Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

RE040s

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2005, 05:05 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE040s

Started another thread which turned into a review of REO40s.

I thought I'd post my remarks in here for the benefit of anyone thinking of them.

Last edited by JTaylor; 25 July 2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 25 July 2005, 05:06 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Took the advice and ended up with RE040s.

I'll give some feedback when they've scrubbed in a bit. Why REO40s? Well, I sell ROTA wheels and deal with a specific local tyre company. In 205/45/17 the only tyre they had in besides the SO3s were the REO40s.

Tyres are a funny eh? By default I ended up with Vredestein Sportrac 2s once and thought they were awesome. Really keyed into the tarmac in the wet and good in the dry.

Probably decided against piddling money away on the car. Going to get the drop links, ARB and possibly revised geometry and then that'll be it (except maybe some braided hoses, I always find they give more "feel" or this may just be perceived). I actually really like the standard ride. I'd love to know how it felt fresh out of the factory.
Old 25 July 2005, 05:06 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

REO40s - absolutely flippin' brilliant in the dry (unagressive tread pattern is deceiving). Not had the reported road noise issues but this may come with time - can't be any more intrusive then blub blub blub GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR PSSSSSSSST (that's the scoob, not the missus). Will be using my Vredestein Sportrac 2s for the winter, so not bothered about about the reported poor wet weather performance.

Really into my Scoob. This car has hidden depths that just keep revealing themself to me. I'm fortunate enough to live on the edge of Dartmoor - early morning, damp atmosphere, empty roads with visibilty for half a mile plus - life is great. Up through the gears, no need to rag it as the pull is so strong upto 5500 - 6000..... approach a 4th gear sweeper, knock it down with a little blip, drift gently through, balancing the throttle. Another short straight and then a dipping 3rd gear, postitive camber, right hander, nail it knowing it's going to stick. Turns almost immediately into a flat 2nd gear left hander, trail braking, back swinging around as it lightens up, front digging in nicely............

It really is the kind of drive that you dream about as a kid.
Old 25 July 2005, 05:07 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

REO40s - awful in the wet. They're alright for a laugh, plenty of involment and when shifting the weight forward after a smidgen of understeer, the oversteer is nicely controllable with a dab of opposite lock and a bit of gas.

Spinning up in second as I hit boost was interesting this evening. Just didn't expect it in a straight line. I wonder if they'll be more willing to grip when the rubber and oil has been washed thoroughly away from our roads?

Finally, on my favourite (empty, safe, etc.) roundabout this evening, a bit of a dry line started to develop. Things got a bit hairy when Scoob wanted to pirroette after I'd managed to get her rear offside tyre on the wet and front offside on the dry. Thank goodness the Scoob is so flattering.

Incidently, for what its worth and for those who replied above, i've decided my ideal set up would be the full PowerStation treatment. Rear-ARB, drop-links, geometry, anti-lift kit (subject to a bit more investigation) and the newly developed AST kit. Having read a lot and having followed, in part, the developement of the ASTs for British roads, I think the combination of the above would be hard to match.

Old 25 July 2005, 09:06 PM
C8 DHC 04WRX
Scooby Regular

i have re050's on mine - whats the difference?
Old 26 July 2005, 06:42 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C8 DHC 04WRX
i have re050's on mine - whats the difference?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE050

http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/bfe/v/...0000000377RCRD

http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/bfe/v/...0000000377RCRD

Different tread pattern?

Last edited by JTaylor; 26 July 2005 at 06:46 PM.