Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Toyo T1-R Vs Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2006, 04:03 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo T1-R Vs Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Any opinions?? I find the wall on the F1 roles too much. Is the Toyo a good tyre?
Old 14 March 2006, 05:34 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll avoid tech talk here. I've had both makes in various different sizes. The Eagles are in a different league - great in the dry, incredible in the wet, consistent wear. Once the Toyos have had a bit of wear, the first time you lean on them in the wet, you'll end up in a ditch. IMHO of course.
Old 14 March 2006, 06:23 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up

F1
Old 14 March 2006, 06:30 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

You get what you pay for...that's why the F1's are more expensive
Old 14 March 2006, 07:02 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
You get what you pay for...that's why the F1's are more expensive
They're cheaper.....

Honest.

I like the F1's, good track tyre to (as far as road tyres go) but the tyre wall is so soft!!!!
Old 14 March 2006, 07:28 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
They're cheaper.....

Honest.

I like the F1's, good track tyre to (as far as road tyres go) but the tyre wall is so soft!!!!
I've never seen F1's cheaper than Toyo's.
Old 14 March 2006, 07:47 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Once the Toyos have had a bit of wear, the first time you lean on them in the wet, you'll end up in a ditch. IMHO of course.
Disagree completely with this comment! If you endED up in a ditch with the Toyo T1-R in the dry or wet then I would say you would have been driving like a maniac - beyond the conditions. These tyres are a very good all round tyre.

I'm not saying the Eagles arn't a better or worse tyre as I have no experience of these.

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
They're cheaper.....

Honest.
Think you'll find the Eagles are considerably more expensive from just about anywhere. Current Toyo T1R's I have (215/45/17) were £70 each - don't reckon you will get an Eagle for that price - someone may know different?

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2006, 07:50 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

never had personal experience, but ive have heard a few people, including one race instuuctor say the toyo t1r are ok except for the soft sidewalls, which doesnt inspire confidence and makes the call roll
Old 14 March 2006, 09:34 PM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

I find the Toyo's a very good all round Tyre and yes I must admit the F1's are more expensive by at least £1.20 www.mytyres.co.uk (235/40/18)
Old 14 March 2006, 10:28 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Earlier today, the Toyo was more expensive on a 195/50/15 than the F1 GSD3. www.mytyres.co.uk

....only by a couple of quid but still.
Old 14 March 2006, 10:33 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

the f1s have won car magazine test year after year i need i say more? i also have eagle f1s! and there the dogs bits!
Old 16 March 2006, 10:20 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Palmo
Disagree completely with this comment! If you endED up in a ditch with the Toyo T1-R in the dry or wet then I would say you would have been driving like a maniac - beyond the conditions. These tyres are a very good all round tyre.

I'm not saying the Eagles arn't a better or worse tyre as I have no experience of these.
Please let's not get into presuming you know people's driving experience or capabilities. As I said I was keeping it to simple advice, and my opinion is formed over years of using Eagles and Toyos (when they were on special!) myself, and of friends' with similar experience.

My opinion is that I do not trust Toyos in the wet, but I know that if there is grip to be had in the rain, in any condition, Eagles will find it. With tyres, unlike many other things, you do get what you pay for. The first time you see a patch of standing water on the motorway, **** yourself because there's no room to pull into the slow lane, and then you bite straight through it like a hot knife through butter, no hassles at all, you will be glad you bought the Goodyears.
Old 16 March 2006, 11:07 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Please let's not get into presuming you know people's driving experience or capabilities. As I said I was keeping it to simple advice, and my opinion is formed over years of using Eagles and Toyos (when they were on special!) myself, and of friends' with similar experience.

My opinion is that I do not trust Toyos in the wet, but I know that if there is grip to be had in the rain, in any condition, Eagles will find it. With tyres, unlike many other things, you do get what you pay for. The first time you see a patch of standing water on the motorway, **** yourself because there's no room to pull into the slow lane, and then you bite straight through it like a hot knife through butter, no hassles at all, you will be glad you bought the Goodyears.
Not intending to presume I know other people's driving experience or capabilities.

My comments were based around my experiences with the Toyo's (T1R's). I have, on occasions, leant on these in the wet and have found them very predicable and have always been able to find plenty of grip - I frequently use some very demanding A & B roads. I maintain that to end up in a ditch with these, a driver would have to be driving well beyond the conditions, their abilities or both - and that is taking into account that Subaru's are performance cars, that were designed to be driven accordingly.

I personally have a lot of experience of driving performance vehicles (both on public roads and the track) and whilst not up to WRC driving standards consider myself to be competent. Again, I am not disagreeing that the Eagles are better or worse as I have no experience of these and so cannot comment. You obviously have experience of the Eagles & Toyo's (is this the T1R?) and prefer them - thats fine! However, I don't believe the Toyo is a poor tyre IMHO.

As for driving through standing water, I have done so many times - and at speed - and can also say that Toyo's are more than adequate at cutting through standing water with confidence.
Old 17 March 2006, 07:47 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

In my 6 years of Scooby driving, I started off on F1s. There is no doubt in my mind that they are a very good tyre for the money.

I thought I'd change to the Toyos, and I was VERY impressed with how good they were. The only difference I noticed was a little more road noise, and they took a little longer to bed in and get some grip.

Many others have found the same with the Toyos - until you bed them in, they aren't all that hot. But up until I flogged my Scoob a couple of weeks ago, it was Toyos all the way.

And at a price that won't break the bank

Now driving on Michelin Pilot Sports - not bad at all, albeit a little bit pricey.

Dan
Old 17 March 2006, 08:07 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I've run 2 set's of F1's and my first set of T1R's have covered over 10K miles in the last 6 months.

Both are excellent tyres, wet or dry, fast driving in bad conditions is not a problem for the Toyo's.

As for tyre wear the main factor for outside/inside rubbing off is tracking, or track days and tyre pressures, IMO nothing whatsoever to do with the tyre.

Buy both with confidence, although take care for the first few hundred miles, as any tyre needs some mileage before it reaches it's peak performance.