Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Cheapest place for AP 6 pots?

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2006, 03:18 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cheapest place for AP 6 pots?

I've decided that the stopping power of my 03 wrx needs upgrading before any power mods.
I've been hunting round the web for AP's but there doesn't seem to be much variation in price (limited by AP themselves?).

Are 6 pots really necessary for hard road use? I might go on to the track once or twice a year but it's mainly for the road. I really want the 330mm discs though, and there only seems to be £100-£150 difference in the price of the 4pot and 6pot kits with the 330mm discs. Will they fit under 17's or should I wait and fit the 18s I have (planned on doing a track day to 'use up' the tyres on my standard wheels first).

Matt
Old 06 December 2006, 05:14 PM
bugeyewrx
Scooby Regular

I've got AP 6 pots with 335mm Godspeed disks and they fit under the stock 17" rims , but only if you don't get the balance weights stuck on the inside I've also got a set of Atec Ultralights and they clear easily . But from what I've read not all 17" will clear .

martin
Old 06 December 2006, 06:30 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Why oh why do we get these threads all the time???

AP's cost a lot simple as. Your not gonna find a place selling them for a price way under what anyone else is selling them for!

If you want the best you've got to prepared to pay for it!

I've got the AP 6 pot 355 front kit and the 4 pot 335 rear kit. Cost me £2700 in total from RCMS. Worth every penny too!
Old 06 December 2006, 07:19 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

I just bought my AP 6 pots with 355mm discs (AP Discs) from Roger Clark Motorsport, cost £1654.18 all in & delivered in two days. They were the cheapest i could find searching the web.
Old 06 December 2006, 07:33 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRA
Why oh why do we get these threads all the time???

AP's cost a lot simple as. Your not gonna find a place selling them for a price way under what anyone else is selling them for!

If you want the best you've got to prepared to pay for it!

I've got the AP 6 pot 355 front kit and the 4 pot 335 rear kit. Cost me £2700 in total from RCMS. Worth every penny too!
Well thanks Mr Happy, I was merely asking for suggestions on where I would get the best price from, not asking whether I should wait till they come free inside a box a cornflakes

P1 Fek, thanks for that! that's £200 cheaper than I've found anywhere else
Old 06 December 2006, 07:50 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 388 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by P1 FEK
I just bought my AP 6 pots with 355mm discs (AP Discs) from Roger Clark Motorsport, cost £1654.18 all in & delivered in two days. They were the cheapest i could find searching the web.

you paid slightly above current RRP by about £20, most people won't advertise anything other than retail cost on the websites............

alyn
Old 06 December 2006, 09:26 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Well thanks Mr Happy, I was merely asking for suggestions on where I would get the best price from, not asking whether I should wait till they come free inside a box a cornflakes

P1 Fek, thanks for that! that's £200 cheaper than I've found anywhere else
Yes I know what you were asking fella, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to try and save a few quid but your just not gonna find them for sale a few hundred quid cheaper, simple as. RCMS has massive clout and if anyone could sell them cheaper it would be them IMHO, but they simply can't as the price they buy them direct from AP from just doesn't allow it.

You get what you pay for in this world, and if you wnat the best you've got to be prepared to pay for it.

Either way, good luck with your purchase. You've now entered a different level of braking ability
Old 06 December 2006, 09:59 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

You can get the price down by using the cheaper Godspeed brake discs and brackets, and buying the kit from them. For 330mm 6Pots I think the price is about £1300 - could be wrong with that price. Give him a call.

However my mate bought a brand new set still boxed of 330mm 6 pots on eBay for £1000, and fitted them to his WRX ra. I know this because he sold me the car nice and cheap with them still fitted.
Old 06 December 2006, 10:23 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Nice one
Heard the Godspeed name mentioned before. Will them a ring/email tomorrow
Old 06 December 2006, 11:35 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

Sorry I forgot to mention I also ordered an oil filter when bought those brakes so you can knock £6.53 off that price but it did include delivery of what was two heavy boxes, over 30kg in total.
Just thought it's worth mentioning again that the Godspeed Kit is cheaper because they supply they're own discs, bells and brackets and not AP Racings, not that theres anything wrong with the Godspeed kits it's just down to personal choice. I just wanted the 355mm AP kit, again personal choice as there are other cheaper big brake kits out there but each to they're own.
Old 06 December 2006, 11:59 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Also try this fella
Old 07 December 2006, 12:59 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Matt,

for your intended use forget the 6-pots and try to get a set of second hand brembos from an STi, there are other options but they may not be as straight forward. Good pad selection and decent fluid will see you with more than adequate braking for road use and for the occasional trackday you could add some ducting to help cool the discs/calipers which I find are their only downfall.

The AP 4-pot/330mm kits will provide enough braking to lock your wheels with road tyres so you'll see no benefit in the 6-pots unless this is addressed with full slicks or tyres with similar grip levels.
Something else to consider is pad cost; the 6 pot pads are considerably more expensive than the 4 pots.

