stink to high heaven. Is this normal??

Stefan
Old 22 July 2005, 12:01 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny you should say that ... me too ... turbo discs + redstuff ... i've had much more trouble though with vibration and grinding noises.

03 sti @ 75k mls ... i've had replacement brembos discs and ferodo ds2500 with no problems from asperformance ...regretting the switch.

will be speaking to EBC technical before posting anything conclusive

... it's really not good though.

- mark.

Last edited by mwp; 22 July 2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 22 July 2005, 10:40 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I've not had any vibration issues on mine, just the strange noise. I had Redstuffs with Godspeed discs and never noticed the noise, so I'm assumming it's the dimples in the EBC discs.
Old 22 July 2005, 04:11 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Fitted some EBC discs & Redstuff pads a couple of weeks back. Bedded them in and now they have a good 500 miles under them, I've been pushing them a bit hard.

I've noticed a gushing sound coming from them. They are the dimpled, grooved ones and I though this may just be some gasses escaping. They also stink to high heaven. Is this normal??

Stefan
Pads and discs do sometimes take 1K to truely bed in properly. The gushing sound will hopefully reduce once you reach 1k. However, generally speaking you will always get some noise from a grooved and dimpled disc.

What kind of smell?

Buck
Old 22 July 2005, 04:14 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mwp
funny you should say that ... me too ... turbo discs + redstuff ... i've had much more trouble though with vibration and grinding noises.

03 sti @ 75k mls ... i've had replacement brembos discs and ferodo ds2500 with no problems from asperformance ...regretting the switch.

will be speaking to EBC technical before posting anything conclusive

... it's really not good though.

- mark.
Who fitted the discs / pads for you?

Buck
Old 22 July 2005, 04:23 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Kind of overheating/burning smell. Strange to describe really.

Stefan
Old 24 July 2005, 09:27 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Who fitted the discs / pads for you?

Buck
My local dealer - welch in Cambridge. They've fitted non-oem discs and pads before, but got this wrong on 1st attempt according to EBC technical who they had to consult. 2nd attempt is better, but still getting vibration and very loud grinding noise under heavy braking that gets worse as things hot up. Now done 600 miles on them with little improvement. Braking performance seems ok, but not as good as i'd expect.

I am now stuck. As losing my car for days while they sort it out is a painful option that i've just been through once - I am inclined to wait until next service, due in about 7 weeks (3500 mls) and see what state things are in then. MY other option is to take a day off and go to an indepentdent and pay to have everything refitted - nice.

I'm very unhappy as it's a rock and hard place - will be contacting EBC technical next week, now they've done the 500 miles bedding in they recommended.

- Mark.

Trending Topics

Old 24 July 2005, 11:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

What did they get wrong? There's not much to fitting discs and pads

Stefan
Old 25 July 2005, 01:16 AM
bbigman2000
Scooby Regular

ebc discs are rubbish lads, the only pads id use they make are the red ones.

Your far better off with standard discs group N tarmac, cooling veins etc with a solid centred disc are a waste of time.

If you go for proper brakes Like AP then you will note the bell of the disc is seperate from the disc, and its able to expand and contract as it pleases to dissipate heat etc.

I destroyed a set of ebc grooved discs on my supra TT in 30 minutes, they are rubbish.
Old 25 July 2005, 01:19 AM
bbigman2000
Scooby Regular

forgot to mention, all this bedding in nonsense LOL

no no no, bull****, fit your discs and pads, make sure you have cleaned your braking seurfaces properly with brake cleaner and then straight out, a few 30-5mph stops and after that let them have it, fire a lot of heat into your discs and they will settle in well and never warp.

Dont just take my word for it, ask some tarmac rally drivers.
Old 25 July 2005, 02:47 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not heard any good reports on EBC disck nor pads for that matter... I enquired about some some disks for my Sti froma ebc dealer in leads and they wouldn't sell me them... i asked why and they said they'd had lots of problem with people bringing warped disks back and were fed up of the hassle... and to be fare although the performance is good i've found my front rotors and now shagged, very very rutted and unevenly worn if you run your finger down the disk it feels rutted... two weeks ago i did the back pads and they've started doing the same... not a happy bunny in the slighttest... looks like i'll have to have the disks skimmed now...
so what i first though as been a good choice has turn out a bit dissapointing... I've a good mind to send a pic of the disks to ebc and see what they say, but they really do look fooooked...!

Dazza
Old 25 July 2005, 03:25 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I've had discs with seperate alloy bells. They seem fine for fast road use although my fluid needs replacing so I've not spanked them hard enough yet.

I'll reserve judgement until I come across problems myself. If they do turn out ****, then I'll not use them again.

Stefan