Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Will 17" Blobeye WRX alloys fit Bugeye Sti??

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2006, 09:31 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 17" Blobeye WRX alloys fit Bugeye Sti??

I'm after some wheels for a track day and have seen some standard 17" WRX blobeye wheels. Question is will they fit an 02 Bugeye Sti Type UK with Brembos ok? (I'm running 18" Prodrive OZ alloys which I've always had on there)

All help appreciated.
Old 23 March 2006, 10:51 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

No.

The shape of the WRX spokes do not clear the front brembos

David
Old 28 March 2006, 06:52 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DR Motorsport
No.

The shape of the WRX spokes do not clear the front brembos

David
Cheers for the advice. Does anyone know if you can get around this by fitting wheel spacers?
Old 28 March 2006, 10:32 AM
JohnS

Possibly, but I think you would want to change the wheel studs & nuts for longer versions. I wouldn't risk pushing the car on track with only a few mm of thread available.

Also using spacers will affect the track width of the car, and you'll be applying more forces on the bearings etc. The tyres on the WRX alloys woudl be a different size/profile also, which could affect gearing.

For track use I would recommend getting a set of 17 inch Sti alloys which you could probably pick up for a few hundred pounds. You could also sell your WRX alloys for a similar amount, but at least you would end up with wheels designed for the job with no adverse affects.

John
Old 28 March 2006, 11:07 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnS
Possibly, but I think you would want to change the wheel studs & nuts for longer versions. I wouldn't risk pushing the car on track with only a few mm of thread available.

Also using spacers will affect the track width of the car, and you'll be applying more forces on the bearings etc. The tyres on the WRX alloys woudl be a different size/profile also, which could affect gearing.

For track use I would recommend getting a set of 17 inch Sti alloys which you could probably pick up for a few hundred pounds. You could also sell your WRX alloys for a similar amount, but at least you would end up with wheels designed for the job with no adverse affects.

John
Cheers for the advice John I was a bit dubious about putting wheel spacers on and then putting the strain of a full track day on them. Was watching a set of 17" Sti Alloys on ebay t'other day put shot up from about £80 to £400 in half a day. Yikes!!