Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Michelin Pilot Sports vs Pirelli P-Zero Rossos

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2006, 04:09 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sports vs Pirelli P-Zero Rossos

Need to replace my front RE070 (the 235/45/17's that come with JDM cars). Giving up trying to source them from importers ... too expensive. So I'm considering either Pilot Sports or P-Zero Rossos as both appear similar to the Bridgestones.

Anyone on here had experience of either of these? Mainly used for fast road and track with a little bit of long-distance driving (usually to or from tracks of some kind).

Cheers,

Paul
Old 22 December 2006, 05:01 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul

I can’t answer your question regarding the Pirelli v Michelin tyres I afraid.
Are you only looking at replacing only the front ones, as personally I’d be reticent to have different types front and rear on mine?

Another option would be to get hold on the 225/45-17 versions that came with the UK/Euro MY05+ models. i.e https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...ighlight=re070
Old 23 December 2006, 07:05 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I'm a bit reticent too but the rears have only covered 2000 miles as I replaced them due to another puncture (notbeen my lucky year with tyres). I looked at the 225's but they are actually smaller in diameter as well as width ... leads to an under-reading speedo and will change the handling significantly.

I think I'm going to try the PS2s and see how I get on with mistmatched front and rear. If its a nightmare, I'll change the rears too.

Would still be interested if anyone has experience of going from 070s to either the Michelins or the Pirellis
Old 23 December 2006, 11:13 AM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

Ive has both tyres but on a different car (M3 E46) and found the ps2 Extra load were alot better that the pirelli's in the wet and dry and the noise with the pirellis was unbearable.
Old 23 December 2006, 02:13 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spec-cie
Yeah, I'm a bit reticent too but the rears have only covered 2000 miles as I replaced them due to another puncture (notbeen my lucky year with tyres). I looked at the 225's but they are actually smaller in diameter as well as width ... leads to an under-reading speedo and will change the handling significantly.

I think I'm going to try the PS2s and see how I get on with mistmatched front and rear. If its a nightmare, I'll change the rears too.

Would still be interested if anyone has experience of going from 070s to either the Michelins or the Pirellis
currently running PS2's on my 05 sti mate, type uk so 225 REO70's.

difference positives is better wet and damp grip, no tramlining and a much nicer, less harsh ride. quieter aswell.

negatives are less rim protection (especially with your wider profile) and they look pants, too rounded at the shoulders and i expect them to wear quite badly on the shoulders if i push them hard. the downside of a softer tyre
oh, and don't push them as hard as your REO70's in the dry, they just can't compete! they are a bit pricey aswell!

great all round tyre personally though i would change all 4, i don't think it'll handle at all well with different brands.

goodyear F1 is a good all round tyre aswell and can be had for a much more reasonable price.

anything else i can help with just ask
Old 23 December 2006, 08:19 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spec-cie

If you have a look here MRC TechTip - Tyre sizing chart you'll see that there's hardly any difference in the rolling radius between the 225 and 235 tyres. It works out at 1.03% difference which I doubt you'd ever notice speedo wise.
Old 23 December 2006, 09:41 PM
Kane STi
Scooby Regular

Hi
have the PS2 on my 03 STi in 225/40/18. Very good tyre in dry and wet. They took some abuse on the ring this year without any problem. Also no problem with shoulder wear.

Never had Pirellis, so can't say anything about these.

Serge
Old 24 December 2006, 11:57 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Mike Wood was recommending some P-zero's as optimum tyres for the MY05 cars, but it wasn't the Rossos. Could have been Corsa assimetrico's (sp?).

Had a search. Here you go. Ahh sorry just noticed, these are 18" only.

Last edited by Chelspeed; 24 December 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 24 December 2006, 02:02 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies fellas ... some food for thought here. I was interested in the Rossos as Iain Litchfield used these on one of his cars for a while but I can't find enough people who will recommend them.

I guess I'll soon find out how hard I can push SP2's compared to the RE070's!

Robocop - I've seen 225's next to my 235's and the difference certainly looked greater than the 1% from the chart. Also, I wonder whether 225 RE070s are more or less grippy than 235 SP2s?
Old 24 December 2006, 02:08 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

If your going to use Pirelli's go for the P Zero Corsa Assimetrico. It's the one best suited for an Impreza on UK roads. Mike Wood highly recommends it.
Old 24 December 2006, 09:13 PM
kev m
Scooby Regular

I have fitted PS2'S to my 06 STI as the front REO70's were shot on the out side edges, thanks to Subaru's standard geometry set up. Having done about 1000 miles on them now i am finding them a good allround tyre, possibly not able to push them as hard in the corners as the REO70's in the dry. But giving that we are not getting dry roads at the moment ( wet,muddy slippery winter roads) i am happy with the PS2's.
I will look for another set of Standard STI wheels & tyres REO70's in the spring and keep the wheels with the PS2's on for next winter.
I used to run Pirelli P Zero's a few years ago on a Series Mcrae Impreza good allround tyre but they only did about 7,000 miles before they needed swapping where the PS2'S would do about 10,000.
This is only my view & others will have different views.
Old 28 December 2006, 08:59 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

powerstation usually have the re070s - but next time round Im gonna try the A048s Yokos - which is a track based tyre