Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

2 POT REAR BRAKE CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2005, 04:10 PM
V2STI1996
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 POT REAR BRAKE CONVERSION

I have a v2 sti which i would like to fit some subaru 2 pot rear calipers on which i have picked up from my local breakers. I brought
  • 2 pot calipers
  • 2 pot discs
  • 2 pot pads
  • lh / rh hubs with hand brake shoes
These parts all came of a V4 sti and I have spent hours looking at both setups and can't seem to see the light on how to fit them. The drive shafts and bearings are larger on the v4 than the ones on the v2 and I just can't see how to convert them on??? HELP PLEASE
Old 28 July 2005, 05:56 PM
colin c
Scooby Regular

You will need the rear drive shafts and rear diff from the version 4 type R that you got the hubs and brakes from. The diff from the type R is a 180 unit, yours will be a 160 diff and the parts aren't interchangable.

Only problem is then the diff ratio ( 180 should be a 4.44:1 ) isn't going to match your diff in the gearbox which is most likely 4.11:1, could possibly even be 3.9:1. You will either need to change your front diff or use the gearbox from the type R.
Old 28 July 2005, 06:05 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First up, welcome to the world of Scoobynet!
I see you're a Dorset owner, check out the southern section and check for the meets, the next one is next monday at The Worlds End on the A31 at Winterborne Zelston.

On the topic of brakes, if you contact Dyney, through here, he's had brackets made to do exactly what you want to do, but retaining the original hubs etc....
Old 28 July 2005, 07:52 PM
V2STI1996
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by RON
First up, welcome to the world of Scoobynet!
I see you're a Dorset owner, check out the southern section and check for the meets, the next one is next monday at The Worlds End on the A31 at Winterborne Zelston.

On the topic of brakes, if you contact Dyney, through here, he's had brackets made to do exactly what you want to do, but retaining the original hubs etc....
Cheers Ron that sounds like just the plan any idea of wot their likely to cost?

Would like to try and meet up on Mon but the cars of the road whilst I try and sort out the brakes and a few other little niggly things.
Old 28 July 2005, 09:08 PM
colin c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
Ron Dyney used newage WRX brakes which retain the 170mm handbrake drum not the type R disc's which have a 190mm drum / handbrake set up. I don't know if the calipers are the same, if they are you could get newage WRX disc's that would retain your original handbrake assembly and hubs then buy some mounting brackets off Dyney. Dyney was talking about getting another batch of brackets produced, around the £120 mark I think.

I hope you have replaced the front brakes already or else you are going to have major brake imbalance unless your going to fit a bias valve.

Colin.
Old 28 July 2005, 10:23 PM
V2STI1996
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I managed to buy the front 4 pots and 2 pot rears of the car, then when I realised the issues with driveshafts and returned to scrappers they had scrapped the car with driveshafts, diff!!! and gearbox!!! as they had had no interest in the bits and that was all that was left!!!! To much space!?

Will all new age rear discs be the correct size or is it only sti ones etc?

I have sent Deney a PM about the brackets tonight so I will have to wait to hear if he's going to be making any more and how much he wants for them.

thanks for your advice
Old 28 July 2005, 10:52 PM
colin c
Scooby Regular

Newage WRX not STI rear disc's because these use the Brembro calipers and are different again.

To be honest I think the easiest solution is to buy secondhand newage WRX rear hub assemblies complete with disc's, calipers and handbrake cables and change the whole lot over onto your classic.

I can't believe they crushed the car with the gearbox and rear diff
Old 29 July 2005, 06:30 AM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V2STI1996,
Welcome to Scoobynet

YHPM back.
The thread I mentioned is here:
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=428646

I didn't realise you already had calipers etc

Can you measure the distance between caliper the mounting holes (centre to centre)
I expect they are the same as new age iones but I have never actually checked.

As Colin said above, I used the new age WRX disc as it has the same size handbrake drum (170mm) as apposed to the classic STI's 190mm.
So for a set of nice new discs and bling new brackets you'll be sorted