Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

One of those days.

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 12:22 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of those days.

First, on the way to work, I scraped my nearside, front wheel lightly on a kerb to avoid someone who thought their Corsa was 10' wide! Grrr.

Later, I decided to take the front wheels off the car last night to inspect the inside rims and tyres. Plus they were disgustingly dirty, so I thought I'd wonder wheels the entirety of the wheels, including the inside. Whilst I was at it I cleaned up the calipers too. I ran out of time before I could wonder wheels anything but managed to give both wheels a drenching.

Lesson 1: Plastic kitchen scourers DO take off lines of brake dust but also scratch the lacquer. Doh! Though I reckon that's recoverable with a little TLC and elbow grease. I noticed before doing the 'other' front wheel.

I also discovered the front, offside tyre has a bulge on the inside wall The nearside one is fine, which confused me until I remembered 'the rock'. A couple of months ago, both offside wheels ran over a large stone sitting in the road.

So this evening, I have the pleasure of removing and inspecting the offside ,rear wheel and tyre to see if that's knackered too. If so, <ker-ching> I reckon I'll need a set of four tyres.

Oh well, at least the alloys look true with no buckles.

J.
Old 25 August 2005, 04:41 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vindaloo
I also discovered the front, offside tyre has a bulge on the inside wall The nearside one is fine, which confused me until I remembered 'the rock'. A couple of months ago, both offside wheels ran over a large stone sitting in the road.

So this evening, I have the pleasure of removing and inspecting the offside ,rear wheel and tyre to see if that's knackered too. If so, <ker-ching> I reckon I'll need a set of four tyres.

Oh well, at least the alloys look true with no buckles.

J.
Didn't think of that happening. I clattered a boulder lying in the road on tuesday and bent my wheel a little. I'll have to check the inside of my tyre. Altho i need a new wheel and tyre. More expense
Old 26 August 2005, 11:54 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Took the rears off this morning to have a quick look. The offside rear also has a bulge?

Though to find it I had to run my hand around the circumference of the tyre. As opposed to the front one where initially I thought the rim was buckled.

All the wheels look straight though, so that's one thing off my mind. Now to get the tyres sorted...

J.