Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Odd tyre wear.

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 12:28 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd tyre wear.

Whilst my wheel(s) were off last night, I had a look at my tyres.

I'm running Goodyear F1 GSD3 XLs in 225/35x18s on a P1. Tyre pressures are normally 36 fronts and 33 rears. A bit over the recommended pressures of 34F, 32R that my garage would use.

Front tyres seem worn on both the inside and outside shoulders. The tread depth across the middle of the tyres is massive. There's no untoward movement or apparent slackness in the suspension, so I'm confused

I'm thinking of whacking the tyre pressures up another couple of PSI.

J.
Old 25 August 2005, 02:06 PM
Buck Rogers
Scooby Regular

I've got exactly the same issue with my tyres: I've used a couple of different brands at different pressures and they all end up the same. I'm currently running Potenza RE720's, which are great tyres - but same problem.

I'm convinced the wear is down to hard driving - I used to get this problem more on the left-hand edges of the tyres as most of my driving was on normal roads with a lot of traffic islands (they're springing up everywhere!), i.e. lots of high speed right handers; however, now my annual mileage has increased and I'm driving on many more twisty, Welsh A-roads the problem has manifested itself on both edges of the tyres - as you've described. The car is completely standard and, generally, very well maintained, but I have tended to drive it very hard, especially through bends and corners.

Last year the car failed the MoT on this - but I've since done some research and found that this is not grounds for a fail (see the Tyres section of the MoT Testers Manual on line at http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm). Hope this helps... has anyone got any other thoughts?

Buck
Old 26 August 2005, 12:03 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I've had a look at the rears this morning and they're no wear (pun) near as bad as the fronts. The rear tyre profile still looks like it has a square shoulder and the moulding 'spikes' or WTF they are called of rubber are still apparent.

The tyre pressures weren't what they should be, down to 31 PSI, so that'll get sorted this evening.

As to how the fronts get knackered... Maybe a combination of negative camber and the tyre rolling on the rim. i.e The insides always wear unless cornering when the outsides get mullered...

J.