Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wilwood Users - your thoughts please.

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2006, 02:46 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilwood Users - your thoughts please.

I will shortly be organising a group buy on the Wilwood 6-pot kits and have found out as much as I can by searching the forums.

While most comments have been very positive I just want to see if the lack of dust seals have caused any problems and any other comments you may like to share.

I'm not interested in hearing comments from people who have not had them.. i.e. "I've heard that..." "My mate gav said"

Many thanks
Old 18 March 2006, 03:53 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you asked on the www.P1woc.co.uk forum i believe that someone over there was selling wilwood kits maybe worth a try.

I've also had direct experience of them on a stage rally car (not a Subaru mind)and in the 2yrs we used them we had no issues with the lack of dust seals, and believe me that car saw more mud and dust in 2 yrs than most road cars will see in a life time.

Will the group by be posted on here? maybe tempted to replace my Brembo's.

Last edited by RoRu; 18 March 2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 18 March 2006, 09:45 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks RoRu, I'll take a look on the P1oc.

Yes I'll be posting up on here but just want to give first refusal to my members on www.scoobycity.co.uk first as I only want to bring over 12 sets max.
Old 19 March 2006, 09:13 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I have bought at least 5 kits for my car and friends over here and almost all are happy with their performance.
The absence of dust seals isn't problem with these brakes, their calipers aren't so solid as AP or other kits thus in extreme conditions have some distortion (=softer pedal) and they are prone to warp discs so if you organise the group buy DON'T buy the drilled/grooved combo discs only the "group N" grooved!
It's the best value for money kit in the market and you won't be dissapointed from what you take for your money.
At least they outperform most of the much more expensive known brake kits in the market.
The Polymatrix pads they come with are very bad, you can use with the group N Wilwood discs for road/light track use the new Yellowsuffs type R pads but you can find also Mintex, Pagid and Ferodo pads for these brakes if you won't mind to sharpen them a little as they are little bit thicker from standard SL6 pads.
JIM
Old 19 March 2006, 11:49 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

I've just had a four pot/330mm disc kit from compbrake.co.uk fitted at TSL. They liked the quality of the kit on the whole, it fitted easily and feels great on the car, but no dust seals, so I'm interested to see what happens....
Old 20 March 2006, 04:26 PM
DannyBoyTurbo
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jim/Cat2

Details of the group buy is here.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=501109

Not sure which pads you were refering to but they've given me a choice of 3 so hopfully this new BP-10 is better?
Old 20 March 2006, 04:47 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

If you can buy them without pads, this is my experience and have tried two of their pads, Polymatrix Q and BP10 compound, they are good thought for bedding in the brakes...
I use the Yellowstuffs 1793 compound, much better initial bite from Redstuffs and better overall pad.
There are many USA brands that have pads for this brake kit.