Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2006, 04:46 PM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade???

What is the most effective brake upgrade to an 2002 WRX. I have Ferodo DS2500 pads on the front and that helps, but im after a sharper pedal.

Will braided pipes help or do I invest in some new slotted discs front and back?

Any tips or suggestions would be welcome!
Old 27 January 2006, 04:56 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hi m8 yes fitting goodridge hoses will make an improvement as you will eliminate the spongyness off the standard hoses. The other item to fit is a bracket to prevent the brake servo/master cylinder moving as you press the brake pedal due to flex of the bulk head. Click on thread below to see one on e-bay I have fitted one to my bugeye STi and also a mate has fitted one and likes it alot. This thread is for a wrx 2001.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-WRX-200...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 27 January 2006, 05:10 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by 360ste
Hi m8 yes fitting goodridge hoses will make an improvement as you will eliminate the spongyness off the standard hoses. The other item to fit is a bracket to prevent the brake servo/master cylinder moving as you press the brake pedal due to flex of the bulk head. Click on thread below to see one on e-bay I have fitted one to my bugeye STi and also a mate has fitted one and likes it alot. This thread is for a wrx 2001.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-WRX-200...QQcmdZViewItem

Just waiting for mine to be delivered, had one on my classic as well, they do make a difference. Also had Goodridge lines an my classic and literally just had them put on my newage today.
No more in different braking now, just bedding in my new pads as well(Pagid RS4.2-1's) Thought I'd make a change from the usual DS2500's
Old 27 January 2006, 08:31 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

^^^^

Richie we're going to end up with near identical cars (albeit one red one blue)..!

I'm just about to fit a set of goodridge hoses and pagid 421's. I presume you've been running the OEM brake setup till now, did you ever notice the pedal 'pulsing' under heavy braking..?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have the prodrive spring kit fitted to your scoob, did the drop increase after they had been on a few weeks..?

IIRC newage cars have stiffer bulkheads and therefore the master cylinder dosen't need bracing..!
Old 27 January 2006, 10:59 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by jasonius
^^^^

Richie we're going to end up with near identical cars (albeit one red one blue)..!

I'm just about to fit a set of goodridge hoses and pagid 421's. I presume you've been running the OEM brake setup till now, did you ever notice the pedal 'pulsing' under heavy braking..?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have the prodrive spring kit fitted to your scoob, did the drop increase after they had been on a few weeks..?

IIRC newage cars have stiffer bulkheads and therefore the master cylinder dosen't need bracing..!
Yeah the springs settled after a few weeks, but TBH never really had the car with standard springs as I got the dealer to fit Prodrives before I picked it up.

Never noticed any pulsing and only had the ABS kicking in when braking over man hole covers.
Old 29 January 2006, 04:20 PM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Looks like a good idea...... does it require any extra hole drilling or are they already there??? Also how much do you think a garage would charge to change the hoses over to the better ones?
Old 29 January 2006, 08:22 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by ricardo_wrx
Looks like a good idea...... does it require any extra hole drilling or are they already there??? Also how much do you think a garage would charge to change the hoses over to the better ones?
Braided lines are a straight swap, no drilling, got them from Alyn, great price for Goodridge with full stainless stell fittings.

Garage charged me a couple of hours labour, supplied my own brake fluid, again from Alyn.

Breke brackets are also direct bolt ons with no drilling.