The AP 330mm kit uses the 5570 caliper.

As already mentioned the Godspeed 'AP kits' contain some of their own products and as such are not directly comparable to the official AP kits. Might also be worth trying a search before parting with any money.
Old 07 December 2006, 10:58 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

buy them from alyn at as performance, not just competative but a bloody nice bloke.
Old 07 December 2006, 07:34 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Matt,

for your intended use forget the 6-pots and try to get a set of second hand brembos from an STi, there are other options but they may not be as straight forward. Good pad selection and decent fluid will see you with more than adequate braking for road use and for the occasional trackday you could add some ducting to help cool the discs/calipers which I find are their only downfall.

The AP 4-pot/330mm kits will provide enough braking to lock your wheels with road tyres so you'll see no benefit in the 6-pots unless this is addressed with full slicks or tyres with similar grip levels.
Something else to consider is pad cost; the 6 pot pads are considerably more expensive than the 4 pots.

Sound advise there.....
I opeted for 6 pots, but managed to get a set of genuine AP's on fleabay...
However I like to use mine on track and road, so decided that i didn't want to compromise, even if the pads are Bl**dy expensive
Old 08 December 2006, 11:08 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

The other thing to remember is the unsprung weight penalty (something that will effect the handling/response of your car if it's excessive)..! 355 with 6pots look nice but they weigh heavier than the 330 with 4 pots. As Mocom says, for mainly road use 6pots with 355's are way overkill. Outright performance is about getting the right balance without going overboard. An extreme example; you wouldn't get an F1 team fitting a heavier/bigger brake than necessary, only to be carrying it around and slowing them down..!

Have you tried some decent pads, braided hoses and fluid on your WRX..? If not then I'd suggest giving this a try as for <£200 you may find this setup more than adequate for fast road use (ie 10x better than the OEM setup)..
Old 08 December 2006, 12:06 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Aye, the car did have new pads put in when I brought it but I'm not sure what they were (garage couldn't tell me). So perhaps I'm being overly negative about the OEM setup.
I'm down at Mocom next Friday so I'll get Zak to have a look at them.
Thanks for the replies chaps!
Old 08 December 2006, 10:53 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

He just fitted my AP4s
Old 09 December 2006, 07:48 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
He just fitted my AP4s
which one's and where/how much..?
Old 11 December 2006, 05:34 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Adam M
buy them from alyn at as performance, not just competative but a bloody nice bloke.
same here very helpful and delivered quickly
martin
Old 12 December 2006, 08:26 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

You need to pick the right setup for your driving style. This may sound daft, but i spent a lot of money on StopTech kit, and then changing the pads before time at £160 to find a pad that suits my driving style.
With good old hindsight, i could have saved myself a fortune going at it differently and still got good braking out of it.
But it has to be said, now i have these different pads they are now what i would class as awesome. And they brake hard without fetching the ABS in as well, unless the road is ****e and bumpy then the ABS comes in. LOL.
You have 2 easy choices really, if you wanna go overkill and just have the "best" then get the AP 4 pot kit, this is more than enough.
2nd choice is to phone one of the ppl above, Alyn, or Mocom, and get some other kit or parts to make your current setup work well for you.
Old 12 December 2006, 08:31 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

On Sunday I fitted my new AP racing 6pots & 355mm discs with standard size grooved discs and some fast road pads and although they are still being bedded in they are awesome.
Old 12 December 2006, 09:56 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Matt,

As already mentioned the Godspeed 'AP kits' contain some of their own products and as such are not directly comparable to the official AP kits. Might also be worth trying a search before parting with any money.
Excellent point this.
I've got a new age JDM STi with the Brembo's, replaced the brake fluid with better fluid and use Mintex 1155's front , 1144's rear.
The cars done at least a dozen track days, usually with Yokohama moulded slicks fitted; and never once have I had any brake fade or any type of poor performance from them. In the dry with the slicks I can bring in on the ABS - so it's not as if I'm not trying.

However, I've also bought a Classic WRX ra, stripped out to about 1100kg and pushing the 300bhp mark. So equally as quick if not quicker than the STi.
This car is fitted with coilovers, and also AP 6 pots with 330mm discs and DS2500 pads.
And I can honestly say that any improvement over the Brembo's is so small I haven't noticed yet.
But when both are still "coldish", the brembo's are better, but that's probably down to the Mintex pads over the Ferodo's.

So anyone who spends £1500 for AP's to replace their Brembo's on a new age STi is mad. For a lot less money, better fluid and pads (the standard STi pads are too soft) can bring great improvements.
For a Classic owner with early 2 pots - well nearly anything is better. But look for a second hand set of brembos and save a lot of money.
Old 13 December 2006, 01:16 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCR59
Excellent point this.
I've got a new age JDM STi with the Brembo's, replaced the brake fluid with better fluid and use Mintex 1155's front , 1144's rear.
The cars done at least a dozen track days, usually with Yokohama moulded slicks fitted; and never once have I had any brake fade or any type of poor performance from them. In the dry with the slicks I can bring in on the ABS - so it's not as if I'm not trying.

However, I've also bought a Classic WRX ra, stripped out to about 1100kg and pushing the 300bhp mark. So equally as quick if not quicker than the STi.
This car is fitted with coilovers, and also AP 6 pots with 330mm discs and DS2500 pads.
And I can honestly say that any improvement over the Brembo's is so small I haven't noticed yet.
But when both are still "coldish", the brembo's are better, but that's probably down to the Mintex pads over the Ferodo's.

So anyone who spends £1500 for AP's to replace their Brembo's on a new age STi is mad. For a lot less money, better fluid and pads (the standard STi pads are too soft) can bring great improvements.
For a Classic owner with early 2 pots - well nearly anything is better. But look for a second hand set of brembos and save a lot of money.
Your obviously not trying hard enough then when on track.

The AP 6 Pots are far superior to the standard Brembo's in track situations. Been there done that and the difference is phenominal. My braking distances with the AP 6 pots is far shorter then the standard Brembo's...... but then you would expect it to be. IMHO the AP's deliver exactly what they are supposed to do.

Just for comparison.... I was braking from 135mph at the LAST marker down the back straight at Snetterton, which immediately goes in to a 90deg left hander. With more ***** I could of broke even later with more speed (sorry..... my **** was falling out of my pants at that speed for braking to a 90degree'er ). Standard Brembo's would not be able to take that abuse...... and the car was on track for over 60 laps with no brake fade what so ever.

Using the ABS as a "trying hard" thing is not conclusive mate. I can invoke the ABS at 40mph if I stamp on the brakes hard enough. You can only judge performance by continued braking, ideally at very high speeds and with short, hard braking distances.

It's horses for courses..... so I agree for normal road use it may be a bit overkill. But you start pushing the car and you will soon find the shortcomings of the OE stuff..... regardless of using new brake pads and lines or not.
Old 14 December 2006, 06:55 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bugeyewrx
I've got AP 6 pots with 335mm Godspeed disks and they fit under the stock 17" rims , but only if you don't get the balance weights stuck on the inside I've also got a set of Atec Ultralights and they clear easily . But from what I've read not all 17" will clear .

martin
How much are the Godspeed Disk's I have the AP 4 pot's will they fit o.k I need 330mm disks !
Old 20 December 2006, 09:33 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by webmaster
Your obviously not trying hard enough then when on track.

The AP 6 Pots are far superior to the standard Brembo's in track situations. Been there done that and the difference is phenominal. My braking distances with the AP 6 pots is far shorter then the standard Brembo's...... but then you would expect it to be. IMHO the AP's deliver exactly what they are supposed to do.

Just for comparison.... I was braking from 135mph at the LAST marker down the back straight at Snetterton, which immediately goes in to a 90deg left hander. With more ***** I could of broke even later with more speed (sorry..... my **** was falling out of my pants at that speed for braking to a 90degree'er ). Standard Brembo's would not be able to take that abuse...... and the car was on track for over 60 laps with no brake fade what so ever.
Agreed - brembos reach their limit.

Mine have done a few track days and with my increasing experience and zak @ mocom's increasing amount of tuning on the car, the limit is there now.

I cannot brake at the 1 marker on that straight at Snetterton or certainly not for more than once. Normally braking is at number 2 marker with brembos but then only for about 5 laps before the pedal gets too soft.

And that is after changing to DS2500 pads all round, braided hoses and racing brake fluid.

Result - discs are now pringled after a few tracks day but got to their limit at Cadwell and Snetterton.

There comes a point where throwing money at what are essentially road calipers to try and get them to work on track is not worth it. AP strap drives will help I think but the calipers still get too hot so need to solve that problem then. I am hoping that AP 6 pots will solve this problem once an dfor all so that I can move on and ask Zak to make my car even faster
Old 20 December 2006, 09:47 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Agreed - brembos reach their limit.

Mine have done a few track days and with my increasing experience and zak @ mocom's increasing amount of tuning on the car, the limit is there now.

I cannot brake at the 1 marker on that straight at Snetterton or certainly not for more than once. Normally braking is at number 2 marker with brembos but then only for about 5 laps before the pedal gets too soft.

And that is after changing to DS2500 pads all round, braided hoses and racing brake fluid.

Result - discs are now pringled after a few tracks day but got to their limit at Cadwell and Snetterton.

There comes a point where throwing money at what are essentially road calipers to try and get them to work on track is not worth it. AP strap drives will help I think but the calipers still get too hot so need to solve that problem then. I am hoping that AP 6 pots will solve this problem once an dfor all so that I can move on and ask Zak to make my car even faster
But DS2500 are still fast road pads.... DS3000 for the track!!!
Old 20 December 2006, 10:13 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they would have warped even more